Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
I wouldn't worry, most photos on the net are very low res, so as long as you've got the original full size file with the EXIF then there'll be no doubt it's yours.

Lovely b&w work by the way...nicely composed and a good conversion.

Good point, and thank you very much! Your black & whites are gorgeous btw. :eek:

Anyone here do film based photography, or are you all into digital?

I've done it, as well as developed my own photos (and it stinks, literally!) etc. I prefer digital though as it's much more cost efficient, it has more flexibility and while film photography can be rewarding, digital has more flexibility. I've just started university to do a degree in photography and specifically it's looking at photography in the media (publishing etc) and they actively encourage us to use digital as it's the format of the future, really. Infact, they closed down their colour darkrooms last year as nobody was using them. I can see them doing the same with the black and white ones soon.

I don't edit any of my digital photo's at all, as I think that people just overedit their photo's to the point where it becomes digital art rather than photography

No, I disagree. How is altering the cropping/dodging & burning a photo any different on photoshop to what you would do in a darkroom? There's a pretty broad mark between photo editing and photo manipulation. When you start adding brushes, backgrounds etc. THEN I will agree with you that it's photo manipulation, but just to make a photo look better, I'll deem it as valid.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
It's a decent camera, and you're right that the D40X has been discontinued..it's been replaced by the D60. Don't forget that the D40 only focuses with AF-S lenses..so it won't work with older Nikon lenses. This shouldn't be a problem though, all new Nikon glass is AF-S and there's a large range of lenses to choose from.
What BBA says is true though....you'll be better off with a D80...it has better handling and features.
Now the D90 has been released, prices of D80s should tumble as retailers clear out their stock...although Nikon's site is still showing the D80 as a current model. (I'm selling mine, along with a Nikkor 18-200VR and Sigma 10-20 if you're interested ;-) )

Thanks for the insight mate :tup: and about the deal, Ill pm you soon :) thanks a lot bro :D

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Trip to London last week:

[screenshot]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2885430395_2c66d6ba20_o.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2886267046_6205995feb_o.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/2888442266_b302f4b085_b.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2871142558_fa96988868_o.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2870314627_988f8867e8_o.jpg[/screenshot]

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
Speaking of film, here's an example:

PolinaBW.jpg

I'm scared to think how much post I'd have to do with digital to get it looking somewhat like this. Loads of fiddling with adjustment masks, that's for sure! :p

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I enhanced the colours by editing the raw file, I had shot that image with it saving a jpeg that the camera had processed, the camera's jpeg looked like this

Just wish I had shot it with a higher DoF, that was the lowest that lens would do at 100mm though (if only I had a 2x adaptor to use with my 50mm 1.8!)

Thanks for the comments :)

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I'm scared to think how much post I'd have to do with digital to get it looking somewhat like this. Loads of fiddling with adjustment masks, that's for sure! :p

Or you could just take the photo in the same way you took it with a film camera.

Digital != point and click+photoshop, even though most people treat it like that. If people took the time and consideration with digital as they do with film (which many people in this thread obviously do), they would have much nicer shots that didn't need editing.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
So my new camera shoots raw files as .cr2. Photoshop CS2 doesn't "understand" them. So I did some reading and found some fixes, but none of them work. Should I just get CS3 and does anyone know if that works?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I enhanced the colours by editing the raw file, I had shot that image with it saving a jpeg that the camera had processed, the camera's jpeg looked like this

Could you explain what you did more or less ? That's some nice contrast in that edit.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Toni and Head those pics are freaking awesome man! :tup:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
So my new camera shoots raw files as .cr2. Photoshop CS2 doesn't "understand" them. So I did some reading and found some fixes, but none of them work. Should I just get CS3 and does anyone know if that works?
Hi Billy, I import CR2 files into Photoshop CS2 without a problem, think I used a plugin for this.
At a quick google this looks like it might be what you need
Hope that sorts it for you :)

Could you explain what you did more or less ? That's some nice contrast in that edit.
If I remember correctly, I upped the contrast a fraction, then made the shadows a lot more dominant. Saturation was upped to taste, then I just adjusted brightness to suit. All this was done when importing the raw file into photoshop (not after)

Toni and Head those pics are freaking awesome man! :tup:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
If I remember correctly, I upped the contrast a fraction, then made the shadows a lot more dominant. Saturation was upped to taste, then I just adjusted brightness to suit. All this was done when importing the raw file into photoshop (not after)

Interesting. I'm not into photography but I found some good results using some slight saturation and gamma in video edting. In my opinion, your tweaking of the shadows is what makes the flowers stand out. I'm going to give this a go when I reinstall Vegas and AE.