8800gt and ut2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I've never had an issue with Ut2K4 on my system (Vista32, 8800GT 512s in SLI) ... for some drivers I know I had to actually specify to run in Single GPU config and not SLI but even then it is no big issue since Ut2K4 does not take advantage of SLI anyway. In UT2K4 I use 4XAA and 16XAF and it looks amazing ... it really makes me wish that forced AA worked properly with UT3 or better yet they I wish that Epic would add the DX10 code for true MSAA application support.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT2004 doesn't even take advantage of multi-core CPUs, AFAIK. I came across a map today that dipped down to around 60 FPS, and that was at 1280x960. I run UT3 at 1680x1050 with all the details and it runs 100+ FPS. Stupid old games. :p

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
I've never had an issue with Ut2K4 on my system (Vista32, 8800GT 512s in SLI) ...
That's why, You're using vista. The problem doesn't exist in vista. That's been known for ages. Why'd you even bother posting what we already knew?

UT2004 doesn't even take advantage of multi-core CPUs, AFAIK. I came across a map today that dipped down to around 60 FPS, and that was at 1280x960. I run UT3 at 1680x1050 with all the details and it runs 100+ FPS. Stupid old games. :p
UT2004 is single threaded and very cpu bound. So it's no real surprise it'll dip like that even with a card like an 8800gt.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I really don't want to have to buy Vista and reinstall all my stuff just to get my graphics card to work the way it's supposed to :(

At this point what is the alternative other than sitting around b!tching about the issue on some forum thread. You guys need to grow up and act like real adults ... do something to help yourselves and solve the issue instead of sitting around like a bunch of children crying about the problem. I could see if there was NO solution for the problem but there is one and its not that expensive at that. So sorry if you don't want to go to Vista but if you want to play the game without the errors you obviously have to. Be adults and do what you have to do to play the game you want to. Of course you won't though ... I bet you are all still complaining about the same thing two weeks from now (heck not even that long for some of you).

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
[Snarf];2101630 said:
Don't be silly:B Vista in itself is a bloody great problem. I would rather have stutter in UE2 games, than reduced performance and other issues in just about every other game I own. (No, don't tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, because I heve had plenty of experience with Vista - in fact I was using it just weeks ago).

There is a solution, anyway: BUY AN ATI CARD (which is exactly what I am going to do, although I'm having difficulty selling my GTX)

Besides, your not grasping the real issue here: NVIDIA provides terrible support and uses false advertising. Why should everyone just shut up and let them get away with it?

Who the hell are you talking to ... no one over here is being silly. If anyone is being foolish its you ... Vista is fine and I am so tired of all you folks who say otherwise ... I know it works fine in this case. While you struggle with XP and whine away I am playing EVERY SINGLE GAME I HAVE ALWAYS PLAYED ON XP with NO issues whatsoever. So yeah I am going to tell you "You don't know what the heck you are talking about" since I play UT2K4 and UT3 and Crysis and Gears and Stalker, and HL2 episode 2, and Lost Planet, and Timeshift, etc. on a regular basis and I don't have any issues that a driver hasn't been able to solve.

So yeah the solution is obvious whether you like it or not. Instead of complaining you should be glad there is an option for folks who love UT2K4 and who have an 8800 series card. Be thankful for that ... man you folks don't when to be appreciative for solutions that work that are not that expensive. It is time consuming ... umm a little ... you will have to reinstall software but hell if you are a real gamer it is worth it and re-installing software can't be that big of a deal. I mean we are PC gamers ... we have all had to do this at one time or another.

So yeah I will leave this thread alone and let you folks who are unwilling to go Vista for whatever crazy reason you may have deal with this the way you want to. You are right it doesn't affect me and there is no need to get into arguments with folks at all. Handle it how you see fit ... but don't be surprised if the results are slow in coming.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
I am playing EVERY SINGLE GAME I HAVE ALWAYS PLAYED ON XP with LOWER FPS than i had when running windows xp.
I noticed something that needed fixing. So i went and fixed it for you.

Anyway.. gamers have next to no reason at all to want to upgrade to vista right now. It's more than been proven that it's SLOWER than windows xp in almost every way. AND it's only saving grace, directx 10, isn't even a requirement to play any game. Seeing as just about everything has a dx9 renderer. Thus further reducing it's draw even more.

Just cause you're apparently a blind and dumb vista fanboy doesn't mean you have to try to convert everyone else to how you are. Many, MANY, people are still satisfied with XP. and there's no reason whatsoever as to why one should be forced to upgrade to inferiority in performance in every other area for proper performance in a single area.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
^^^ Well another idiot that can't respect other people's experience (I don't need you misquoting me funny man) ... talk about "dumb" ... :lol: .. you young children make me laugh. At least your name forum name fits you very well. Since I don't need to raise my blood pressure I guess this makes yet another foolish person that I will have to add to my ignore list. I don't have time for such infantile behavior.

