UE1 - UT Corrupted Map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

msgee

May 11, 2014
Hey Guys,
First post, I've made a few maps back in the day for UT, there was one that I worked on for weeks maybe months, my computer crapped out and I lost my backups, but I had the most recent file. When I went into UnrealEd to open up my map again, it was corrupted, nothing showed up. I may be missing a texture pack, but is there anything I can do to try to salvage it? It's been bugging me for over 6 years that I never finished the map.

I've attached the file, does anybody know what I could try?

Attachments

• CTF-Metro.zip
    668.2 KB · Views: 19

msgee

May 11, 2014
Yea I'm missing my custom texture package that I made back then. When I open the level I basically see nothing, it looks the same as a new blank map, but the file is almost 3mb. Would my one missing texture pack cause this? I've even tried recreating the pack, but I don't think I remember what was in it (over 6 years ago). The log file looks like its building all the other textures that I have in there, but nothing is showing up.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
To get the map back, couldn't you copy a texture map, rename it the file you're missing, something like that? Or, import the map's brushes to a blank map so they'd be all default textures, but it would open at least?

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Yes Luv_Studd.

The map looks empty because the editor gives up on trying to load it as soon as he finds a missing resource. You can work around this by creating a dummy package. Create a package with the same name and import a texture (it can be a 16*16 white image for all you care) under the same name as the texture it wants. Then try to load the map. It will probaby not work either because the editor will find usually another missing texture from the same package. Import a second dummy texture under the new name (it can be the same white square if you import it with a different name). Work your way up this way to the point you can load the map and salvage the geometry.
This might be long depending on how many custom assets you used, and even longer if you used several custom packages.. You can do the same with actors, sounds and all other needed assets. All that UnrealEd really cares about is that there is a texture/sound/actor with the right name at the right place in a package with the right name.

msgee

May 11, 2014
:DDDD
Got it to work with the above method. It was actually missing two custom texture packs (i checked in the editor log), for one of them I just renamed some existing texture pack to the one I was missing, the other I was able to find on a CD backup I had from 15 years ago. Loaded both up and the map works (albeit with some stuff missing), but at least the main geometry is there. Thanks guys, such a relief.