Tactical Ops Libre & UT99 Libre Movement

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nameless!

Oct 13, 2013
Tactical Ops Libre & Unreal Tournament Libre Movement

To:Epic Games,Star's Super Games,Star Games,Star's Denomination

Petition:Change the license of Unreal Engine 1.5 or UE 1.5, from Proprietary License to GNU General Public License

English:
In the last years the games Unreal tournament and Tactical Ops have fall in decadence, because no one wants to give support to this games, because they are too old. In this world,it exists people that still playing this games and they don't want to see die, it would be a sad story if this occurs. The only way that Unreal Tournament and Tactical Ops fans can continuing playing this game,it's giving support from people and fans that still playing this games, because Unreal Tournament, and principally Tactical Ops are in trash, in this last, no one knows who's the owner of this game; it was atari, and they don't are; the study "Kamehan studios" ,that who was the developer, it's dead because there is no legal personality of this company. These games doesnt make any monetary utility to Epic Games,Star's Super Games,Star Games and Star's Denomination, so they don't would be affected to giving us this engine. Please, set it free...

Please, spread this mesage

Click in the following link to sing for us:
http://www.change.org/petitions/epi...re_petition&utm_term=permissions_dialog_false

Give us a like and join to our cause:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tactical-Ops-Libre/751768321516239

Español:
En los últimos años, el Unreal Tournament y Tactical Ops han caído en decadencia ,ya que nadie da soporte a estos juegos , pues son demasiado viejos. En este mundo, existe gente que sigue jugando a estos juegos y que no lo quieren ver morir ,sería una triste historia si esto ocurre. La única manera en que los aficionados Unreal tournament y Tactical Ops pueden seguir jugando a este juego, es dándole soporte desde la gente y los fans que siguen jugando a este juego , porque Unreal tournament , y principalmente Tactical Ops están en la basura ,este último , no se sabe quién es el propietario de este juego , fue atari, y no lo es; el estudio " Kamehan estudios " , quién era el desarrollador , está muerto porque no hay personalidad jurídica de la empresa . Estos juegos no hace ninguna utilidad monetaria de Epic Games,Star's Super Games,Star Games and Star's Denomination , por lo que no se verían afectados al darnos este motor. Por favor, déjenlo libre …

Porfavor difunde este mensaje

Click in the following link to sing for us:
http://www.change.org/petitions/epi...re_petition&utm_term=permissions_dialog_false

Danos un megusta y únete a nuestra causa:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tactical-Ops-Libre/751768321516239
PLEASE SPREAD THIS CAUSE

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Yeah I'm thinking it still sells just enough on steam to tickle the greed-bone over at EPIC and stop them from dropping the code. Even if it's like 0.001% of what GoW or BS or whatever the fuck other game they're pimping these days makes. Actually come to think of it they're more of a compsci company now, selling a bitchin' game engine instead of games :)

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
No point putting effort into a new text to post, so:
You can be very certain that Epic will ignore this petition. The GPL is simply too strickt about how open the code must be. Also, even Unreal Engine 3 still uses parts of the UE1 code - you can't expect Epic to release that much of the current engine's interior to the public. And also the term "UE 1.5" - there's no such thing. UT code has been handed over to the Unreal Tournament Preservation Group (UTPG), who have released new versions up to v451, IIRC.

The part about not being financial gain also doesn't fully apply, because the Unreal Anthology - including Unreal 1, Return to NaPali and Unreal Tournament (all three use the latest UE1 version) - is still on sale.
BTW: What's the point of a petition if you don't post it at the Epic Games forums? And why do you pick off-topic subforums instead of game-related ones?

Last edited:

Nameless!

Oct 13, 2013
No point putting effort into a new text to post, so:

BTW: What's the point of a petition if you don't post it at the Epic Games forums? And why do you pick off-topic subforums instead of game-related ones?

1. for reason that i dont know i cant post in epic games.
2i choose this place for 2 reason: 1.it's the biggest forum in this comunity
2.My post it's safe in this place and it will not be deleted

Nameless!

