How difficult would it be to make this?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I'm not sure how I came up with this, but here goes.

What if you could use the nalicow/or some spin-off of the warcow, and place a player on top of them. The idea would be to be playing some sort of futuristic jousting game. Impact With some sort of upgraded impact hammer or so.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
That sounds pretty interesting.

Though I have to ask.

Would it be a 2 player vs 2 player match?

IE:
One person control the cow while the other person control the player on the cow?

If you can put a man on a Redeemer and fly around on it I am pretty sure it can be done.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
It should be accomplishable, but may require some custom pawn code to get around hacky solutions... though as Skillz mentions the Strangelove mod worked pretty well soo...maybe using that as a base (for a good example of "attaching" players to other pawns).

I'm thinking the only real trick would be to grab the controlling player's input (the strangelove mod might behave a tad different from what you would want). Grabbing the player pawn's acceleration vector should work though.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I remember doing this a long time ago. The idea was to make a cow work like yoshi, and be able to ride and guide it. One of the several problems that didnt allow pawns to connect was a script that forces a pawn to automatically jump off another pawn.

My guess on something like this would be swapping a PlayerPawn class that can ride the cow without conflicts when both connect. Doing something like this might have conflicts with other mods that replace the playerpawn class though.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Hey, sorry for the late reply. Good to see there's interest in this. Thing is, I wouldn't know where to start because I'm not a uscript(?) wizard or so.
As for the match, it probably could go all ways? 1v1, 2v2 etc. but still, it would be quite limited wouldn't it. You'd at least have to hit the opponent a couple of times, or with all types of different impact effects etc.? Maybe the more you hit him/her the fatter he/she grows and finally explodes?

for example...

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You get noticeable lag and stutter when the playerpawn collision boxes bump and touch each other. Ask any MH player, they see that all the time when a hunting group runs down a corridor together. It was so pronounced I just removed players from colliding in MH and that cleared it up though the passing-through of players is a bit odd until you learn to ignore it.
My guess is that you'd need to code something akin to 'magnetizing' the players. Cows would be positive, jousters negative (hang on, I'll explain). Normal player collision rules would apply until a cow and a jouster from the same team encroached on each other. When that happens the jouster would lose mechanical control of his movement (like he's on the SLV rocket) but still be able to rotate his orientation (look around). The cow would be fully in control of the movement for both players. Finally the jouster would be locked to a designated bone point of the cow (mounted) until he either ejects or gets killed. Personally I'd not allow ejecting and force the pair until someone dies.

Finally I'd make the weapons only damage on a headshot on the jouster. This will prevent cow killing and force the teams to go after the same point on each other. This would also allow some defensive measures too since your lance (or whatever) will already be held high. You could even do mounted swordfighting pretty easily once you got to here.

Yeah, I just watched Heath Ledger's movie. Fuck me, right?

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Gotta have cow killing. The mounted guy still lashed to the dead beast, twisting on the ground, able to fire but unable to retrieve ammo, powerups, etc, until someone kills him as well. If it is the same guy who killed the cow, double kill!

Or if the cow is killed, mounted guy is thrown off and vice versa.

If however you cannot kill the cows and they too are armed (will they be armed? Killable and unarmed is just cannon fodder) then they are gods. If you can't kill them and they are unarmed then who the heck would want to play a battle horse simulator?!

Last edited: