UT3 DM-Nano (Beta 1)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Name: Nano
Game type: DM / TDM
Version: Beta 1
Compatibility: Patch 2.1 + Titan Pack
Story / Histoire:

Once occupied by Axon, this base under rock was used to store mainly toxic containers. It was discovered by coincidence by the Necris. The Necris have setup this base & use it as a 'Nano' storehouse. We can found several types of Nano, the yellow, the yellow/orange, the green & the black.

Autrefois occupée par les Axon, cette base sous roches servait de dépôt de produits toxiques en conteneurs. Elle fut découverte par hasard par les Necris. Les Necris ont aménagé cette base & s'en servent comme dépôt de 'Nano'. On y retrouve plusieurs types de Nano ; la jaune, la jaune/orange, la verte & la noir.

Screenshots:

[screenshot]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7016/mainhnx.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7231/shocko.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8606/helmety.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6305/belti.jpg[/screenshot]

Comments:

This is my second map. Beta 1 took more than 700 working hours split on 7 months. There is almost 12 000 items in this map. I hope you will like it :) All armors, medium health & powerups are very easy to collect, therefore are placed in dangerous spots. Take note that this is a dark map & you will only appreciate it while playing with low surrounding light. Playing in daytime is not as pleasing.

Things left to do by priority for the final version :

- Optimize the level the best I can so that FPS will be higher. I've done ±40% for B1.
- Some finishing touches here & there.
- Fix bugs if any.

About the jumppads, I made everything I can to set them right. By taking them from front, there is no problem & you get use to them rather quickly ;)

Credits: Consult the included text file.

Downloads:

PC Beta 1 (from FilePlanet)
PC Beta 1 (from MediaFire)
PS3: Since I use a lot of assets included in the Titan pack, a PS3 cook is not possible, I'm very sorry
:(

This is my first post on BU's forums so I thought it would be cool to start with an important one for myself. This is the same map you will find on Epic forums. I'm trying to obtain as much constructive feedback as I can to truly make this map a good one.

THX in advance :D

Last edited:

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
No comments yet... :(

Anyway, just wanted to let those interested what as been done since B1 :

- Add 4 blocking volume on top of the 4 fans so projectile aren't rendered at the exterior of the map.
- Adjust some SM collisions.
- Minors lighting changes here & there.
- Fix, player been stuck in the Stinger ceiling near the 2 vials.
- Fix, player been stuck in the opening trying to go from the vest armor to the corridor beside.
- Enhance the lift so it stop at the Vest level now before reaching is destination.
- Enhance some sounds settings all around the map.
- Assign proper sound on all my materials.
- Finish the sky.
- Make the 3 fans near the shock rotate. Each on there individual speed & direction. The fastest one as a sound.
- Adjust height fog so it's a tiny bit less dense but more bright. It's more balanced with the sky now.

I intent to publish only 1 other version before the final which will be RC1 & not before a couple of weeks. If you found anything, please let me know !

THX

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
A quick note to mention that there won't be RC1. All known bugs as been fixed but there was almost none in the first place.

Since no one as post something to at least give there overall impression of the map, the next one is final. In all case, It will be better than Beta 1 so I don't see why I would upload another version if only few folks care about it.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I've been so busy working on my map that I have not been watching others closely. I'll give this one a try within the next few hours. It looks incredible from the screenshots.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
I got a chance to try it out. The first time I played against the bots, I got my butt handed to me. It was a short 5 minute game, and I only got one kill. The second time I did much better (I got the 2nd most kills and fewest deaths).

The map is nicely polished. It is filled with a variety of sounds. I did not get caught on static mesh edges. Bots play really well.

The layout and flow seem good too. I like how you've placed the power-ups (a few careful jumps for the shield belt, jump boots used to get invulnerability, armor tucked away but still visible from multiple areas, ...).

I think you really achieved the high-detail, visually-dense look you were going for. You've made good use of the 12000 meshes. You also have some nice particle effects. Any weaknesses of the map are mainly natural challenges of this mesh-heavy style.

1. The high poly count impacts performance (though it is not terrible).
  2. The high level of detail everywhere can make it difficult to see the overall shape and layout of the map.
  3. Areas tend to look similar. Everything looks good, and I can see that different parts of the map actually are differently themed, but it is not obvious.
Items 2 and 3 combine to make things tend to blend together. I think the more someone plays the map, then the more they get a feel for it and appreciate the subtle variations, but more distinction would help people learn the map and give a better first impression. For example, some areas of interest could have stronger lighting than the rest (though I realize this can be difficult with static meshes). You could also make the different areas have greater variation in color themes or even sound themes. The map is already very good, so anything you can do in this regard is bonus.

