UT99: a few problems with my copy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Deathlord2345

Go frag yourself
May 24, 2008
I recently got the unreal anthology and tried playing UT99, but I found a few problems.

1. The sounds are completley messed up. They sound way too fuzzy.
2. My ping is way too high on servers. Sometimes I have about 600 ping! My computer is very new and I have a good internet connection, this shouldn't happen. I played UT2004 and my ping was always less than 100.
3. Messed up intro. I watched the intro on youtube and it was ok, but my intro has the sound problems from 1. and the speech stops too early. I think the narrator is talking too fast, or the intro doesn't play fast enough, because the speech stops when it's still in the city, but it's supposed to stop inside the big building.

Is there a patch or update that fixes this? (remember, I have the Unreal anthology)

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Nothing except hardware, service, and location is going to help your ping. By slow do you mean pace, speed, or fps? Bots aren't very responsive at low levels. Check the gamespeed when you select a map or type "slomo 1" in the console. Slow fps is only going to be fixed by better hardware.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
He means that 100% maybe is not enough? Open settings and see if the spped slider isn't lower than 100 and if it's on 100 get it to something higher. It will make the game faster, but for me 100 is already much... Hey, you need to pay attention to the details just like to the combat ;)
For the ping, well UT's netcode isn't very good (but U1's netcode is even more horrible). Nothing to do here, it will be simply slow - join high ping servers.

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
ping..

well there is only one thing what i can say about that..
many ppl these days work wireless, which means that they connect to the internet without cables.. (which is actually ment for laptops)
most of the time, ppl are too far away from theire router/modem which causes a bad connection.

if you connect trough a cable u know for sure some signals are not getting lost which happens when you work wireless.

get youreself a network cable, and there you go :D
iam not sure if you work wireless, but allot of ppl these days do.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
He has already stated that in UT2004 his ping is always low, so that's not the problem. And the only issue I can see is the poor netcode.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Netcode is responsible for handling the replication of client actions, it has little to nothing to do with ping other than being influenced by it. It'd be easier to believe UT has poor netcode if the effects of high ping and packet loss (lag, skipping) were being experienced on low ping servers (sub 80s).
Latency is effected by the route, nothing else.