Free UT2K4 figures - Gorge and Damarus

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
17, because it would be period correct (and the mesh textures look a lot better). Although my son voted for CTF-1on1Joust and center it around a flag base defense so it looks like we will be debating this tonight. Damn I love geeking out :lol:

We built a really nice motte-and-bailey castle last year that turned out good enough that his school wanted to keep it. I'm looking forward to doing a set piece for this because the scale is larger and so the detail can increase. I'll be sure to send you pics as we get started.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm not familiar with building polysplines but I'd love to learn. :) Thanks gopostal!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
It's pretty simple stuff Brizz. Non-articulating sockets use a plastic rod to join the two pieces. Find a plastic rod that's about the stiffness of a glue stick and then lathe it to the proper dimension of the receiving socket. Carefully drill out the other side (start small, work upwards in bit size) if you can't get the other side out. Often one side is glued at the factory so you have to drill it. Don't glue anything because you want to be able to move stuff around, and also temperature changes can affect the joint if it has no room to expand/contract. You'll see what needs done. The only difficult part I saw was a broken foot ball joint but there are many tuts online that will help you deal with this.
It all sounds really geeky but broken/damaged figures and models can often be fixed easily and can be bought very cheaply. I made a small garrison for the castle out of castoff game parts from Craigslist and Ebay with very little financial investment.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Thanks gopostal. I got the figurine today. Are there any videos that show what types of methods work best?

It looks like the right foot joint is completely broken off and a piece of it is stuck inside the foot, the left foot joint is separated from the foot. I'm not sure if that is normal or not (the joint doesn't appear to be broken at all but it doesn't "click" together just slides on), the right hip joint is broken off completely, the ball is still stuck inside the right leg, and the right elbow is separated. The elbow looks like it was pulled apart as there are no breaks in the joint just a slight bend in the side of the forearm joint.

Everything else looks good. The condition other than the breaks is actually really excellent. If I can get this put back together it will make a nice addition to my (relatively small) figurine collection :)

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You can google stuff but it's like restoring most any old stuff: a lot of trial and error. That's why you don't use glue and don't force dry fittings.

I wish I had taken more time to look Damarus over. That one foot break will be the toughie to fix. If it were me I'd get a small screw and set it in that ball enough to get it out. Once you see what you are dealing with then you can decide if going at some plastic stock with a dremel is on your agenda. If you aren't worried about articulation then just plastic rod everything like I mentioned before. Ball joints can be hard to fix right so it depends how much time you want to play with this. Overall though the model looked really good, better than Gorge in fact. It would be worth it to try some resto on him (it?). Even if you pose him and that's the way he stays then so what. He looks good like that too.

Oh and lastly:
domina.jpg

She came in while Damarus was in transit. Ambershee if you are still following this thread then let me know. She wants to visit the UK ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Have you ever put steel rod in the resin? Someone mentioned to me that you can get a 1/32" steel reinforcement from a hobby shop, dremel the middle of the resin out and glue the bar in. Too much risk to damage? Also, what do you recommend for the hip? The same sort of thing? The ball is really jammed in the leg. It is extremely hard to even get it to shift around in the socket.

On the foot, do you think I should take the ball out of the ankle or the piece out of the foot?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Brizz- that's how I do it. I usually use chopped up paperclips because they're cheap, and I always use a modelers hand drill rather than a Dremel. It shouldn't do any real damage, but make sure it lines up properly!

She came in while Damarus was in transit. Ambershee if you are still following this thread then let me know. She wants to visit the UK ;)

OMG, yes please :eek:

I'll PM you my details.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Yeah the dremel works for rough shaping the plastic stock that you'll use on the joint but it's too much for direct work on the model. Here's a couple of things that I've found out too over the years of messing things up. First, use your wife's emery boards for fine shaping. Sandpaper, even very fine grit, clogs pretty fast. A steel emery will let you tap it off as much as you need. Also remember you are working with plastics so don't use any sort of petroleum based chemicals to ease the removal of stuck parts. This includes vaseline, WD-40, stuff like that. A couple drops of Dawn does just as good and rinses cleanly after.

I've never used steel rods but I can see how it would work nicely on these. They are fairly beefy and tall so it might be called for. You really need to tease out the stuck balls and start with a clean model if it's at all possible. Once you see how the joints work then you can decide how to proceed.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Ambershee, I apologize that you have not heard from me about the Domina figurine.

As we were discussing this I found out I have cancer pretty badly. I'm just now home about a week from major neck and throat surgery and I hope to get mobile shortly. I didn't want you to think I had shined you on this, it's just that my world went really damn upside-down and I had to focus on making some hard decisions. I haven't forgotten you and I appreciate you having the patience to wait until you heard from me. Give me a few more days until my neck heals enough to go to the post office. Right now it's just too raw and painful (hell of a scar man, it's incredible) so I take a lot of narcs to keep it under control.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I must admit, I'd been wondering whatever happened to it the other week. Sorry to hear about this though, cancer really sucks. Thankfully these days it's usually pretty easily beaten so long as you stick it out :)

I've actually left my job at Lionhead now and starting contracting for Epic. I'll throw you over a new address. There's no rush though, don't put yourself out on my account ;)

You have no idea how much I appreciate it though!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
This is really me:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004648950951
If you look at the photos you'll see what they had to do, and that probably is as good an excuse as any for my tardiness ;)

I have my first radiation treatment later today as well as a periodontist to try to save my teeth so It'll be at least tomorrow before I can ship her. I'll get it done though early this week before I get sick again from rads.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Apologies for a necro-bump but I just finished my collection today. I found the yellow repaint one finally (it came with the flak too, Bonus!):
IMG_20140806_122829_633_zps4a418985.jpg

If you scan this thread Brizz did you ever do any good with restoring the broken one? If you never did anything with it I'll swap you a new one for it. I'd like to take a stab at doing it if you don't.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Apologies for a necro-bump but I just finished my collection today. I found the yellow repaint one finally (it came with the flak too, Bonus!):
IMG_20140806_122829_633_zps4a418985.jpg

If you scan this thread Brizz did you ever do any good with restoring the broken one? If you never did anything with it I'll swap you a new one for it. I'd like to take a stab at doing it if you don't.
I haven't but I have all the pieces around. IF you want to trade I'm cool with that. Does yours have a shock?