Anyway I'll let you folks sit around and b!tch about a problem there is a solution for ... just a solution you Anti Vista folks don't like. And as far as games performing much better under XP ... that is simply no longer the case and all the leading tech sites are acknowledging that, you need to do some research. The drivers that are being released these days coupled with the Vista SP1 have pretty much made the difference in some game negligible ... 4-5 fps is not a big deal and if you have good components and a pretty heavy duty rig you won't even notice any substantial difference at all (in fact UT2K4 definitely runs the same on XP as it does on Vista on my system ... maybe its because I have a pretty beefy rig). Some games like Crysis when run in DX9 mode is every bit as fast as it is on XP (in DX10 mode it is not all that far behind ... maybe 5 fps max) and Lost Planet actually gets better performance in DX10 mode. But you guys just keep on telling yourselves otherwise and stay with XP ... it really doesn't matter to me what you do. I'm not the one who can't play UT2K4 without having problems.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
[Snarf];2099144 said:
You are kidding, right?
No,I was not kidding,remember to the time when UT2004 was released,the Nvidia VGAs had a high fps and better performance than ATI's VGAs.However,I know many people have a different opinion about it.;)
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. Can you imagine how pissed I was when I slid my $500 brand-new 8800 into my box, and found out that I got higher frames, but overall worse performance than my old 7800? I thought the damn thing was broken at first. I hope you've got Vista.
Vista,hell no,that OS = ****!

Well,I'm going to say more about this when I get my new system.What is your signal output between your monitor and VGA ? Digital or Analog ?:)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
At this point what is the alternative other than sitting around b!tching about the issue on some forum thread. You guys need to grow up and act like real adults ... do something to help yourselves and solve the issue instead of sitting around like a bunch of children crying about the problem.

Excuse me, we've been trying to. We have been emailing the company about it, we have been emailing news sites and magazines. Nvidia said it's their driver issue, what more can we do but tell people about it so they don't also get ripped off? Don't try to insult us for that.

I could see if there was NO solution for the problem but there is one and its not that expensive at that. So sorry if you don't want to go to Vista but if you want to play the game without the errors you obviously have to.

That is not acceptable. My system met all the specified requirements when I bought the card. I expect it to work without buying fifty bucks worth of software. And the fact that the "fix" is to change your entire OS? Come on! You can bet I would have thought twice before buying this card if I knew.

I know that YOU don't have a problem with vista. But you should to get off your ego trip and stop calling people names just because their opinion isn't the same as yours. My opinion is that I bought their product and met the requirements stated, so it's outrageous that I should have to change my OS. If it required Vista to work properly, it should have said so.

I bet you are all still complaining about the same thing two weeks from now (heck not even that long for some of you).

Sadly, you're probably right, because I doubt it's going to be fixed. But what's two weeks when we've had to talk about this problem for over a year already? I have been waiting over a year to play one of my favorite games with a card I spent half a grand on. I don't want a wasted investment, and switching to vista is not an acceptable "fix." You're damn right I'm going to be angrily talking about it until I get what should have been there from the very beginning. We just got strung along month after month.

[VaLkyR]Anubis;2102181 said:
Vista,hell no,that OS = ****!

Well,I'm going to say more about this when I get my new system.What is your signal output between your monitor and VGA ? Digital or Analog ?:)

Well, some of the 8800 XP systems work ok, maybe you'll get lucky.

The card output is digital, I have a converter on it.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
^^^ Well another idiot that can't respect other people's experience (I don't need you misquoting me funny man) ... talk about "dumb" ... :lol: .. you young children make me laugh. At least your name forum name fits you very well. Since I don't need to raise my blood pressure I guess this makes yet another foolish person that I will have to add to my ignore list. I don't have time for such infantile behavior.

Anyway I'll let you folks sit around and b!tch about a problem there is a solution for ... just a solution you Anti Vista folks don't like. And as far as games performing much better under XP ... that is simply no longer the case and all the leading tech sites are acknowledging that, you need to do some research. The drivers that are being released these days coupled with the Vista SP1 have pretty much made the difference in some game negligible ... 4-5 fps is not a big deal and if you have good components and a pretty heavy duty rig you won't even notice any substantial difference at all (in fact UT2K4 definitely runs the same on XP as it does on Vista on my system ... maybe its because I have a pretty beefy rig). Some games like Crysis when run in DX9 mode is every bit as fast as it is on XP (in DX10 mode it is not all that far behind ... maybe 5 fps max) and Lost Planet actually gets better performance in DX10 mode. But you guys just keep on telling yourselves otherwise and stay with XP ... it really doesn't matter to me what you do. I'm not the one who can't play UT2K4 without having problems.
Lawl. You're funny. so instead of giving any real argument back you're going to say "you're and idiot and noob. i'm right and that's all there is to it."? You're pathetic. Grow up and come back at me with better. Or just don't talk at all. As you make yourself look even worse.

