Stand-Alone Red Orchestra Coming to Steam in January

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

communist

Mar 19, 2002
Vandenberg Airbase
Visit site
The question is do I or anyone other average gamer care about yet another WW2 shooter (regardless of its qualities - because I dont see a big marketing campaign) and that bundled with the joy that is STEAM?

Well I dont.

Anyway good luck - you're gonna need it ;)

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Unregistered said:
Too bad you didn't get a deal to do it on the 3.0 u-engine, cause it's going to destroy valve/steam. I think SplinterCell:CT is way better than anything in hl2 source and that's not even next gen, but it looks great.

They DID get a deal to do it on the UE 3.0 engine as well as on 2.5

MjM

Nov 22, 2005
Call me a steam fanboy if you must!

But I'm really happy for RO. Its a take on FPS that hasn't really been seen in the HL series, mainly because the HL engines have been limited in map size and vehicles arnt easily implemented. I'm sure it will find a good player base. And if the steam server monitor is utilised, then its VERY good indeed!!!

The steam community is not all CS kiddies, as it is put. Steam plays host to innovative games such as Natural Selection and Garrysmod, that have seen relative popularity. Even Alien Swarm is migrating to Valve tech.

Mainly, ill be happy i don't have to install that massive UT2k4 package ... just to play RO!

But all things considered steam is a proven piece of technology these days, sure its still missing some features and it has its complainants, but its more good than bad. At least in my view. Also i don't see how its anymore invasive than any software updater, whether it be an OS, Anti-virus, et cetera. Its messaging system can be switched off, but that is the best part about steam, easy marketing of your software, via Valve weekly updates!

And if Darwinia is anything to go by, Linux distributions can still be handled through the dev's site if they so desire.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
The idea behind steam (e.g. electronic distribution) is good, and in fact the future. But steam itself isn't the way it should be. The only thing steam added to the electronic distribution of games was a dedicated (intrusive) client and a propriaty backend. Indy game where already electronically distributed (for example through GarageGames) by means of a website. A website\browser may not be the best way to distribute large games, so a nice non-instrusive client is needed (we already have nice P2P systems like BitTorrent that are perfect for this stuff).
An now for another thing, steam games are usually the same price as normal retail games. This is just plain insane, retail games cost way more (production, real life distribution, store percentage). So games sold via an an electronic distribution system should cost less than the games sold in stores.

I hope Tripwire doesn't have an exclusive contract with steam so they will be able to sell their game via other means if they are available.

U

Unregistered

When was the last time you guys used Steam? I know that lots of people had problems getting HL2 running on release/a few days after, and that many people couldn't even play HL2 due not being on the internet, but Steam is now a very stable platform.

I can understand the argumant about Valve fanboys not going for an Unreal Engine game, but slagging Steam off on past performance is no longer valid, imo.

-Kai

BOT(0)

Does not necroph’agous.
I would like to add here that teams actually okay if you like waiting hours for things to load and constant disappointment, something that would be similar to driving your brothers 4th handcar and then it stalls so you look under the hood. What do you find? The motor is really your pet cat that you swear died when you where eight, and further more the break disks are just aunt Betty brand cookies bolted to the axels.

And I don’t get these CS groupies, for gods sake the games a Lemmon.
:D

D

Duiveltje

i think it is a test balon. They wanna see if there game has potential under the gamers. I mean if this turns out into a total succes, they will go for ro on the new the next unreal engine. If it turns out crap, they might just try something different

livingtarget

BulletCatcher
Mar 15, 2002
Aberdeen
Funnily enough I am kind of opposed to the fileplanet exclusives that RO has so infamously used the last few releases. Besides that RO lost me a while ago. I still play occasionally but not even as often as TTR (yeah i slipped that one in).

But I am on the side of the RO devs this time. Steam although it many have the opinion that it is a pile of crap is above all a distribution system. Just a means to sell your game without needing to pay a lot for packaging. A good move.

Besides RO, darwinia will also be available from steam. What steam is moving towards is providing alt. games from independent publishers as a cheap solution.

Which is good, don't go comparing it with Counterstrike or DoD that's just being childish. These guys are living in the grown up world, where they have a ****ty ut2004 community that doesnt like them and desperatly need a bigger playerbase.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
executer99 said:
steam is Ok, but you are counting on steam users. Most steam users using their credit cards are valve fanboys. Just the word that you are using the unreal engine could turn them off from trying. ...

Or by not mentioning the license (or at least somewhere in the fine-print that no one reads) they might think they're buying yet another Valve-game ...

// ---
I guess it saves them buying a webstore-frontend and a chance to gain another non-unreal-based audience. The latter probably being the most important as far as the future of their business is concerned.

One wonders how MS and Live! will compare for independent developers compared to Steam in the future.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yah steam is a good idea for releases, specially smaller ones like this.
A lot of none source games are or have been planned for release over steam and it seems to be paying off.
Ragdoll kungfoo for instance is a real small game that prob would have wandered directly into the bargain bin if distributed via a larger ditributor.
As a lot of people have steam (including people who don't own HL2) it's a good idea as it reaches a lot of people and because of the ease of it, people tend to buy games faster imo. Also steam games tend to be quite cheap compared to store releases. Another cool game comming to us via steam is Darwinia, which I am really looking forward to.

btw. Steam is responsible for world hunger, ebola and it steals your bank details telephathically from your mind once installed on your PC... watch out!

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
Yoshiro said:
It won't, as stated in the press release, the RO IP is fully owned and controlled by Tripwire Interactive.

thank god. Lets hope RO stays RO I mean look at what happenend with DOD Version 1. dumbass helper dog, autoreload, ingame map showing where enemy grenades landed, removal of bleeding and last but not least the mega icons above players heads

btw does anyone know how big the standalone RO will be in mb ??

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
communist said:
The question is do I or anyone other average gamer care about yet another WW2 shooter (regardless of its qualities - because I dont see a big marketing campaign) and that bundled with the joy that is STEAM?

Well I dont.

Anyway good luck - you're gonna need it ;)

I'm getting tired of all the same old war games too. Steam does sound like a good cheap way of getting the game to the public. But, I would rather buy my games in boxes. Its nice to see the art work. ;)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Yeah! Nice big fat boxes with manuals as thick as a brick ... those were the good ol' days. I too long for the days when goodies were added to regular releases instead of extra expensive 'limited' releases.

// ---
I just hope the RO-team realises that once you go 'retail' you can't exactly keep on patching software forever. In fact it's got to be 100% perfect or else bad reviews will kill the game even if the fact that it's Steam-only (at first release anyways) will limit its audience to mere Steam-users.