Share Your Old Hardware

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Anyone know what to do with a 600 mHz Celeron PC? I have an old eMachine I'm looking to ditch. Came with Windows ME, and the Live CD for Ubuntu 8.10 ran fine so I assume it'll work with that distro. System has been upgraded to 192 MB RAM with an 80 GB IDE HDD.

Take it to pieces that you can use as spares in emergencies?

Use it as a sever for home or something along those lines (useful if you have plenty of computers but only one printer)?

Use it as a secondary PC (for emergencies again)?

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I already have a decent laptop so there's no real reason to retain it as a secondary PC. Print server was considered, but I would rather have something the size of a Shuttle for that job (apartment space is limited and the printer still doesn't have a good home yet). Also, I know you can get standalone networking kits from HP so sharing the printer is not really an issue, especially since I don't do a ton of printing these days.

Primarily I'm trying to drop down to my PC and laptop and get rid of any extraneous hardware that I've accumulated since starting college which I don't have a need for now that I'm in "the real world". This computer is the first one to go until I come up with a decent arrangement for my desktop to be used on either my monitor or my small HDTV which is in the same room. Once that's done I'll be getting rid of my DIY "media center" as well.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I've got 2 or 3 old soundblasters if anyone wants them. 2 were pulled from old P4 Dells and the other one I'm not sure, but they're all usable.

Reddrag0n

Sep 25, 2015
I have a dell tower with XP and a 64bit chip in it.
Looks to be a duel core.
Not many xp's with a 64bit cpu.
This work very well because I use to use it and my wife used it for awhile.
Looking for a really god vid card. that will run good with my 8 core cpu.
end