UT3 Assault

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Looks like a great start to creating Assault on UT3, but after two plays of the map I encountered a bug where when spawning on the defending team I was stuck in the camera angle that shows the tank blowing up after you finish attacking.

UTGangster

Aug 17, 2008
Wales (U.K.)
In terms of gameplay and gametype rcretion this is impressive so far and shows great potentail. You may have to work on AI becasue after my team conquered assault, when it came to the over team, they couldn't even blow open the first door, so i defended for nothing really.

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
I won't force anyone to get it, after all it's in progress, but I'm curious to hear about bugs and suggestions.
Here's a new one anyways, nothing new to show but hopefully the end round bug is gone
Assault1a.zip
I didn't touch the AI yet, in my tests they didn't fail but would sometimes take time hesitating. I know need to implement an offset because the pivot of that door is too low.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
So, what are the features? What's done? What's left to do? What is being worked on at the moment? What are known issues? Do we get a test map? How do you create maps for this gametype? Is it online compatible?

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Currently done:
There's one test map
Simple objectives ala UT1
Didn't test online
Known issues:
When the cinematic ends you may see the POV of the best player for a split second. A timer problem, looks bad but not game breaking.
As for how to create map it's too early but you can open the current one in Ued (load the package before the map).

JToipa

Feb 25, 2009
Hi, I've registered on this forum some time ago but this is my first post because I wanted to give you some feedback on this.

You have currently done a splendid job recreating this mode, what you've done so far surpasses most, if not all, of the Unreal community efforts to bring back AS to UT3, congrats on that!

Although, you have still a long way to go, I don't know if you are working alone on this but if so, may I suggest you to form a team so it's easier for you to complete this? There are still lots of issues with this but I believe that with the appropriate support from the community fans will be playing AS on UT3 in a few months.

What I think you should do, also, is to spread the word and show everyone your work so far, so that the community may help you as much as possible, for example, show your assault mod in every website regarding Unreal and UE games, starting with EPIC forums.

Finally, put up some screenshots and deeper information on this in the first post so people feel attracted to try this!

Last edited:

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks but I'm not aware of those efforts you mention, it looks more like no one cared, unless something went under my radar.
I added some screens, there's another map to try vehicles and optional objective (they aren't shown on the hud currently)

JToipa

Feb 25, 2009
There were some teams working on this but eventually gave up because of the limitations of this new Unreal Editor. Going to try this new map, will give you some feedback tomorrow as soon as I test it :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No, really, we care, but one sentence topic isn't enough to make us download something...

Anyway, I've got the install, but I can't launch the map. It crashes on load with a Microsoft "Please report this problem" message. Why didn't they leave the General Protection Fault messages in anyway?..

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Ha, thanks for reporting. Was there anything in the log ? Did you have mutators active ?

JToipa

Feb 25, 2009
Done with testing the new map and version. Big improvements but it is still a very long way to go.

First and foremost, I think the scoring is all wrong. I don't remember if the scoring was like this in UT because I don't play it for ages, but I can assure you that in 2k4 it definitily wasn't like this. In 2k4 it wasn't about rounds but pairs of rounds. In the first round, you attacked and then in the second round depending on the time you spent the other team would try to attack faster than you. The quickest or the one who completed more objectives scored one point. So in a pair of rounds only one team could score one point, as opposed to what happens now in your version where you score on every single round. I suggest to reinstall 2k4, if you lost the CD the demo will do it, AS-Convoy is a very good example of what an Assault map should be.

Now, why can't we set our own time nor score? It seems it's fixed already by you, we want the opportunity to choose the time we want to play for and how many points we need to win the game.

Other than that, in the new map I found it really confusing to know what I had to do and where were the objectives, only after several rounds I got it. Maybe some HUD info on what to do or where are the objectives. For example, how the heck would I know I had to stand in front of that computer-thingy to activate the bombing? I couldn't because there was nothing indicating me that I had to stand there. I had to study the bots very closely.

Finally, it seems the AI are still a tad stupid.

Oh, and I know the new map is just a placeholder for testing but it is really unfinished, lots of stupid meshes and stuff like that.

Hope this helps :)

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Currently it's possible to choose time, with bUseMapTimeLimit=False in UTGame.ini under the assault section. Not the score but as you pointed the scoring might need changing

For example, how the heck would I know I had to stand in front of that computer-thingy to activate the bombing? I couldn't because there was nothing indicating me that I had to stand there. I had to study the bots very closely.

It's the optional objective I mentioned, as I said they're not on the hud because I didn't take the time yet. I had the idea of making them a bit harder to find than the main ones, but not that hard. I'm thinking a secondary arrow in the circle could be enough, If not I guess I'll just try to copy 2k4.

I agree about the AI & map, I can't do good looking maps so I chose to leave it at that

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, I've looked at the log after crashing again and it seems that was actually caused by a corrupted skin. Good thing I looked there, will save a lot of frustration :)

Overall the mod is quite cool, but yes, it really needs HUD icons. I had no idea what to do with the core in the desert map, so I kept running into it, falling and dying :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
You should enable hoverboards, it's really annoying to lack one in vehicle matches such as the new terrain map. Also, when you shoot flak at an objective, it bounces off (same with flak alt fire), and if you use any instant fire weapons, the crosshairs don't turn red.