CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
On the topic of idiotic "rules":

Apparently using prone is an "exploit".

See, apparently real life soldiers can't fire accurately while prone. But don't worry, I already alerted the US Army as well as the USMC so that they can change their training regiment. They were VERY happy I called, and gladly made the world much more realistic.

Beyond that, it is great. I found three or four servers to play on. So far I am just sticking to TDM and FFA, but I need to read the manual soon to find out what other gametypes there are.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Kantham, what about Crash, Strike and Backlot? I love those maps.

I've never been on the servers you talk about. Probably some Canadian stuff :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You may not like it, but I think you're definitely in the minority. I find it to be refreshing and addictive.

Level design put me off. I don't want to play in levels build for 4 players.
As for you guys never seen the server rule thing, they probably are retarded Montreal servers. I think people in my region are silly gamers that ask too much "realism". Can I come live with you guys in the US please please?

And the P-90 is powerful yes, with perk steady aim and fast reload, it's hard to face that, especially since the P-90 seems to be really accurate, has a large magazine, and can stand good medium range damage. Every time I pick a P-90 on the ground I mostly go on a rampage.

If you guys are having fun with the game, please let me know what kind of server you guys play on, maps, and number of players because I'm hungry to know about it.

EDIT: Seriously, Am I the only one that gets serious issues with the server browser? Every time I connect to one I have to leave the game and wait at least 6 minutes before trying to do a refresh. What the hell is going on, it keeps telling me my key is in use, like if when I disconnect to a server my ID remain there for a while. If I refresh I only ping 1000+ servers.

The only problem I have is idiot kids on Xbox Live who think getting on top of a house is "glitching" when they plainly put dumpsters next to the wall that allow you to scale it. If they did not want people to go somewhere they would have just put clipping there. Stupid kid didn't even get my analogy when I said "I can go outside my house and get on the roof, why shouldn't I be able to in COD4?" The idiot said "You can't glitch in real life! fag!!" which made no sense whatsoever. Gee really?

Reminds me of GoW on the 360 where some idiot kid exploited Tyro Station getting out of the map with the Torque bow, I did the same to reach him by the other side, killed him with the Torque and he kicked me all upset kicked. Then send me a complementary "Fag" PM. I think I'll be on crack if I ever play GoW online again.

Xbox 360 is for idiots mainly (No offense), the best community I found yes has to be TF2 overall, kids tend to stay on consoles because mom can't spend $1000 on a computer.

sounds like you just arent good at the game... *Facts*

I played shooters for years, and learned this game. I know how to play it.

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Yeah the server browser isn't that great, it breaks sometimes for whatever reason.

I personally like to play on <24 player TDM servers, on the medium-large size maps (not shipment, for example). Ambush and Downpour are probably my favourite maps. Normal rules.

The SDK and level editor were released recently btw. Google.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I only play TDM too, DM is the silly thing where you have to camp a location in order to not get headshoted. Man did I said I've seen "Omg must go outside sometimes" in this game? To the point that some guy was standing on a balcony, waiting there for someone to pass after the game has just started, using the Barrett .50Cal, I just passed by in this very tight angle he was in and Bang, headshot. I seen the Killcam and was like "Oh dear god..." That was extremely pathetic, especially for the fact that he started to hold his breath before I showed up, chances to miss on this one for a regular gamer is something like 89%.

Anyway, they don't have any "No gay maps server here" in my location, it's basically "Only gay maps server here". Maybe it's my ISP + location that makes the game terrible.

I know for the SDK I downloaded it last week.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I've been playing a lot of COD4 since day 1 pretty much. I've slacked off a bit on my playtime since I've been playing WoW with my friends, but I pretty much alternate my gaming time between the two. Unfortunately, I lost all my rank data when I had to reformat my hard drive, and for some reason it didn't see the system partition :(

I've never been on a server with retarded rules like that, and I know we at Factor VIII don't get all bitchy like that. We might make fun of you for noob tubing all the time, but we are pretty tolerant of stuff. Try out our server, we have a couple of Canadian players in our clan and they plan on there regularly (one of them is quite far north, too).

