Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I'm at work right now, but I'll post some shots later tonight.

You should see distinctive cracks in the ground using Diehards Hi-End package when playing CTF- Face.

Edit: I do have UT installed on this laptop I use at work. I just checked the Editor and it's verified that the ground texture in CTF-Face does come from the UTtech1.utx package.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Solved!!
XbpFX.utx was low res (got replaced during textures copy from CD1), so I'm using CD2 version of that and now earth is high-res again :D

Diehard

Actually i am a bit puzzled whats going on there. When i look into the editor it uses UTdirt1 from the UTtech1 package.

The project originates from the Unreal URProject. And i made several soil textures in mainly GenEarth and GenTerra. All present S3TC soil textures were re-used from the Unreal project.

For this release i updated several UT specific packages, but i didnt add any soil.

The thing is this, CTF-Face is using the UTdirt1 from the UTtech1 package(And i checked that in the editor), and that texture was never S3TC, nor in the textures from the 2nd CD nor from the UTRPproject.

However when i play the map, it does give me a high resolution S3TC texture, which should be impossible lol. I do recognise the texture as being made by me, except that i cant pinpoint which texture it is due to the lighting which re-colors it.

I guess the only conclusion could be, the map should have a low res soil, and if it shows High Res your lucky :con:

I have absolutelly no clue what could be wrong or right here, no clue, its just plain weird.

Diehard

Solved!!
XbpFX.utx was low res (got replaced during textures copy from CD1), so I'm using CD2 version of that and now earth is high-res again

You are now talking about Earth as in the planet ? Lol, it still doesnt solve the mystery as i described above. But i have to have a look at that too than, i dont recall from the spot that that package did contain S3TC textures.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Excellent, I won't need to post the screenies from Face then. But, I may post some comparison screenies later on illustrating the improvements in the GenEarth.utx package. It looks killer.

EDIT: My bad Raynor, I thought all this time you were talking about the dirt texture on the ground instead of the Earth in the sky. Duh !!

Last edited:

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
I have no XbpFX.utx file and the ground is hi-res, here. Maybe I misunderstand something.

The moon looks great, Diehard, but looks as if there's little black square around it now. You think my renderer is doing that whatever it is?

It's been a long time since I played Face, so I have to ask my friend if the planet in Face was made larger than it used to be...? Anyway, this is a big change from ho-hum Face. Very nice looking now, Diehard, thank you very much.

/ah ok it is the planet this is about?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Currently most sure thing to do IMO is still install CD2 textures and then replace them with UTRP textures so what's higher resolution gets updated and what's not will be CD2 S3TC.

Last edited:

Diehard

EDIT: My bad Raynor, I thought all this time you were talking about the dirt texture on the ground instead of the Earth in the sky. Duh !!

Well yeah, me, but its still a mystery, its impossible the soil is S3TC, but it is.

I will work on the update, though it migh be impossible to update the package. The package does contain procedural textures, and on occasion it wrecks the S3TC counterpart at random. I can only tell after i run the Mergertool over them............

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
I will work on the update, though it migh be impossible to update the package. The package does contain procedural textures, and on occasion it wrecks the S3TC counterpart at random. I can only tell after i run the Mergertool over them............

It looks great please be gentle running over it !!

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
More high-res UT pr0n :p

Attachments

• Coret1.jpg
    Coret1.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Morpheus1.jpg
    Morpheus1.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Zeto1.jpg
    Zeto1.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Gothic1.jpg
    Gothic1.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 49
  • LavaGiant1.jpg
    LavaGiant1.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 51

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
One screen capture to compare. There seems to be a biig difference in brightness between our two systems. This is not edited in any way, but for cropping to get a similar aspect ratio.

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot0033im2.jpg

This is the same brightness I see in-game. I have a 1950 Pro with 8.7 drivers, using d3d8. brightness = 0.900000.

[D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NumAASamples=6
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
FrameRateLimit=150
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

If anyone can tell me how to make it look it's best with this information please let me know? These changes are really exciting. :)

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
I'm using brightness 0.4. Yours looks way too bright to me, but here's my video settings to compare.

[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=6
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=150
SwapInterval=0
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=75
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=Radeon X1950 Pro
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

Diehard

Well, been working on it all day, and kinda have bad news.

There is oné precedural texture that will chrash your game entirelly if you use the package. For some unknown reason this happens if a precedural texture is present in a package. On two other occassions i had to withdraw packages that contains new updates:

- HubEffect
- TCrystal

Those packages were upgraded but gave a similar error :(

On this page you can see the updated textures and the downloads(at the very bottom):

XbpFX NonGroup

And accidentelly its the procedural texture you can see on top of the list: blueplasma

If you use the S3TC package and that specific texture is in a map, your game will chrash to your desktop with follow error:

---------------------------
Critical Error
Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 -1464432768 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- -1464432768*1 <- UTexture::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (IceTexture XbpFX.blueplasma 2429735==2429735/25042376 25040555 115) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Engine.Level None.MyLevel DM-Deck16][Test.unr) <- LoadLevel <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
OK

You can use the package, but at your own risk. I have no idea how often the texture is used in maps around, and maybe its a very rare texture.

Therefore its DISADVICED using it !

And if you decide to use it after all, than remember this error can occur, and if you play a match, you better replace the texture upfront a match with a proper one !

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Sorry about that Diehard. What about the UT.utx package. Have you thought about maybe giving that one a going over?

Anyway, I have some some screenies that feature the GenEarth.utx package.

This first one is just using the standard regular textures. It blends OK, but it is kind of bland without detail.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.brdempsey69.com/shot1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

This second screenshot uses the 2nd CD textures, but the path texture was never updated and it doesn't blend with updated ground texture and looks like crap.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.brdempsey69.com/shot2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

The 3rd screenie uses Diehards UTRP GenEarth.utx package and it blends perfectly and looks a lot more realistic and detailed.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.brdempsey69.com/shot3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Oh dear, Face and Phobos have never looked so gorgeus before...

Attachments

• FacingWorlds1.jpg
    FacingWorlds1.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 48
  • PhobosMoon1.jpg
    PhobosMoon1.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 40
  • PhobosMoon2.jpg
    PhobosMoon2.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 42

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I'll tell you what, I'm going to download the XbpFX pack and whatever map crashes, I'll fix the son of a b1tch and give it different name.

EDIT: And I did, the map was DOM-MetalDream and it was part of the sky box. Changed it to a ShaneSky texture, scaled it down, rebuilt it, saved it as DOM-MetalDream][ and all is well.

Last edited:

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
hm. Maybe my monitor brightness setting is a little lower. I see that my GammaCorrectScreenshots is true whereas your setting says false. I also see now that you have the same hairline cross on the moon in Phobos, which calmed my nerves a little. Overall, this is amazing. Incredible. A fantastic work. I can't express my delight with just words! Again, Diehard, I want to say THANK YOU for loving Unreal. :)