Grand Theft Auto 5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
So, so far it's good, and fun, though I was hoping that combat would be more interesting, and it seems that they gave up on maturing the series, and just threw their hands into the air. Oh well. Trevor is the most perfect character for the series: driven and complicated at moments, but then veering off, doing something crazy that makes no sense (and is sometimes great, sometimes terrible) and then going back to serious without blinking, leaving everyone around feeling confused.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
they gave up on maturing the series, and just threw their hands into the air.

sorry, what do you mean?
when was GTA ever heading in a more mature direction?

maybe a slightly more realistic direction after graduating from the cartoon style of GTAIII-era to the gritty style of IV-era. but it's never been the least bit mature :p

Quit the fucking chit-chat and make with the gifs already.

0iRrxEg.gif

VspQkxG.gif

1gr2S.gif

1gqZG.gif

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
sorry, what do you mean?
when was GTA ever heading in a more mature direction?

maybe a slightly more realistic direction after graduating from the cartoon style of GTAIII-era to the gritty style of IV-era. but it's never been the least bit mature :p

GTA III was silly, Vice City even more so, SA less so, GTA IV even less silly, and was aiming for a more realistic take on things and a little less satirical, with a main character who they tried to make more "complicated" and realistic, especially maintaining friendships and girlfriends, etc. For GTA V they abandoned that and it's essentially GTA III again, only with the graphics tightened up on level 3. This is why Trevor is perfect, as he is just a complete nutjob, and the series works best as the crazy rise of a complete nutjob.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
It seems that they gave up on maturing the series, and just threw their hands into the air. Oh well.

Trevor is the most perfect character for the series: driven and complicated at moments, but then veering off, doing something crazy that makes no sense.

Isn't this a bit self-contradicting? You want the series to head into a more serious and mature direction, but then you cheer for one of the most comical nutjob characters on the the whole franchise?

I swear, if R* doesn't release GTA V for PC, I'm gonna go out on a killing spree. You just watch out!

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
This pisses me off. You find a really cool car, drive it back to your house to store it in the garage, but once you pull into the driveway, a mission gets triggered. Say goodbye to the car. :mad:

Same deal when you leave a car on the street somewhere. When you move far enough away, it just disappears. Why? As a programmer, this offends me. I know the PS3 is limited in terms of memory, but it's not like it takes a lot to store a single car at coordinates X,Y.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Isn't this a bit self-contradicting? You want the series to head into a more serious and mature direction, but then you cheer for one of the most comical nutjob characters on the the whole franchise?

I swear, if R* doesn't release GTA V for PC, I'm gonna go out on a killing spree. You just watch out!

I see your point, but no. I would RATHER they figure out a way to make the games more mature and serious, but there were HUGE tonal problems in GTA IV, where the story they were trying to tell didn't mesh at all with the things that you were actually doing and the world you actually inhabited. In GTA V, they gave up, and embraced the silliness more wholeheartedly--there are still serious moments, but they aren't the main drive, and the whole focus is on the over-the-top, and while it's about as clever of satire as could be found among a group of relatively intelligent 16yo boys, it's still fun. With Trevor, they have a character who personifies this, and things feel more organic, moving from serious to whacky with ease, instead of the clunky back and forth previously.

So yeah, it sucks that it isn't trying to be a smarter piece of work (smart and funny aren't mutually exclusive), but I'm glad they're no longer pretending to be one thing (serious) while actually being another (silly and childish).

Also: Franklin's pot smoking ? mission was cute.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
I see your point, but no. I would RATHER they figure out a way to make the games more mature and serious, but there were HUGE tonal problems in GTA IV, where the story they were trying to tell didn't mesh at all with the things that you were actually doing and the world you actually inhabited. In GTA V, they gave up, and embraced the silliness more wholeheartedly--there are still serious moments, but they aren't the main drive, and the whole focus is on the over-the-top, and while it's about as clever of satire as could be found among a group of relatively intelligent 16yo boys, it's still fun. With Trevor, they have a character who personifies this, and things feel more organic, moving from serious to whacky with ease, instead of the clunky back and forth previously.

How can you see my point if I've shown you no point thus far? There's nowhere in my previous post where I mentioned my personal preference of what tone should be predominant...

My take on the tone is I don't really care. What I care above all is that the game is fun. A game is, after all, an entertainment. I also want a good story and a good sandbox experince. From the reviews, GTA V gets 10 out of 10 for these two things. There are roughly 80 main missions and all none of them feel dull or unnecessary. And although the ending is said to be kind of weak, the story is lenghy and interesting, and that's what counts to me.

Plus, IMO a new approach in tone makes each game more unpredictable when you take the plunge into it's universe.

One more thing: ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING SPOILERS! THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE WHO DON'T OWN A FUCKING CONSOLE!

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
You said I was being self-contradicting, and while I could see what you were saying, I disagreed that it was a contradictory statement, but that it could use some better 'splaining.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Dragonfliet said:
SA less so

San Andreas was not silly? Wut? If anything San-Andreas took it to new levels.

Sneaking onto a aircraft carrier to steal a harrier? Chasing down Ryder on a boat as he yells "im a motherfucking genious!"? Having girlfriends that are each into different types of dates (including one that PREFERS to go to a fast-food joint versus a nice place)? Attacking Area-51 to steal a jetpack? Stealing a crop harvester and proceeding to run over the farmers who try to attack you? Having rough sex with the antagonist of GTA3 before she falls for the GTA3 dude and you have to streetrace him before they both run off to Liberty City (preceding the events of GTA3)? Working for a blind Asian billionaire who refuses to admit that he is blind while everyone pretends not to know to make him happy? Stealing the rhymebook of a famous rapper (in a splinter-cell-like mission) for your looser friend only to later save the rapper's life as he tries to kill himself when his career falters, only to steal the rhymebook back from your looser friend to bring the rapper back to popularity? The missions were completely nutters! What game did you play?

Last edited: