Official Minecraft Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I upgraded to Debian Wheezy it's working now. Unfortunately this broke Warband, but I can deal with that later.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
So, I've been thinking about loading some kind of gameplay mod on the server once the final version of the game is released. More specifically this mod or something in this vein that adds more functional machines to the game.

I want to get your guy's ( Hazel and Flash ) opinion on this. Watch the whole video before giving an opinion. I think a mod like this could really extend the gameplay in minecraft and allow for us to make a lot of cool stuff that's not possible with the current stuff ( IE buggy as hell, server crashing and rather useless pistons )

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I don't think you'll need to ponder any longer since you can't do that. :lol:

;)

Seriously, what exactly was your plan for doing this? :p

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
There willl be plenty of mods that do the same things by the time the game is released. Especially with the SDK being worked on.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Finished upgrading the server. From Debian Squeeze 32bit command line with OpenJDK6 to Arch Linux 64bit command line with Sun JRE 6. Performance should be much better on the server now and it should be able to handle a bit more load (more players and whatever).

:D

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I made an automated cobblestone factory using pistons and redstone. Here's how:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw_DFbcMzkg[/M]

Thanks for the tutorial! I actually build a structure that looks like a factory (with silos and all) around the plant.

Factory.png

Factory2.png

Because I was going for the whole factory thing, I added an extra piston to stop the machine instead of manually doing it. I put the piston three blocks underground with two blocks of sand or gravel above it. The circuit wire goes right on top of the gravel. When I want to stop the production, I press a switch that activates the piston. This raises the sand up and disconnects the circuit.

Factory3.png

Factory4.png

What happens though is that the redstone piece detaches from the sand, which requires you to pick it up and replace it.

This is not really a 'real' solution to the problem of stopping the circuit, but because I was going for a whole factory design, it seems a bit more 'elegant', or appropriately themed.

I am sure there is a way to block the circuit using logic gates in some other manner, but I really have not explored minecraft circuits enough to find one.

Actually I think if you put a NAND gate at one of the corners, and connect the stop switch to one end of the NAND and the other to one of the corners of the ring, activating the stop switch would halt the circuit. The only issue is that if you activate the stop switch while the circuit is off it will actually start the circuit back up again.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Me and jay built a redstone area for our server. It's a massive bedrock room with a glass ceiling and a few layers of sand on the floor. You can access it through the portal network. It's pretty far out of the way.

Here's the digital sequence lock I built for fun.

[SCREENSHOT]http://inferno.codebrainshideout.net/Images/nerd.png[/SCREENSHOT]

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Thanks for the tutorial! I actually build a structure that looks like a factory (with silos and all) around the plant.

Factory.png

Factory2.png

Because I was going for the whole factory thing, I added an extra piston to stop the machine instead of manually doing it. I put the piston three blocks underground with two blocks of sand or gravel above it. The circuit wire goes right on top of the gravel. When I want to stop the production, I press a switch that activates the piston. This raises the sand up and disconnects the circuit.

Factory3.png

Factory4.png

What happens though is that the redstone piece detaches from the sand, which requires you to pick it up and replace it.

This is not really a 'real' solution to the problem of stopping the circuit, but because I was going for a whole factory design, it seems a bit more 'elegant', or appropriately themed.

I am sure there is a way to block the circuit using logic gates in some other manner, but I really have not explored minecraft circuits enough to find one.

Actually I think if you put a NAND gate at one of the corners, and connect the stop switch to one end of the NAND and the other to one of the corners of the ring, activating the stop switch would halt the circuit. The only issue is that if you activate the stop switch while the circuit is off it will actually start the circuit back up again.

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to take the design and make something cool out of it. Also, I will experiment using a NAND gate with a button to toggle the machine on and off. Just as a side note, did you know that if you put a piston that reciprocates up at some point in the manufacturing line, and then activate it, it will raise and stop the flow when the cobblestone hits it? Pistons cannot push other pistons when they are extended and the base is in the ground.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to take the design and make something cool out of it. Also, I will experiment using a NAND gate with a button to toggle the machine on and off. Just as a side note, did you know that if you put a piston that reciprocates up at some point in the manufacturing line, and then activate it, it will raise and stop the flow when the cobblestone hits it? Pistons cannot push other pistons when they are extended and the base is in the ground.

True, that could be used to stop the machine. My stone slab conveyer-belt thingy is actually exactly as far as the piston will push the cobblestone, so it stops when the cobblestone reaches the end of the line.

I tried to looks for some suggestions to use pistons for something kewl to do, like what you have done but all I found were trap doors, trap floors, trap ceilings, and trap walls. Kudos for making something that isn't a trap!

On another note, I tried to play the game with the 3D Analagraph turned on, and I must say it actually does look like 3D! The only other game I have that has a red-blue shift is Trackmania, but I must say Minecraft actually looks 3D with it on. Although it is not perfect, as many parts of the world do not render when it is on, making it hard to play. Also, I would not recommend staring at a red-blue screen for more than 5-minutes. Your eyes may bleed.

Anyway, I have been wanting to get some slime to make a sticky-piston elevator, but slime is really hard to find on peaceful. Minecraft wiki claims the slime spawns on peaceful, but I have yet to see one, even when strip mining from levels 0-14.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
So, I've been thinking about loading some kind of gameplay mod on the server once the final version of the game is released. More specifically this mod or something in this vein that adds more functional machines to the game.

I want to get your guy's ( Hazel and Flash ) opinion on this. Watch the whole video before giving an opinion. I think a mod like this could really extend the gameplay in minecraft and allow for us to make a lot of cool stuff that's not possible with the current stuff ( IE buggy as hell, server crashing and rather useless pistons )
Looks interesting, I wouldn't mind trying it out :)

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected

Actually I just thought of a solution for the off switch.

Basically, with the logic gate, we want the off switch to activate only when the circuit is powered on. Thus, we will need two gates.

Actually, we will need to build a circuit before any of the flow reaches the piston circuit. The on circuit will branch off and form an AND gate with the off switch. This limits the off switch to only pass electricity when the 'on' switch is switched on. Then, that path reconnects with the primary line in an exclusive OR gate, or aka XOR gate. The XOR gate only allows electricity to pass if only one of the inputs is active. Thus, when the 'on' switch is set, it will pass through and start the circuit. If the off switch is activated, it passes through the AND gate, but ends up blocking the XOR gate.

Check out the picture because I am sure my block of text is confusing:

minecraftcircuit.png

My only concern now is how, or where this will connect to the piston circuit. I have only had this game for a few weeks and I do not know much about repeaters. I will try to observe how the circuit works and try some things out, but I am sure you (being the creator of the piston circuit) can figure your own circuit out a lot easier.

------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Actually, I think I found even a better solution...using a latch or flip flop! (Which I should have thought of earlier)

Last edited: