There is no excuse not to have a great gaming GPU

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Unless you plan to buy one for me and everyone else who lacks one of these video cards I suggest you shut the **** up.

At first it boggled my mind how presumptuously stupid you must be to think that everyone has a couple hundred dollars to spare for a new video card, but then I realized that you are probably some spoiled young punk without a family and other financial burdens whose parents buy his computer hardware and pay his bills.

Yes, prices have come down significantly for the formerly top-of-the-line video cards as they always do over time. However, they are not yet in financial reach of everyone who wants one, Marie Antoinette.
Uh-oh. 3 Posts and already emociding.

Also, WTF at the Marie Antoinette reference? Do you even know who the hell she was?

JD2

Jun 19, 2008
Also, WTF at the Marie Antoinette reference? Do you even know who the hell she was?

Apparently you don't. Read the title of my post. Next time you should actually read a post and think about it for a minute instead of hitting the reply button as soon as it appears. If you still don't get it, I will spell it out for you and anyone else who is on the slow side or slept through history class.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Boy, you are sure setting a high bar for yourself on post quality!

Skakruk

Jan 20, 2008
Sorry but there is just not one person who is a gamer that should have a GPU that is not at least equal to the 8800GT (on the ATI side if you are an ATI person). These days the prices for vid cards that can run UT3 at max visual fidelity are so low that it boggles my mind:

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=20586

Now we should start seeing SLI take off in a big way. Most enthusiasts should be able to afford a dual 8800GT setup now. Even getting two 9800GTXs isn't too big a cost in comparison to what we are used to paying. Finally things are getting better for the average gamer. :)

I'm inclined to agree with Anuban here. At the very least, no one has reason to complain about performance components costing too much.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Apparently you don't. Read the title of my post. Next time you should actually read a post and think about it for a minute instead of hitting the reply button as soon as it appears. If you still don't get it, I will spell it out for you and anyone else who is on the slow side or slept through history class.
Nobody actually reads the post titles. As for Marie Antoinette?

Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna von Habsburg-Lothringen, aka Marie Antoinette. Queen of France. Wife of Louis XVI, mother of Louis XVII. Supposedly said "Let them eat cake" when the populace complained about the price of bread, but this was likely a political rumor spread to encourage growing anti-imperialist feelings. Beheaded about 9 months after her husband; apologized for stepping on the executioner's foot, which were supposedly her last words. Replaced by Robespierre and the French Revolution.

I got an A in history. Sit the hell down and shut the hell up.

Last edited:

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise

Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna von Habsburg-Lothringen, aka Marie Antoinette. Queen of France. Wife of Louis XVI, mother of Louis XVII. Supposedly said "Let them eat cake" when the populace complained about the price of bread, but this was likely a political rumor spread to encourage growing anti-imperialist feelings. Beheaded about 9 months after her husband; apologized for stepping on the executioner's foot, which were supposedly her last words. Replaced by Robespierre and the French Revolution.

Oh yeah? I got an A+ and ****ed the teacher too!

ZOMG DP! Your so hot when your angry LETS MAKE BABY PIES!

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I stand by what I say with no problem doing so. I have been gaming for many years and never has such quality products been priced so low. And I really find it funny though people are going around saying similar things don't get attacked so harshly and yet I am talking about one item that is priced so low as to be next to ridiculous and this is the response I get. Its funny but it doesn't make me change my line of thinking. And yes I am talking about the PC gamers who are the enthusiasts type that used to complain about cards costing $400-$700 in order to be able to use the max settings but now for less than $150 (and that is what it is going to be once these retailers start having price wars) you can have a GPU that allows you to max UT3 that is fantastic progress. Anyway that is my take on it ... don't know why people decided to be so angry in their responses. If you don't agree or can't see the point I am making that is fine ... there really is not a need to get personal or be so abrasive at least I don't see the point.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
One thing you should keep in mind is not only does the motherboard support PCI Express, but does the POWER SUPPLY have the balls to power an 8800/9800 GT or GTX? IIRC, those cards require a fairly stout PSU. Sorry, but for many users, $149 is only the beginning of a more expensive venture.

Skakruk

Jan 20, 2008
One thing you should keep in mind is not only does the motherboard support PCI Express, but does the POWER SUPPLY have the balls to power an 8800/9800 GT or GTX? IIRC, those cards require a fairly stout PSU. Sorry, but for many users, $149 is only the beginning of a more expensive venture.

The 8800GT is fairly light, in that respect.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah its true not only are they making strides with the processing power they are also making components better on power usage. Of coarse it might not be a huge difference since you have to take into account processing power vs power usage, like more performance generally uses more power. Now days they are paying alot more attention to that than they did in the past so the power usage for the performance is generally better :cool:

Infact this is one of the reasons I always look at intel chipsets before nvidia ones, nvidia boards just seem to be hogs which is strange since it doesnt matter if you run sli on them or not there is a good 100watt difference before you even get that far. If you add acouple of the more power hungry nvidia graphics cards and you got yourself around 250watts of excessive use. To that end I do see power usage as a prime concern for anyone buying components, Im not sure how much 250 extra watts would add on your power bill but it could be a bit of a lump over acouple of years. Then again nvidia do have this ESA stuff going now so it could be better for you if you are one of these people who likes to leave their PC on. Things are certainly looking to level out in that area now, if you look at high end gear like the skull trail which uses like 2x6 or 8 pins for the cpu's alone and add that to acouple of 2x6 or 8 pin graphics cards... Well its no wonder they make cases which can hold 2 PSU's :lol:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Alright... listen up everyone.

There's no need to make personal attacks or get all bent out of shape about internet forum posts. I'm closing this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.