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Xbox 360 is for idiots mainly (No offense), the best community I found yes has to be TF2 overall, kids tend to stay on consoles because mom can't spend $1000 on a computer.

Yeah, if it were not for the party system on cod4 and playing with friends and people in your own age group, I don't think I'd be playing on XBL.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
I love COD4 MP, and play it on an almost daily basis.

I don't play it on the PC though, but on Xbox live. I'm in my 2nd Prestige mode, and really enjoy unlocking the weapons again. Fun stuff!

I actually don't mind Shipment or Wetworks. Although Shipment can be a madhouse of gunfire, airstrikes, and helicopters, it's a great map to get a ton of exp and kills on, regardless what your K/D ratio is. Headquarters and Domination on Shipment can be fun.

I can't share your frustration on servers - with Live you really don't have much of a choice what server you get put into.

-I_AM

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Seriously guys, the game isn't as good as some people pretend it to be.

Not entirely true.

You're speaking only of multiplayer which is NOT this games strong point as much as the developers like to believe it is.

The singleplayer campaign is still one of the single most fun and enjoyable experiences I've come across to date, especially for its genre; albeit being slightly short for my tastes. Compared to a more broad range of all basic FPSer's it falls just behind the more immersive experiences of Half Life, Deus Ex, and more recently Crysis. But for what it aims to be in its more explicit 'modern realism warfare' category it is the single best, by far.

As for my opinion of the MP aspect, it was a good idea with only decent execution. It's a cool concept, sure, the ability to turn the gameplay on its head as a FPS/RPG in the way you gain levels which allow you to unlock items and abilities. But in the end it does nothing to truly extend the replayability factor. After you get pretty far (I reach the P90 and burned out) it just feels like one big grind. Once you cap, you start over in this "Prestige Mode" crap where you lose your sh*t and just get a little star by your name for the number of times you've cap'd and replayed. This lets others know you're pretty good (or just need to get a life) but doesn't deliver once it's obtained.

For people who need to feel like they're the absolute undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, I guess it's ok. Personally, I found more replayability in the SP campaign (especially after unlocking the cluster bomb and slow-mo cheats) through trying different playstyles (sniper, assault, close quarters) than the quickly boring, grind-like, full of lamers MP.
Oh and the map selection is terrible, not to mention that many of the maps just downright suck.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh yeah the single player was sweet, I'd like to see some replayability system for it other than the same missions all over again (SOF II had a Random map generator). The sniper mission blowed me away just for the $50. What a ****ing awesome mission. Champ. :tup:

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Oh yeah the single player was sweet, I'd like to see some replayability system for it other than the same missions all over again (SOF II had a Random map generator). The sniper mission blowed me away just for the $50. What a ****ing awesome mission. Champ. :tup:

Here Here!

What they need to do is release an expansion of missions that have nothing to do with the plot or follow any logical order but that just deliver the high-action, tense missions of varying modern scenarios of the original storyline. I just want new scenery, everything else is perfect.

I am still able to replay the same SP missions now numerous times with much entertainment, but at this point it's Veteran difficulty or nothing. Just another 10-12 new missions would keep me entertained for months.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
Like I said in another thread: My only complaint about the SP was the lack of closure.

The final USMC mission was just ****ing epic. But you never really get a chance for vengeance. Like I said, just one level as Griggs would have let you feel like it wasn't just the SAS's show (and the Marines got caught in the crossfire).

Well, and my other complaint of forcing me to listen to the Griggs rap so that I can play Mile High Club :p

That being said, I am really starting to enjoy using the M60 in MP. Obviously not useful in the close quarters missions, but it is really useful for mid to long range. Yes, I snipe with an MG :p

Sidenote: Do the mod tools offer anything as far as new SP **** goes, or are we stuck waiting for CoD5?

