Building Skills...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
Yep..

Yeah, that's a pretty good site once you translate it. :)

I'm nearly finished with the initial format of the site and then I'll post it on a test site for review by the gamespy folks. I am already compiling a HUGE list of great resources for mappers, modellers, coders, etc. This would be a great time for folks to throw some nice little tutorials together and either post them here or forward them to me via email. Thanks.

jbjbjb@home.com

aspie

It's all good baby.
Feb 24, 2001
Australia
I would like to help out. I've thought before about doing something like this before but never got round to doing anything about. I'd like to join the "team".

P.S. Neblous Person must write a weekly column :)

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
nope..

Too late Thug? No way...the more the merrier. Really I'm wanting this to be a community project and I figure different folks will want to get involved at different levels. Some may want to just submit a little tid bit now and then, while others may want to devote more time and actively help out with the site and the task group (which is the group who will "pimp" out their skills to editors/mods in need.) Any degree of help is welcome and the best way to jump on board is to email me and let me know how you'd like to contribute. Thanks again. -JB

jbjbjb@home.com

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I'll be up for that too. I can only make maps but they might make good bases for a start. I always end up with too much detail in them so the poly's are @350-400, you might want to change bits. I can run them fine but others struggle. I'm learning quick though. don't know how you'll keep the ego's out though. someone always wants to jump to the top and steel the credit?:rolleyes:

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
i see a badnwagon!!! /me jumps on

hey all,

I am trying to work through a bunch of things at the moment. if my help is appreciated, i will document my methods of construction, and all the tutorials i use to do things, so everyone has a full start to finish guide of what i did to produce something rather lame, but its the effort that counts isnt it?

I feel the answer is no, but ill do it anyway :)

Basically what im trying to do is a mod on my own, which will be very time consuming, of course, and also not very good, but it will give me a chance to pick up a bunch of skills that i would otherwise not have. So far im struggling along with everything, and the first/most important map is progressing slowly (but its progressing at least).

DrWinky

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
logo...

So I am nearly done with the layout of the initial site candidate, but we still need a nice header logo/graphic and some more tutorials and/or sample code. If you can help out in any of these areas please let me know so we can get the intitial site up. Once up, everyone will be able to throw in their 2 cents worth. Thanks. -JB

jbjbjb@home.com

XanF1

Jul 31, 2001
Visit site
I justed started and will make some tutorials if I understand some more of UnEd 2. In my search for tutorials it has only show me that most of the better mappers are forgetting things or just put them in the wrong order for the newbies. Hope I can do it better ;)

I'll keep an eye on this topic cause I'm interested in what is coming out of this id.:)

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
Very Nice...

Excellent tutorial Nexus! I will post it soon so everyone can check it out. On that note, I got some php4/mysql hosting squared away so the initial site candidate should be up in a few days. I'll post a link once it's up and hope to get a lot of feedback and suggestions from y'all before we submit it to PlanetUnreal for hosting consideration. Again, thanks to everyone who is helping out! -JB

smally

Jan 30, 2000
Weaverville, NC USA
Visit site
Sounds excellent! I too have thought about this before. Maybe a little siimpler though. I know nothing about scripting, coding, or modelling. I only work on mapping. But I always thought it would be great to have a group of ppl w/ to share ICQ #'s w/ so if you have a question you could ask someone online w/ ICQ and not have to wait for a reply in the forums to solve your problem & continue working on your map. Or perhaps even setting up a IRC channel would be great. I know that there already is #unrealed but my opinion of that channel is not great. It seems like the ppl in there rarely talk about mapping and if somebody does come up with a mapping section then they put that person down for being "stupid". The chat always seems to go something like... 'soandso suxxors' , 'I am so 'l33t' , 'you are so gay' , 'my 13 yr old girlfriend is so hot' . Anyway enough ranting about the kids in there. Basically my point is that it would be nice to have a group of ppl together and maybe start a new IRC channel where ppl are nice. polite, and actually dedicated to helping others w/ mapping.

