Medieval/Fantasy mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Messager

Welcome to the OtherSide
Sep 29, 2002
Visit site
About magic

Maybe if you put the magic workins like adrenaline it will work. Like you make some frags and when you have enough power you make a combination and voila! or you recover magic power by time, and frags help it going faster. About the mod it's a good idea but i already saw a mod with use of magic.

If you need help count with me(i loved dark vengance btw).

Last edited:

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
Well here is a cross-post from the Atari forums. it is a WIP design document. oh and here is another pic of my favorite axe!!!

HarvesterUT

Attachments

• weapons3.jpg
    weapons3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 44

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
because I'm already having a hard enough time keeping up with my current team LOL otherwise I likely would :)

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
Sir_Brizz said:
because I'm already having a hard enough time keeping up with my current team LOL otherwise I likely would :)

:mad:

hehe, i understand.....all these mods and muts people are trying to do

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
JamesKilton said:
Hey Harvester: Curious, is this one mod you keep redoing or are you currently head of about 4 mods now?

this is the ONLY mod i am currently working on. I joined the Tactics team, and it died. Then i started Stellar Conflict, and progress was decent, but then we got the news about UT2004 and how they were making space-fighters and all that (which was the essence of Stellar Conflict). So we decided to cancel that mod too cuz Epic was basically making our mod for us :D

so now I bring this mod to the table. this is the ONLY mod i am working on....and if it gains support....this will be the only mod I spend my time on.

HarvesterUT

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
I was wondering....Don't you think those melee weapons are all alike?
I mean they seem to me like realism instant hit weapons: Shoot and hit, all work the same just effects differ.
Did you ever wonder about that?

I like the idea of the mod and was thinking making something like that myself, but I wonder what the lack of variety on weapons will do to the gameplay.

Last edited:

Mychaeel

Doc_EDo said:
I mean they seem to me like realism instant hit weapons: Shoot and hit, all work the same just effects differ.
I'm sure anybody sufficiently into "realism" mods would stone you to death for a blasphemous statement like this...

...though I tend to agree, to a degree.

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
Doc_EDo said:
Did you ever wonder about that?

I like the idea of the mod and was thinking making something like that myself, but I wonder what the lack of variety on weapons will do to the gameplay.

yes i agree that melee weapons are all "similar". however, each one will have different damage, different attack speed, different damage radius (how far away it can hit)

of couse melee weapons arent the only way to fight. magic will play a big role too. mages will be able to cast spells...but of course they will have to shoot and aim to hit their targets. no "instant" spells....that would be too easy.

of course i have thought of the limitations melee weapons pose to a game. having to get so close to another player to attack. players could just run away from all the fights and avoid the enemy. however the only way to gain experience and money (for better weapons) will be to fight. perhaps there is something to be implemented that will allow melee fighting to be feasable? this is why i could always use more people on the team (hint: coders) so we can toss around ideas and come up with something that will be fun and new.

HarvesterUT

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
You just finish models, skins, animation and import (a lot of work). For me it's easy so if you don't find coders I'll code for ya. The mapping and modeling takes a lot of work so coders are mostly waiting for others to finish their jobs. The coding part for weapons shouldn't be a big deal. Just finish the modeling/skinning/animation part. :eek:

One way to make melee fight better is to reduce player speed so it's harder to just run away. :lol:
I bet double jumps, and flips will be cool in those fights. ;)

Also you need to set up a web page for the mod.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
As for the veriety, try playing Rune. It seems like the weapons would all be similar, but they aren't. PS Rune owns!!!!

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
Sir_Brizz said:
As for the veriety, try playing Rune. It seems like the weapons would all be similar, but they aren't. PS Rune owns!!!!

indeed...thats what im trying to model this mod after...although there are classes and real magic in this one....not powerups like "bloodlust"... :D

HarvesterUT

beat me with a stick
Oct 28, 2002
Texas
what do you guys think about calling the mod:

"Medieval"

thats it...just medieval....kinda simple...but i like it

btw Doc_EDo...i could really use a coder for the mod. if you would like to help please tell me so we can chat some over IRC and i can give you all the design doc's and we can discuss the coding and gameplay elements.

i know i dont have animations yet, but we can still get much accomplished using dummy packages and other things.

Medieval Website

thanks

HarvesterUT

Last edited:

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
on paper it doesn't sound to bad, but ingame you'll get a whole variety of problems, being mellee against mellee one of them as you have adressed.
Especially since you've got crossbows in the game aswell, people with a ranged attack weapon will simply pwn, especially against someone with a blade/dagger, who will basically run around like a chicken without a head, trying to avoid them crossbows.
I wouldn't mix this with a ctf typelike gameplay, a domination gameplay would be far better imo.

I think if you concentraded on just one gametype you'd have a much better result, but thats just my opinion.

Mychaeel

TTRStryker8 said:
Especially since you've got crossbows in the game aswell, people with a ranged attack weapon will simply pwn, especially against someone with a blade/dagger, who will basically run around like a chicken without a head, trying to avoid them crossbows.

I suppose that is why crossbows should only have limited ammo and take a good time to reload (which, for that matter, would even be rather "realistic").

I think if you concentraded on just one gametype you'd have a much better result, but thats just my opinion.

I have to agree to that.

Then again, since this is more or less a weapons mod, why make it a game type at all? Make it a mutator and let everybody use it with his or her favorite game type at no extra expense at all.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
I suppose that is why crossbows should only have limited ammo and take a good time to reload (which, for that matter, would even be rather "realistic").
Well then that guy would just run away untill the reload is finished, to compensate you'd have to make the blade/dagger guy run faster, though i'm still doubting thats realistic aswell. (don't know if a two handed swords is heavier than a crossbow actually)