Which TNT2 drivers are the best?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
For the longest time now i've been using the old 2.08 reference drivers for my Nvidia TNT2 Viper V770, but i've been having some trouble with UT recently and figured that I should try one of the more recently released drivers. I downloaded the Detonator 3.68 driver for Win9x, but it actually seems like UT runs worse (not to mention that I now have a whole load of graphical gliches). So, I was searching around the net for the 2.08 drivers so I could reinstall them (I lost the CD), and I discovered that http://www.riva3d.com had updated 3.84, 5.13, and 5.14 drivers for Win9x as well as all the previous releases. Anyway, my question is: Which one should I get? Should I stick with the outdated-but-stable 2.08 reference drivers, or should I go with the more-recent-but-unofficial Detonator drivers? Any feedback is appreciated.

-Keiichi

------------------
If the past is an idea that can only occur in the here-and-now, and the future is also just a concept happening strictly in the present, is there really a past and future? Or just a continuum of present moments?

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
It's not so much a matter of speed as it is graphical bugs. Since I installed the 3.68 drivers, i've been noticing alot of texture flickering/misalignment and missing polygons (I found out that the reason the menus were wiggin' out because I had been messing with the texel alignment). I'm downloading the unofficial 3.84, 5.13, and 5.14 drivers right now, and i'm going to see how those work out. If not, I found the 2.08 drivers, so i'll just reinstall them. Oh well, live and learn. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My system specs are:
Intel Pentium II-400mHz
128Mb RAM
Nvidia TNT2 Diamond Viper V770

With the 2.08 drivers I was getting around 30-35fps in CTF-LavaGiant. With the 3.68 drivers I get around 25-30fps (I also noticed that with the updated drivers, my mouse seems to lag a lot).

-Keiichi

P.S. The fog is still all messed up with the 3.68 drivers as well (see my post on Volumetric Lighting below).

------------------
If the past is an idea that can only occur in the here-and-now, and the future is also just a concept happening strictly in the present, is there really a past and future? Or just a continuum of present moments?

[This message has been edited by Keiichi (edited 04-16-2000).]

Your systems specs are about the same as mine, so I think I can help you out here.What is the resolution you run UT at ( 960x720 for me) 32bit or 16bit? (32bit) Also, it usually helps if you ctrl+alt+delete to close out all unnecessary programs running in the background before loading UT. If you can, try closing out Systray, it doesnt really do anything when you close it, all you should have running after that is Explorer and your systems resources should be at 89% Thats all I can think of, hope this helps /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I ussually run UT at 1024x768x32. I tried the leaked 5.14 drivers and UT ran at like 5fps, so I reinstalled the original retail drivers (I got my brother to lend me his CD) and everything is back to normal now.

-Keiichi

------------------