SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
BeMyMonkey said:
The thing you have to remember is that in UT99 ALL the weapons were ridiculously overpowered, not just the sniper rifle...
Er... no they weren't. PErhasp you could say that if you were comparing them to 2k4 weapons, but definitely not if you compare them to each other. The Minigun and the Sniper both had huge advantages over all the other guns. The only time you say people using goo/flak/rox/ripper was at close range and often when they didn't have anything else to use.

That said, though, there were certain people that were really good with thoe weapons and evasive maneuvers that did quite well for themselves never using the Sniper.

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
Sir_Brizz said:
Er... no they weren't. PErhasp you could say that if you were comparing them to 2k4 weapons, but definitely not if you compare them to each other. The Minigun and the Sniper both had huge advantages over all the other guns. The only time you say people using goo/flak/rox/ripper was at close range and often when they didn't have anything else to use.

That said, though, there were certain people that were really good with thoe weapons and evasive maneuvers that did quite well for themselves never using the Sniper.

Really? I never played online, so I wouldn't know that well... All I remember is I had a blast in that game because most of the weapons were so damn powerful... flakking someone from close range was absolutely devastating as were the rockets iirc... :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
BeMyMonkey said:
Really? I never played online, so I wouldn't know that well... All I remember is I had a blast in that game because most of the weapons were so damn powerful... flakking someone from close range was absolutely devastating as were the rockets iirc... :D
I mostly played offline as well, and yes against bots all of the weapons were devastating :)

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
HardcorexxX said:
What about a gun that's damage deteriates over distance

Keep the LG just make it scale from 120 HS 70 Close range 55 Long range??

Or something like it
No, because then it would pwn everything in low range.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
...how is 70 damage at short range single shot going to beat out 140 damage flak cannon firing twice as fast?

Besides isnt it listed on Epics site that basicaly we'll be getting some sort of replacement for the LG/SR? I have faith they'll find an effective solution, if you're going to have giant ONS like maps Epic will provide us with some sort of long range option

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
HardcorexxX said:
...how is 70 damage at short range single shot going to beat out 140 damage flak cannon firing twice as fast?

Besides isnt it listed on Epics site that basicaly we'll be getting some sort of replacement for the LG/SR? I have faith they'll find an effective solution, if you're going to have giant ONS like maps Epic will provide us with some sort of long range option

Flak is a projectile. LG is hitscan.
Flak can only be used at close range, LG can and is used for both maximum and melee range.

Giving the LG 50 or 95 damage really wouldn't be as huge a difference as it sounds like. When you play against someone with an 80% hit ratio, it all just comes down to "2 shots".

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
When Ut2003 came out, we all thought the LG sucked because all we had to compare it with was the UTSniper. Now that the 'Classic Sniper' came out, we had something to compare it to, and we hated the new sniper.

PREDICTION:
When UT2007 comes, we will all hate the new sniper because of our current love with the LG (like we used to hate the LG because we loved the UTSR). Epic will listen to us (like they did to make the 'Classic Sniper') and decide to create the 'Classic' Lightning gun for their next UT game. It will somehow suck and be underpowered, so we will look back and see how much be loved the UT2007 sniper, and how the LG was overpowered with 70 damage (like we now think the UTSniper was overpowered), and when the UE4 UT game comes, the cycle will repeat! 8p

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
I think while alot of people would like to keep the LG for all the wonderful corpse twiching head poping goodness, it really wont blend well with 2007...at least it seems, you can surley expect some mutators for the weapons which solves all you "for fun" player's problem out there anyway.

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
HardcorexxX said:
I misread and thought that the 120 damage thing was close range, not headshot. Sorry.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
LoL, I say that because it accounts for most of my damage, and I don't even conciously use it.

I'm used to dealing with it in other peoples hands, and I'm not bitching. Just making a statement ;)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Selerox said:
In a word? Yes :tup:

QFE

Not only is it a much cooler weapon, I like its balance better. The only change I would make (were it my decision) is correct the headshot detection.....nothing like shooting one of the taller models in the face and not getting a headshot, then shooting them in the neck and SHAZAM! headshot!