[UT] Making Music 1: MP3s to UMX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Making Music 1: MP3s to UMX

Here it is. I highly recommend not doing this but rather making a music module.
Since this has been asked many, many times before I might as well...
-I've uploaded some reference pictures for ModPlug that go along with this, use them if you need a visualization. Here is where the pix are located. (link removed 3/14/04) BU ate the pix durring a forum crash.
-------------------------------------------------
Simple:
Convert the MP3 into wav. Open the wav in a tracker. Add the sample into the patterns. Save the file as .it (or any other valid extension). Open UEd and open the music browser. Import the file you just made. Now click save and viola!

Detailed: (added ref-pix: 12/22/01)
Convert the mp3 into no greater than 24Khz 8bit mono wav, the lower the quality the smaller the file (better). In the tracker load the wav file as a instrument. Add the sample into the patterens twice. Default frequency is C5. Next to them set the tempo (t) to 01 and the speed (a) to 00 (edit: set it to 7F instead, sorry:( ) (ref pic 1). Save the file as .it.
Listen to it now. You are listening to check the loop. If the song loops before or way after it has finished you will need to edit the patterens.
Loops before it finishes: Add another blank pattern. repeat last step.
Loops way after song is finished: right-click on the pattern number and select properties. decrease the number of rows (ref pic 2). Do this until the song loops at the point you want it to.
Save again.
Open UEd and open the music browser. Import your .it file. Listen to it again to double check, then save.

-In some cases another step may be required.
If the song does not loop in unreal go back into your tracker.
Loop the sample: ie in ModPlug click the samples tab and select the sample being used. There is bitrate information displayed next to the sample number. It also shows whether the sample is stereo (it should never be) or mono and the length. Take the length and put that number into the Loop/End field. Make sure start says 0 and Type is set to On. (ref pic 3)If you need to edit the loop (if it loops after it should run your mouse over the data (sample) you will see numbers at the bottom rght of the screen (Cursor: ##). Drag it to the desired point, take the number it gives you and enter that into the end box.
If it loops before the beat is over and you have set the end point correctly there's nothing you can do except obtain a new sample (longer than the one you were using).Listen to the song again, fix any errors that may have popped up. After you are completely satisfied (if you are using ModPlug) click Edit\Cleanup\Cleanup Song. It will remove any unused data, patterns and any data after the loop point (so you can pick a sample that has ~30sec extra and not worry about not using it, as long as you have the begginning set right). Save
...back into UEd.

Congrats, you are now finished(?)
-------------------------------------------
if you have any problems or if I'm missing anything just post em

Last edited:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Look out though, even at a fairly low quality, a, say, 5 minute WAV file is going to be pretty big in file size.

It's also more trouble than it's worth, IMO. If you can find a decent .it file, use that. You get good music (even if it isn't your fave band) without the huge file size.

Although I'm not stopping ya. If you wanna listen to famous tunes whilst fraggin', go ahead! :)

PS. Thanks for giving out the info, zynth. I've lost count of how many times I've been asked how to do this :)

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
You push play and listen to it:p

I've updated the first post, that help any?

gah! couldn't replace the attachment in the first post and ended up deleting it:(
well here it is

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Simple method

1. Convert the MP3 file to WAV. (WinAMP can do this.)
2. Start ModPlug Player and open the WAV file.
3. Use Save As and select S3M or IT.
4. Use UnrealEd to convert the file saved in (3) to UMX.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
the final result is the size of the wav file. Depending on what type of bitrate (16/8bit 44.1-whatever kHz) that's what it will be.
If the sample is 3.45mb then the umx will be ~3.46mb

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
catch me ~1-2pm (est) tomorrow*. I have to work 3-12am and I probably wont be online after that.
*that is if my roommate isn't playing with his new toy (this comp;))

[DecoY]

Phat out of hell
Nov 6, 2001
MIA: please find me
Re: Simple method

Originally posted by Wormbo
1. Convert the MP3 file to WAV. (WinAMP can do this.)
2. Start ModPlug Player and open the WAV file.
3. Use Save As and select S3M or IT.
4. Use UnrealEd to convert the file saved in (3) to UMX.

I've tried adding a wav file longer then 5min to modplug, but then My computer just crashes...

[DecoY]

Phat out of hell
Nov 6, 2001
MIA: please find me
Or even better, who can make a program that converts MP3 into UMX?
That would be handy...
If someone can or has, please contact me...
IRC: irc.quakenet.org #unrealed

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Originally posted by PeaceKeeper
Or even better, who can make a program that converts MP3 into UMX?
That would be handy...
If someone can or has, please contact me...
IRC: irc.quakenet.org #unrealed
not possible.
mp3 is a stream or one continuous compressed wav.
umx is a simple file conversion of a module with a header attached for reference purposes
a module is a midi-like music file that plays many wavs at one time in seperate channels.
Lets just say if you were to extract all the wavs for a 5 min module the total size could be as low as 300kb whereas uncompressing a 5min mp3 would be ~30mb
If you've ever used fruityloops your going in the wrong direction. modules cannot be made by sequencers.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
First select the Nullsoft Disk Writer output plugin and select a directory. Then load all the files you want to convert into the playlist and disable shuffle and repeat. Double-click the first title in the list and wait until all files have been converted.
The files will be named like they show up in the playlist, double files will be overwritten without any warning.