Now that I've got the vague comments out of the way, here are some specific suggestions that are probably more useful.

I think the radius on some sounds is too small. It feels unnatural when a sound suddenly disappears a few feet from its source. I've run into cases in my own mapping where increasing sound radii can be difficult because I have found no good way to stop sounds from passing through walls, but with this style of map I think it will not be a problem.

The sounds where you have steam coming from vents seem too high pitch for their visual appearance.

I think it is OK that you have yellow flares that look similar to your orange jump pads. I quickly learned the difference, but I found at least one flare that was orange and looked too much like a jump pad.

You might try putting neon-style lights along some platform edges and along some edges between floor and wall. This could help distinguish things like I mentioned earlier. You could use different colors to identify different areas and even to hint at which weapons are in the area.

From the length of this post, it might seem like there are a lot of problems, but that is not the case. This is a great map that could easily be released as it is. I'm just trying to provide a much feedback as possible.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Downloading this large map. I'm going to comment on this later.

Played the map. Reminds me of Doom 3. Didn't run into any issues, but the map is large and dark, it would be easy to miss something. Overall, it's a nice map.

Last edited:

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
I got a chance to try it out. The first time I played against the bots, I got my butt handed to me. It was a short 5 minute game, and I only got one kill. The second time I did much better (I got the 2nd most kills and fewest deaths).

The map is nicely polished. It is filled with a variety of sounds. I did not get caught on static mesh edges. Bots play really well.

The layout and flow seem good too. I like how you've placed the power-ups (a few careful jumps for the shield belt, jump boots used to get invulnerability, armor tucked away but still visible from multiple areas, ...).

I think you really achieved the high-detail, visually-dense look you were going for. You've made good use of the 12000 meshes. You also have some nice particle effects. Any weaknesses of the map are mainly natural challenges of this mesh-heavy style.

1. The high poly count impacts performance (though it is not terrible).
  2. The high level of detail everywhere can make it difficult to see the overall shape and layout of the map.
  3. Areas tend to look similar. Everything looks good, and I can see that different parts of the map actually are differently themed, but it is not obvious.
Items 2 and 3 combine to make things tend to blend together. I think the more someone plays the map, then the more they get a feel for it and appreciate the subtle variations, but more distinction would help people learn the map and give a better first impression. For example, some areas of interest could have stronger lighting than the rest (though I realize this can be difficult with static meshes). You could also make the different areas have greater variation in color themes or even sound themes. The map is already very good, so anything you can do in this regard is bonus.

I'm happy you like it & indeed, the more you play, the more you will be familiar with the simple layout. About point # 1, I'm optimizing the map the more I can at the moment so at least, FPS will be better. Most folks are having a minimum of 30 FPS in 1920*1080 but it's to low for my taste so it will be better. About point # 2 / 3, I understand what you mean, but thing is that I only like few Necris meshe so it restraint by much the use of what I can do so that is why you can see a lot of the same mesh use in different ways. I also keep in mind stock maps like DM-Fearless which use very limited color variation & brightness. I do understand what you mean but for that map, I want a more constant feeling instead of a to much contrast feeling.

Now that I've got the vague comments out of the way, here are some specific suggestions that are probably more useful.

I think the radius on some sounds is too small. It feels unnatural when a sound suddenly disappears a few feet from its source. I've run into cases in my own mapping where increasing sound radii can be difficult because I have found no good way to stop sounds from passing through walls, but with this style of map I think it will not be a problem.

I change a lot of audio properties in my working version (the final one). Indeed, some sound have more radius now & other changes. But, even if I use the "natural" modulation, it pass trough walls damn it so I must set them right. But it is indeed a problem whatever modulation I select. On that aspect, it's better.

The sounds where you have steam coming from vents seem too high pitch for their visual appearance.

I presume it's the sounds in the bezerk room because there is another leak on the lower level in the corridor between the link / rocket launcher ?

I think it is OK that you have yellow flares that look similar to your orange jump pads. I quickly learned the difference, but I found at least one flare that was orange and looked too much like a jump pad.

I think your talking about the yellow one below the medium health in the belt room ?

You might try putting neon-style lights along some platform edges and along some edges between floor and wall. This could help distinguish things like I mentioned earlier. You could use different colors to identify different areas and even to hint at which weapons are in the area.

