UE3 - UT3 UT Mateials on 3DSMax models?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nogert

Sep 23, 2009
Hi for my final college project I'm making an unreal tournament map, at the moment, I'm creating my models in 3dsmax, without textures as I planned to texture them using the unreal tournament materials.

My question is, is when I import my models into unreal tournament, will I have issues will textures not appearing properly because of the toploogy of my models?

If so must I texture inside 3ds max first? And then bring it in?

And final if that is also 'so' :p do I also need to pre light my models in max, showing the shadows in the corners, or will this be done in Unreal?

So yeah, a lot of questions, but one answer seems to sprout of another two questions, so it's hard to get to the bottom of it lol.

SpectreRose

Sep 15, 2004
Okay, I'll try to address these things as best as I can.

First, since you say you're using textures already provided by the game, that will just save a little time in importing a texture. As for your model in Max, I would recommend you export the texture you want to use and import that texture into Max. You will want to unwrap the UVWs and map those vertices out across your texture in Max. This UVW data should transfer over to UnrealEd.

Prelighting? Do you mean like specularity, or like adding a light to your scene in Max and exporting the light with your model?

If you mean specularity, I'm assuming that since you mentioned using the game textures, you should be able to use the specular maps provided.

If you mean adding a light, I wouldn't bother. Lighting is one of those things that the Unreal Engine handles rather well.