Anyway.. I've seen vista, used vista, and read about vista. It IS slower than xp in almost every way. If you're too stuck up to see any view aside from your own ignorant fanboy view then you really need to pull your head out of your own ass. And by the way, before you talk about that "beefy system wont notice a thing" stuff.. Try to remember that everyone's not an arrogant and spoiled child like your attitude and sig says you are. And as such not everyone has all the highend stuff out there.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Well, some of the 8800 XP systems work ok, maybe you'll get lucky.

The card output is digital, I have a converter on it.
Yes,especially I know some people with a 8800 VGA and XP as their OS and they play UT3 on highest details and their system works perfect.It is up to the user and his software and hardware.:)

Hmm,you have a converter on it,well I connected my 6600GT (AGP8x) in a directly way to my LCD monitor,I don't have a converter on it.:)

[Snarf];2102662 said:
Oh, at the time of release... Well that makes perfect sense. Yes, back then I don't think ATI had been on top since the 9800pro/XT as far as mainstream performance/value was concerned.
Yes,that is true.Today,most of the useres buying a Nvidia VGA,because they have more trust in these VGAs than in ATI's VGAs,like me.In the past when I got my currently system I had a 9800Bro by Sapphire and I had several problems with it,at least I bought my currently 6600GT and everything works like hell.I stay loyal to Nvidia now.:)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
[VaLkyR]Anubis;2103943 said:
Yes,especially I know some people with a 8800 VGA and XP as their OS and they play UT3 on highest details and their system works perfect.It is up to the user and his software and hardware.:)

Well yeah, but the issue here is ut2k4. I can run ut3 maxed out perfectly with my 8800 in XP, it's ut2k4 that gives me problems. It's a shame, because I've found UT3 and the mod scene for it so far to be pretty lackluster, so I'd rather be playing ut2k4 most of the time.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Well yeah, but the issue here is ut2k4. I can run ut3 maxed out perfectly with my 8800 in XP, it's ut2k4 that gives me problems. It's a shame, because I've found UT3 and the mod scene for it so far to be pretty lackluster, so I'd rather be playing ut2k4 most of the time.
Yeah,it is just a matter of software,hardware and technology,you know UT2004 is a little bit older and it might be possible that the 'old' games cannot handling the games perfectly with the newest hardware anymore,I say it might be possible.;)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
[VaLkyR]Anubis;2104357 said:
Yeah,it is just a matter of software,hardware and technology,you know UT2004 is a little bit older and it might be possible that the 'old' games cannot handling the games perfectly with the newest hardware anymore,I say it might be possible.;)

Man, it's not that old (released in 2k4, 8800 came out at the end of 2k6), and this new hardware is too expensive to just say "oh, I guess it doesn't work." I wouldn't have bought one of these things if I knew it would never work with my game. Nvidia has said it is a problem with their drivers. If they can't get it to work right, they need to put a disclaimer that says, "may not run properly in Windows XP" underneath that "designed for Windows Vista" sticker.

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
If they can't get it to work right, they need to put a disclaimer that says, "may not run properly in Windows XP" underneath that "designed for Windows Vista" sticker.

lol

even if they did do that, would it have stopped you from buying the video card?

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
lol

I definitely would have thought twice before re-trying nvidia after almost 5 years had i known this beforehand. So it just may have, yes.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Man, it's not that old (released in 2k4, 8800 came out at the end of 2k6), and this new hardware is too expensive to just say "oh, I guess it doesn't work." I wouldn't have bought one of these things if I knew it would never work with my game. Nvidia has said it is a problem with their drivers. If they can't get it to work right, they need to put a disclaimer that says, "may not run properly in Windows XP" underneath that "designed for Windows Vista" sticker.
Yeah,it isn't that old game,only 4 years old,but does that really matter,I don't think so.Anyway,I know there are some driver problems with the 8800 cards and I hope Nvidia can handle it soon,but I never buy Vista and install on my system,I keep at XP,that is much better,Vista = office and no gaming,XP = gaming and office stuff.:)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
lol

Yeah, like I said, it wouldn't have bought it. At the very least, I would have waited for the price to come down. I'm not even using the damn thing right now.

I bought it when it was newly-released because I wanted to do anything in ut2k4 with perfect frames. I stack a lot of demanding mods, and play on ridiculously detailed maps (think angelh@rt). My 7800 could handle most of it, but it would chug sometimes, and I would have to bring a couple details down in a mod I was using, so I paid the new release price for it. At the very least I could have waited until I got more 'next-gen' games that actually needed the 8800's power.

So yeah, a disclaimer like that would cost them customers, but they tricked me into giving up my money, now I just feel ripped off. My 8800 is actually sitting on a shelf right now, a friend loaned me a 7950GTX he's doesn't need, and I'm using that in my box to play ut2k4.