I already think of something alike but it won't match with the rest of the level (meshing speaking) & there is already to much meshe so I don't intent to add others. I already think of using water & more smoke & such in the level at some spots so it could be easier to position yourself but water won't fit well with Nano & adding to much special effects will kill FPS so that is why I didn't had more stuff.

From the length of this post, it might seem like there are a lot of problems, but that is not the case. This is a great map that could easily be released as it is. I'm just trying to provide a much feedback as possible.

Hé hé, don't worry dude, you give very constructive suggestions & I'm happy that you like it in all & I THX you for sharing your thoughts & pointing out some stuff that I'll fix for sure ;)

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Downloading this large map. I'm going to comment on this later.

Played the map. Reminds me of Doom 3. Didn't run into any issues, but the map is large and dark, it would be easy to miss something. Overall, it's a nice map.

In the end, I'm happy you like :D

THX

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
I ran out of time yesterday, but today I went back in to check on the answers to your questions.

I presume it's the sounds in the bezerk room because there is another leak on the lower level in the corridor between the link / rocket launcher ?

Yeah, I was referring to this one.

It's not really a problem-- just something I had noticed on my first walkthrough.

I think your talking about the yellow one below the medium health in the belt room ?

Hmm... I guess that is it after all. I knew the yellow flares were not jump pads, but I guess in the heat of battle it looked more orange to me. Regardless, it is probably worth having it be a jump pad like the one next to it.

I already think of using water & more smoke & such in the level at some spots so it could be easier to position yourself but water won't fit well with Nano & adding to much special effects will kill FPS

"Water" might not fit the theme, but some pools/streams of nano would. I think it could be done without much impact on FPS. I see you have some of that already, but it is pretty hidden away (under the floor, etc).

I do have to say that this map grows on me more each time I play it.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Ha, cool, now I know what your talking about :D In fact it's the same sound that I use for all leaks but with different pitch so I have only few sounds loaded in memory for performance reasons. That one is already pitched lower than the others but I'll try to make it even lower.

I'll try to make the yellow flare look brighter since the color may look to close than the other one. I already use 2 jumpad there in early builds but I remove it after, it wasn't very good.

THX dude for your answers so I know exactly what you mean :D

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Here is the current status :

- Add 4 blocking volume on top of the 4 fans so projectile aren't rendered at the exterior of the map.
- Make the 3 fans near the shock rotate. Each on there individual speed & direction. The fastest one as a sound.
- Fix player been stuck from Shock combo in the Stinger ceiling near the 2 vials.
- Fix player been stuck in the opening trying to go from the vest armor to the corridor beside.
- Fix player been stuck in the stairs when to close to the wall, taking the stairs leading to the bio weapon from the center.
- Enhance the lift movement so it stop at the Vest level now before reaching is destination.
- Enhance the lift look so it look more Necris.
- Enhance the green Nano in the various "tubes". There is a background effect now instead of being a very dark green Nano.
- Enhance various sounds settings all around the map.
- Add a prettier rock material on all rocks. It's now twice more detailed than the stock material.
- Finish the sky.
- Adjust height fog so it's a tiny bit less dense but more bright. It's more balanced with the sky now.
- Some minors visuals changes including lighting changes here & there.
- Some finishing touches here & there.

What is left to do :

- Adjust SM collisions everywhere.
- Optimize the level the best I can so that FPS is as high as I can possibly get.

I have a lot done but it's not finished yet. It's damn long & boring to do :(

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Seems like you are making good progress. Once you have a new download, I'll give it a try.

Yeah, I was just thinking today about that same thing regarding my map. I've created a lot of materials (some new and some variations of existing ones), but I have not been careful about choosing good physical materials for them.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Yeah, the list isn't that extensive but everything is damn long to do. The thing that was quick to do was to assign proper sound on my material. I have a lot of them but copy/paste is my friend he he :)

The next version is the final so if you like B1, you can't go wrong with the final for sure :D

I manage to delete some meshes so the count is now ±11 500. I hope it will help in the optimization department !

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
He he dude, of course I'm gonna finish it.

A part collisions & optimizations left to do, there is only 1 damn jumpad that give me some real headache but whatever setting I change, it's damn behavior remain the same so I must leave it like that :(

But you will have the final for sure. I supposed in ± 2 weeks.

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Heu... mmm... well... I figure mid October if I have the time to finish it the way I planned.

I have other things to do so that is why I work less this map recently.

Did you try the beta ?