Lots of packet loss! Help me!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[UJE]Crakdeala

doGlike
Sep 14, 2000
Alcatraz
oblivion.jamempire.com
Hey all,

Packet loss is really bothering me at the moment, and I wonder if there is something I could do myself to make it a little better?

Officially my connection is called E1, I believe. It is a 10 mb LAN, using cablemodem technology, connected to the net with a 2mb line. Not bad you'd say :)... well... I share those 250 kb/s (well 2 x 250 kb/s) with about 200-250 ppl :( I dont know why, but browsing, ftp... never a problem, nice speeds. But in UT it gets real bad at times.

At peaks, which are VERY rare... i have ping 80, 0 % loss
Average: 120 - 200, 0 - 10 % loss (very unstable)
Worst: ping still 150-200, but >10 % loss... a couple of times a week.

I suspect its just because the LAN gets crowded. But to be sure, here's my question: is there something i can do to make this situation better? For example, make the ping a little higher but get rid of the packet loss?

I'd really appreciate your input... :))

Crakie

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
All you have to do is send me a list of the names and addresses of the people who are sharing your bandwidth and I'll take care of the rest. If anybody asks we never had this little conversation.

Lady_Ruiner

May 24, 2000
Visit site
Same problem

We have the same problem with pl, though ours will jump to 80% at times with a very low ping. I have tried changing my net speed and all. It doesnt help. I also have a cable modem and I am waiting on my DSL modem to arrive in the mail, so I can throw this piece of **** out the door. I did trace routes on some of the servers we play on and it turns out that its my isp that has the problem. Go figure. I dont know what else to tell you, but good luck, or throw away the cable...---LR out

Message to all: NEVER BUY A GATEWAY PC!!!

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Packet loss

I'd suggest opening up the Unreal Tournament.ini file in the system folder. Look for the [Engine.player] section and play with the settings for the Lan speed. You might be able to manage a better flow with that. Try dropping it down to 10,000 or even 5000. You never know what might end up working better for you.

Luck to you,

AmigaOne