Riots in Paris

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
French police sent to riot towns

A thousand police officers are being deployed in the suburbs of Paris, after seven consecutive nights of rioting.
The officers will be stationed in Seine-Saint-Denis, north-west of Paris. Half of the department's 40 towns were affected by violence last night.

Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin has been holding emergency crisis talks, following criticism at his failure to end the violence.

Mr de Villepin said restoring order was his "absolute priority".

The riots were triggered by the deaths last week of two teenagers of African origin.

Escalating, and out of control.
Check the map at the bottom of the page.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
I heard about this on the news this morning. I'm curious as to how the French will deal with this...weather they'll commence a beat-down on the rioters, make arrests (or both), simply plea for them to stop, or just give up all together (j/k).

One thing that the news article didn't seem to make clear..are the rioters all Muslims, or are all the immigrant classes involved?

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
If the kids had been tossed into the power lines by the cops, I could see a *possible* reason to riot. But the rioters are ignoring a statement from the survivor, who said 1)they ran because everyone else was running, 2)there were no cops behind them, and 3)the kids knew they were entering a hazardous area. Makes as much sense as me burning down a Home Depot because I hit my thumb with a hammer I bought from them. They need to be put down hard.

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
If the kids had been tossed into the power lines by the cops, I could see a *possible* reason to riot. But the rioters are ignoring a statement from the survivor, who said 1)they ran because everyone else was running, 2)there were no cops behind them, and 3)the kids knew they were entering a hazardous area. Makes as much sense as me burning down a Home Depot because I hit my thumb with a hammer I bought from them. They need to be put down hard.

Its not supposed to make sense. Its pissed off people in ****ty situations that feel alienated from their society/country/government. All it takes is a small catalyst to throw the masses into rioting in such a situation

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Xaero said:
I heard about this on the news this morning. I'm curious as to how the French will deal with this...weather they'll commence a beat-down on the rioters, make arrests (or both), simply plea for them to stop, or just give up all together (j/k).

The CRS (special riot police) are pretty nasty. It'll probably end up in beatings and arrests.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
I knew this Rodney King type stuff would be coming in France. Everyone over there is wayyyy uptight about religious tensions and mentioning your religious affiliation in public is pretty much taboo because nobody wants to start anything :-\ I don't like where this is headed.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
"Sources say they're behind the riots in paris"

"A bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world, when the world left them behind long ago WE are the future. Aquinas spoke of the mythical city on the hill, soon that city will be a reality and we will be crowned it's kings."

"Or better than kings...Gods..."

heh...

Last edited:

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Selerox said:
If I remember correctly, French riot police have immunity from prosecution, so this might get nastier yet...

Is that Tossmonkey and the rest of the Rape Squad I see packing their bags and learning French?

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
You know, I'm not anti-French, and I think they are one of our alltime most awesome allies, but sometimes...the race stuff that goes on over there. The only name I have to mention is Le Pen, and the fact that he got such a large part of the vote is really quite terrifying for any 1st world country.

The U.S. is racist, yeah, just like anywhere else, but France sometimes seems like its out to serve everyone on that front.

On a side note, what other Euro countries have high racial tensions? I only know about France because Le Pen was big news, and from there, I read more. I don't hear much from other countries. Insight?

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Peavey said:
I knew this Rodney King type stuff would be coming in France. Everyone over there is wayyyy uptight about religious tensions and mentioning your religious affiliation in public is pretty much taboo because nobody wants to start anything :-\ I don't like where this is headed.
NONSENSE

If my computer wasnt in such a crippled state Id tell you more about these events

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Peavey said:
That's bull**** as far as I know it's not about religion.

People in the outskirts of paris live in ****ty conditions. Alot don't have education, they have no work and the situation keeps getting worse with no hope at all.
The dead of those 2 guys ignited the slumbering anger that alot of people who live in the slums had for years. The government kind of neglected those area's. Now the **** has hit the fan, and you see politicians on tv calling those people trash and lowlifes, like that one (internal affairs?) minister did. That is oil on the fire, not something those people want to hear.
People demand action (education, work, a better future) and help from the state, and not to be beat down by the police.
The more police and whatnot they put against the angry mob the more angry the mob will get.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Bean316 said:
On a side note, what other Euro countries have high racial tensions? I only know about France because Le Pen was big news, and from there, I read more. I don't hear much from other countries. Insight?

* I think Austria elected someone in the right wing into government.
* Germany has problems between racists and turkish people.
* The Netherlands has a lot of problems between ethnic groups and one film director was murdered for his view on Islam.
* England is an old story with friction with the Pakistani community dating back to when I was still in primary school in the eighties.
* Luxemburg has a pretty closed mentality that makes life difficult for foreigners.
* Belgium has it's share of right wing rubbish from both sides of the linguistic frontier due to political tension between north & south.
* Ex-Yugoslavia ? You know the story. Things seem to have piped down between the Croatia and Serbia though.

In short, money and jobs are sparse, immigrants and ethnic minorities are getting ****ed over, populations aren't happy with government policies and globalisation is turning out to be a good excuse to blackmail ministers into lending taxpayer's money and pay people miserable salaries.

P.S: Religion is just an excuse for murdering people that you don't agree with.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
That reminds of a caricatural action movie called Banlieu 13. It's a fiction where a suburb is surrounded by an immense wall as the police don't dare enter as it's under the rule of several gangs. It may be based on some comic book. Try to get hold of it with subtitles if you can.