DirectX 8.0... WARNING!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[OF]EASY_Target

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
I installed DX8.. it really messed up everything..

..neither UT and Unreal wouldn't install or run.. it was a real hassle uninstalling it back to version DirectX7.0a...

Be carefull .. this DX8 (Beta version) may be a dog!

BTW.. I have a Voodoo3-3000 with 192 MB ram

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
As much as "finished" versions of microsoft stuff crashes I would never EEEEVER (Jericho voice) use a beta version of their stuff.

My god, imagine a beta/unfinished version of win95/98... "error, you doubleclicked too fast" WTF?

[OF]EASY_Target

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
Has any one here installed windows ME.. I read some mixed reports on its stability..etc.. I was going to install it but perhaps i will stay with windows 98..

*sigh*

How the hell did B.Gataes ever become so rich selling such crap?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The word on WinME seems to be if you have 95/98 now...stick with it. Upgrading to ME seems to be causing problems. A clean install on a new computer seems to work real well...but DO NOT UPGRADE.

ShinyObject

You're making me blush.
Jun 14, 2000
Ohio
I have WindowsME on my MP3/emulator/DivX server that is connected to my TV. I upgraded from 98SE. I use it pretty frequently, but only for those three things. It hasn't folded at all yet even with 32 megs of RAM. I haven't seen any advantages to upgrading either though.

This probally won't help you, but at least you can take it into account for future references.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I LOVE WindowsMe..

Yeah, I liked Win2K better for stability and control - but since I wanna play games and know everything's gonna work fine, I had to go with WinMe.

I upgraded, had no problems at all.

But when I got my new 20.5GB ATA66 drive, I figured I might as well start fresh.

So far so great. :D

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
You guys are only having problems with beta stuff from MS? Damn, I installed IE 5.5 beta, which screwed my system totally, so I uninstalled, formatted, reinstalled everything.
Then when the Full IE 5.5 came out, I thought I'd give it a try too. Same problems, mostly h/d swapping actually, but way too annoying for a full product!

I also tried WinME (of course not a retail one as it's not out till Sept?), and I thought it was ok. But the same problems happened with my h/d. I figured the only thing it could be is the IE 5.5 version. But didn't MS also include Dx8 with ME?

I'm just not too sure that I trust anything they put out recently. I've gone through 2 IntelliEye mice in the past 3 months too:(

Now I'm back to my old version of Winblows and IE 5.0, and things are back to a good state;) No more MS upgrades for me.

THC

[OF]EASY_Target

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
Just for the record.. as far as I know there is no way of uninstalling DirectX.. all the traditional methods are not there or available to us.. it figures!
.. only MS would put out a product that can't be un-installed.
What unmitigated arrogance on the part of MS!

Anyways.. I did manage FINALLY to un-install DirectX
I went to the (Regedit) Registry and deleted all references of folders and files that were affected..
:)
... used the Find feature and entered "directx".

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
hmmm

call me crazy but arnt microsoft final releases usualy betas to?