UT3 [beta]DM-Brave

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UTNOVA

French cat under acid
Dec 8, 2008
France
sebastiennova.wordpress.com
Name: DM-Brave
Version: Beta 8b
Compatibility: PC patch 2.0, no titan pack requiered
Game type: Deatmatch
Number of players: 4-8

Description:
too lazy... See pics below

Screenshots:
[screenshot]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3875/bravebeta82.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5999/bravebeta8.jpg[/screenshot]

Credits:
later

Notes:
The ocean sheet will be rework, rocks around the map will be replace by terrain, some textures will be redo too.

Download beta 8b:
DOWNLOAD gamefront

Any suggestions concerning the gameplay and/or design are welcome ;)

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
No replies yet, tsktsk :(

I just had a look at it. The grate changing color is a nice touch. However, I kind of associated it with the shield belt more than the UDamage because it turned a brighter yellow. Not sure if that would work really well with the rest of the environment but what if you'd have the texture blend from yellow to UDamage purple and back?

Apart from that I just think the bricks should be smaller. Some pollen particles in the air would be cool and the environment outside the playable area is a bit bland (though I guess you're probably just not there yet?).
The entire place has a nice UT-ish feeling to it, though. Like those old 1on1 levels. Looking good :)

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
It plays really nicely, and I like the ambience, nice change from the drab look of the stock maps. I agree with Nelson about the grate color though, it's certainly a nice touch however!

Texture scaling seems off on the floors and walls. When in 3rd person it becomes evident that those are some pretty huge wooden planks and cobblestones, UT2K4 style ;P
Somewhat related, I think the map might read slightly better if the floors are brighter colored than the walls -- the idea being that even without lighting a map should still read well enough.

UTNOVA

French cat under acid
Dec 8, 2008
France
I just had a look at it. The grate changing color is a nice touch. However, I kind of associated it with the shield belt more than the UDamage because it turned a brighter yellow. Not sure if that would work really well with the rest of the environment but what if you'd have the texture blend from yellow to UDamage purple and back?

I see, my first test was with purple naturally but yellow works really better with the rest of the map, so...However I can try you're idea ;)

Apart from that I just think the bricks should be smaller. Some pollen particles in the air would be cool and the environment outside the playable area is a bit bland (though I guess you're probably just not there yet?).

I try to make something with the outdoor, maybe a part playable, but need some work and I'm not sure to have it actually, so we will see...

The entire place has a nice UT-ish feeling to it, though. Like those old 1on1 levels. Looking good :)

THX Nelson for comments and to have take the time !

UTNOVA

French cat under acid
Dec 8, 2008
France
Texture scaling seems off on the floors and walls. When in 3rd person it becomes evident that those are some pretty huge wooden planks and cobblestones, UT2K4 style ;P

There is something of that, personally I don't have this feeling concerning the wall brick, but I can agree for the wood floor and the cobbles stones, i will change that ;)

Somewhat related, I think the map might read slightly better if the floors are brighter colored than the walls -- the idea being that even without lighting a map should still read well enough.

I understand, again I don't have this feeling but I will see ;)

THX for your interest Spiney !

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Maybe a compromise of occasional purple energy that crackles over them from time to time and leaves them glowing yellow/orange. You could retain the fitting glow then but still make it clear (in a really cool way, imo) that this is caused by that purple powerup we've all come to love and fear. :)

UTNOVA

French cat under acid
Dec 8, 2008
France
Maybe a compromise of occasional purple energy that crackles over them from time to time and leaves them glowing yellow/orange. You could retain the fitting glow then but still make it clear (in a really cool way, imo) that this is caused by that purple powerup we've all come to love and fear. :)
I don't know if I will have the time to try all the suggestions I have received for that border ! but THX for your suggestion xMurphyx ;)

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm giving this one a shot today.

I'll leave you a PM on my thoughts while playing the map, though I'm sure I'll enjoy it and not have much to say.

UTNOVA

French cat under acid
Dec 8, 2008
France
THX Vaskadar to have take the time, I have read your PM and this is my answers :

So, concerning the height of the fog who don't match water height, it will be fix for final of course.

About the among of weapons, I like have and provide to other players the choice in a map. However, I try to offset this by putting less health.

About Powerups, I cannot imaging a DM map without the UDamage (except on a 1on1 map). But as for the Invis, yep it's probably too much but it was to give a reward to those who try to venture under water (thing who I'm sure will not occur often !)

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
THX Vaskadar to have take the time, I have read your PM and this is my answers :

So, concerning the height of the fog who don't match water height, it will be fix for final of course.

About the among of weapons, I like have and provide to other players the choice in a map. However, I try to offset this by putting less health.

About Powerups, I cannot imaging a DM map without the UDamage (except on a 1on1 map). But as for the Invis, yep it's probably too much but it was to give a reward to those who try to venture under water (thing who I'm sure will not occur often !)

You could always put a large set of health vials under there if you like. That'd be a good incentive, methinks. I just feel that the invis might be a bit much for that condensed area.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, so I finally decided to go back and try the newer maps (full and beta releases) before continuing with UT2004 maps, but it's kinda hard when the links don't work. Any working links for this beta8b?