Serious Sam 3: BFE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Poor Sam may just get lost in the 2011 4th quarter blitz of killer games. Has anyone else picked it up?

I've read a few reviews that made me concerned some people might miss out on this great game. They've mostly been very positive about the game and then very critical about its throwback gameplay, leaving behind a very average score. The truth is though, that SS3:BFE is exactly what Croteam promised - more Sam.

Tired of "action packed" AAA titles that have more cutscenes and QTE's than action? Yearn to pick up a game where all you need to know is that you should kill everything in sight and not die? This might just be for you.

I'm about five or six levels in, so I can only comment on what I've played so far, but everything I've read confirms that the rest of the game should hold true.

The game starts off a little slow with the first two levels uncharacteristically being your standard corridor-style type. From there, things open up and the waves of enemies start to flow. Three of the five levels I've played have ended in some kind of elevated encounter - boss or otherwise; one being a rather unconventional cat-and-mouse maze culminating in your discovery of the "right tool for the job".

All the great gun play you remember from Sam is back. There's nothing like the way it gets you to strafe about, switching quickly to the right weapon for the appropriate enemy amidst utter chaos. Environments are somewhat destructible and smoke from your guns or exploding enemies add to the thrill. Hopefully you like gore and blood because it's abundant, but if you must you can switch it to a different color or sparkling stars and candy.

So far the game is a blast. It's unapologetically old school and it's taken a hit in critic reviews for that, though I'd charge that they're not entirely correct and they're certainly missing the point. User reviews are quite high, and though that isn't always a good indicator, in this case they've got it right.

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
Serious Sam 3 is the best FPS I've played in a long time. I totally love it and am kinda addicted to it already. It's design is superb, every aspect of the game is impressive. From the guns (Devastator!), exceptional 3D models, lighting, perfect music, thoughtful level design, new enemies (space monkeys ), gore and bloody melee, everything.

Seriously. It's a blast from the past, reminding everyone that games used to be fun... a long time ago. Apart from that Croteam is one of the few respectful PC companies with great gamer-developer communication that every PC fan should support wholeheartly.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've got it and it's as awesome as you say. The purest definition of Serious Sam, what all Serious Sam fans have been asking for.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Holy crap, this came out? So silent...

But I think we all know the reason why this game was massively overshadowed. Freaking Skyrim.

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
But I think we all know the reason why this game was massively overshadowed. Freaking Skyrim.

Not only. Mostly because of BF3, MW3, Skyrim (partially since it is a RPG) and the unfortunate timing with Steam's "Autumn Sales" massive discounts (next day after SS3 release). Worst release moment ever.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
SS3 is easily one of my favorite games of 2011. The game is pretty much one big "holy shit" moment as soon as you get past the first two levels. It feels more epic (especially the last few levels) than games that railroad you with scripted events in order to be cinematic

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So anyone figure out what BFE stands for?

I am still betting on Butt Fuck Egypt

Will pick this game up eventually, just don't know when as I am broke.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
It's unapologetically old school and it's taken a hit in critic reviews for that
This is why I've stopped listening to most critics, most of them couldn't tell their heads from their asses even if you gave them a picture book pointing out the differences
Lately it seems like takes something really special(SuperMeatBoy/Minecraft) for critics to not compare it to something else. Shit, if a game fits into a certain genre it's rather difficult to find a review that doesn't compare it to another in the same genre(S8 series compared to Halo, the BF/CoD comparisons, etc)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Because it's a rather indie game that doesn't meet today's industry standards, quite simply put.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I'm not far after the scene where you get the minigun and all in all I like it so far. Things I noticed that I don't like so much:

* There seems to be fewer enemies than in the other SS games. That might be just my memory playing tricks on me though. It might also be simply a necessity because of...

* The clouds of dust from bullets hitting things blocking your view. That seems to be quite a bit overdone, as if your bullets are tiny smoke bombs. Takes a bit of speed out of the game and the enemies don't seem to have any problems firing at me through them.

* Melee is fun and it's done in a way that is both useful and can't be abused. Problem is, I can't melee every enemy under a certain size, e.g. space monkeys.

* I use the pistol way to much and need more ammo lying around for the other weapons to break out of that behavior.

But as I said, it's fun.
We should all get on a big coop game some time in the future.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, it's a shame games like this get buried under the super-heavyweight titles that get released seemingly, all at once.
If it wasn't for Hal putting a post up about it, I wouldn't have known anything about it.
I'll be getting this today for sure.