Oct 13, 2013
i choose this place because it's massive and in "off topic" it's safe from to be removed.

Last edited:

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
Man, I remember being jealous of what the Quake crowd was able to work with back in the day. Epic just doesn't seem like that kind of company--you can't really find John Carmack's Vulcan logic in CliffyB or Mark Rein, can you? Tim Sweeney seems pretty well adjusted as well, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Last edited:

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Slowly indeed.
That being said, work continues. The MD5 code for Win has been tested and seems to work great. The latest Linux build is on the way very soon.
was posted in Nov-08-04 :lol:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Eh. I honestly don't understand any of these arguments. UE 1.x updates (mainly graphical) were something I wanted and cared about back in 2005. Now, well... this is how I see it.

Even if they were still actively maintaining it, do you think more people would be playing UT as a result? The last time I installed UT (couple years ago) almost every server on the list was empty. The two or three servers that had any players were all Zark Sniper servers. The exact same thing was going on back in 2007. Who the fuck wants to camp for eight hours?

I tried running a no-bullshit server back in ... 2009? No mods or mutators, just straight DM on 32 of the best maps I'd played over the years in the rotation. I invited a bunch of people from various Unreal forums that were still kicking (including this one.) It was somewhat active for the first week, then people went back to whatever else they were playing and after a month it was completely inactive. It wasn't the lack of mods, lots of people were bitching about not being able to find good pure DM servers back then. It wasn't lag, we played many matches on the server with little to no lag at all. It wasn't the map selection - all of the maps on the list were the cream of the crop; some of the highest-rated UT maps in existence. It was because people were just bored with the game, whether they wanted to admit it or not. I love UT, in fact I will always love UT and I cherish the people I played with and the memories I made. But I can at least admit that I'm bored with the game. It's been almost 14 years, guys. I think it's time to move on.

So... what's the point? If nobody is going to play the game anyways, why does it matter if it's just sitting on a shelf? For that matter, what would GPL'ing UE 1.x accomplish aside from a few Open Arena-style projects nobody will bother to play? Even if UE 1.x went GPL tomorrow, I wouldn't use it to make a game. With UDK, Unity, etc., there are tons of better options out there now. Hell, even Nexuiz-DarkPlaces, the poster-child for open-source'd commercial engine success, hasn't seen an update since 2009. It's now running on CryEngine.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Indeed. It's a 14-15 year old game, I think we can lay it to rest. If you want to play online with friends, just host a server locally. For most of us, home Internet connections have come a long way in a decade and a half.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Indeed. It's a 14-15 year old game, I think we can lay it to rest. If you want to play online with friends, just host a server locally. For most of us, home Internet connections have come a long way in a decade and a half.

Exactly. I'm sad to say "it's over'" but yeah, it's over. We got almost a decade and a half out of UT. Be happy guys, that doesn't happen in gaming very often.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
That's kind of BS. UT is a classic, I think we can all agree on that. And as a classic it will be revisited over and over again. Some one will do a let's play and UT will be seen by the newer generation. There are still people making C64 games!
I would like to play UT, but my current computer doesn't like it. It crashes on both windows and linux.
I haven't played UT online, since the few times I tried it was full of camping-snipers and that killed the joy of it. However I still play (UT1 and) UT2 with my former LAN-party.

Now would this GPL happen? probably not.
Would it boost UT back to it's former glory? probably not.
But it would be awesome thesis work to compare Q & U -engines ;-)

Some people will move on, but it's rather bold claim to say that the game is dead.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Two more arguments:
  • If you want to release a total conversion based on UT, nothing will stop you - as long as it's for free and requires the game.
  • If UT's own capabilities aren't enough for you, use the UDK. It's free, and even though you don't have access to the naitve sources, it is extremely flexible - and you can even sell whatever you created. Feel free to put the result under an open source license that is compatible with the fact that the UDK itself is not exactly open source.
There have been a number of times when an engine went open source, but the assets remained intelectual property and thus were not allowed to be used. You can bet Epic would do the same thing, essentially preventing you from improving existing games like UT in ways that are not yet already possible.