Also I think it would be great to have a website just to have some sort of centralized home of organization for this (hopefully soon to be) guild of mappers. Somewhere like has been already mentioned that level designers (and coders, scripters. modellers, or whatever else) could post their work for others to view, playtest, offer feedback, or review. And wouldn't it be great (if the resources were available) to have a UT server set up that could run a rotation of the best user created work from these ppl? Well, I think it would be cool anyway. I've often thought that it was important to playtest a good map not only with bots but in a multi-player game with humans. Mainly because Humans are going to find ways to exploit any balance issues with a map that bots just don't do.

Well I suppose this post is quite long enough. Anyway I would love to be involved with what you are proposing. So I will leave you all w/ my email & ICQ#. Please keep me informed :)

gustapo66@hotmail.com
ICQ# 118630090

XanF1

Jul 31, 2001
Visit site
Like I said the id is great but if you let your community become to large then the connection between members wil disappear again... How do yout hink to solve this? I know a small site wher they have a tutor attatched to (1 or 2) newbies and think this is one of the best solutions there are... A to arge community will just become like this... And then your id wuld be 'lost'

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
its a great idea, buts its not new. Earlire attempts have crashed and burned.

A few suggestions, have a couple people work the site, so if one leaves/dispears, the others can jsut replace him/her, you dont want to have to rely on anyone.

#Unrealed is practly dead, and Chermic is 6 feet under, chessmess unrealscript group is still around, but its not realy popular.

Try to keep things real, high hopes are great, but if you peg everything on them, your hanging on nothing.

Best of luck guys.

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
another idea

hey guys,

Im fed up of people posting posts saying theyre looking for coders and such, so would it be possible to put up a board of people who are looking for something to do on the site?

Something like "name, job, availability, examples of work"

I think this would be very useful for a lot of people, and could even help out a bunch. :)

DrWinky

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
thanks...

Thanks for the feedback guys and believe me, I in no way think this will be easily successful. Having been previously involved in both site and mod projects that have since weathered away to nothing, I am no stranger to the challenges of keeping a project alive and kicking. Stryke and I just discussed this last night and one of the things we are going to do to make the project unique is to break it up into two levels of community involvement. There will be a small team of very dedicated people who maintain the site and work on some small projects and then there will be the larger group of folks who can contribute without making any kind of commitment.
There will be a place for individuals/teams to request help and there will be a place for individuals to post their availability to help out in their area of expertise.
One of the larger projects, that will be open to absolutely everyone, is the first ever "open source" mod project. Everyone will be able to submit ideas and content and we will post submissions so that others can see your work. The purpose of this is to help people learn the full process of mod creation, without them having to make a huge commitment. To keep egos out, the project and all items submitted to it, will be "open source," which means that it belongs to everyone in our editing community. I'll go into more detail on this once the site is up and yes, I do understand the challenges of setting up such a project. I like the idea of it, so hell, it's worth a shot.
There's a lot of other ideas that we are currently mulling over and please don't hesitate to make further suggestions or offers of help. It's pretty fun right now, as the five or so guys working on the site all live at oposite ends of the globe, which I think is very cool. I've received some great mapping tutorials from folks, but we could really use some modeling, coding, or other tutorials if anyone has the time or inclination to lend a hand. Thanks again guys, I think this project has a good chance of being successful because it's being created by people from this forum. People come here because they are interested in the challenges of creating new things. I'm counting on that drive and spirit to push this thing through. Man, I've blah, blah, blahed way too much so I'll shut up now.....later guys.

jbjbjb@home.com

Last edited:

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Just a thought

I'm not trying to stop this project but as an idea why not ask PU if they will split the editing forum to mapping/modeling and coding/mods. Just an idea. Regarding hosting of another group of people: its good to have dedicated people communicating as one but it does take people away from this forum which I feel is the best. Even my initial idea would split the forum so i'm not so sure now. aahhhh I can see both sides. best stick to icq really. sorry if i've wasted your time reading this drizzle.

ICQ 119775089 and if you send me a message, please tell me it's unrealed related else you'll get refused.;)