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
The final USMC mission was just ****ing epic. But you never really get a chance for vengeance. Like I said, just one level as Griggs would have let you feel like it wasn't just the SAS's show (and the Marines got caught in the crossfire)

Well, wasn't it always the SAS's show? I thought that was the point. You started SAS and were at an SAS training site in the beginning, also the first ever mission was SAS onboard the ship. And at the end of the game the reporter says that a liner had mysteriously gone missing in the North Pacific (the SAS-assaulted ship). The epic flashback was also SAS.
With no US training camp or plot-driven mission I thought it was supposed to be just that, an SAS focused campaign with the US missions caught in the crossfire. Plus,
the US character you play as dies in a freakin' Nuke.
:lol:

I thought the "closure" was supposed to be when you
shot the Russian dude at the very end when Price slides you the pistol.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yeah single player was definitely one of the best I played last year (of all the "next gen" games). Had some very cool plot twists going on.

btw. did you guys ever see this video? Basically CoD4 took the entire AC130 mission from that video it seems. (They just changed the mosque to a church :p)
When I first played the AC130 mission (I had no clue there was going to be a mission like that - hadn't really read any reviews of the game) I couldn't believe my eyes... it was like playing that video.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
I dunno. Like I said, it would be nice if you just got to do something. Here is how it goes:

Marines die, being Marines (no man left behind, badassery before intelligence, etc).
SAS does what the SAS do (kill anything that moves)
SAS-Marine Joint Task Force is basically just the SAS with the token Black Guy (with an m249 :p)
Griggs gets captured and needs to be saved
Other Marines do nothig
SAS does everything.

It was a great game, but it would have been fun to just have the Marines getting a bit of closure/vengeance. Even if it is just running as a door-gunner or being Griggs when he wanders off with Price.

Maybe CoD3 changed the formula a bit, but I liked the previous concepts of "Multiple nations working together towards a common goal". In all honesty, the Marines feel like they were put in just so that it is still a CoD game.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Oh yeah the single player was sweet, I'd like to see some replayability system for it other than the same missions all over again (SOF II had a Random map generator).
I'm pretty sure that finishing the SP game unlocks at least one other mode. I think it's an arcad-ish mode that allows you to get big points for spectacular kills.

NubBlubber

Jan 29, 2008
Level design put me off. I don't want to play in levels build for 4 players.

some people like lots of players only the small map with cargo crates is rediculous, but thats a 1vs1 map. you say you been playing fps for years, don't join a server with a high maximum amount of players theres plenty o servers with 10 peep max

"And the P-90 is powerful yes, with perk steady aim and fast reload, it's hard to face that, especially since the P-90 seems to be really accurate, has a large magazine, and can stand good medium range damage. Every time I pick a P-90 on the ground I mostly go on a rampage."

i really doubt that rampage part based on a few things but its most likely just a good run not the weapon. its bullets do less damage then any other smg its no more accurate and reloads slow compensation for bigger clip. every gun is balanced

"If you guys are having fun with the game, please let me know what kind of server you guys play on, maps, and number of players because I'm hungry to know about it."

try playing search and destroy with a 10 peep maximum.

"EDIT: Seriously, Am I the only one that gets serious issues with the server browser? Every time I connect to one I have to leave the game and wait at least 6 minutes before trying to do a refresh. What the hell is going on, it keeps telling me my key is in use, like if when I disconnect to a server my ID remain there for a while. If I refresh I only ping 1000+ servers."

1000+ is usually enough to find a good game i too want to see all 15000 servers the problem is their server cant handle all the connects its more popular then they anticipated if you go the the official forums they actually will talk about fixing something instead of being scientology like about it

"I played shooters for years, and learned this game. I know how to play it."

you could play ut and quake for ten years and still suck at this game i admit im level 55 for some time and i am horrible at cod4 alot of times ill get first or do really well but as soon as someone with alot of cs experience joins im toast. can you post a screenshot of your rank page?

I'm pretty sure that finishing the SP game unlocks at least one other mode. I think it's an arcad-ish mode that allows you to get big points for spectacular kills.

he is right arcade mode is pretty fun anyone know a good site to compare arcade level scores?

Last edited: