single player help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wdreamsmaycome

Dec 28, 2005
I've gotten UT2004 only recently (my old PC could barely run ut2003 low everything so I waited until I upgraded) and I'm having a lot of fun with it, HOWEVER I am wondering if there is anything I can do to pass this level I'm on as it's driving me nuts.

I'm playing on skilled and I have absolutely no problems in 1vs1 or 2vs2, unfortunately the 3rd team qualifier is a 4vs4 and my bots are conspiring to make me lose: I'm always ahead by halftime (despite basically doing most of the killing myself) but then towards the end my bots decide to stand still and get nuked and the other team always wins 50-48, 50-46, etc. etc.

I have been stuck on this for nearly two weeks now, because due to the stupid credit system every time I lose I have to go back and replay the other maps, then replay them some more to "repair" my team, then replay them some more to get another entry fee and so on and on.

Why is it that despite the login screen of the match having my bot team with higher % than the "enemy" and despite me having usually the most frag in my team we never ever ever seem to be able to pass? I wish there was a way to edit the savegame from the outside to give myself 200000000 credits so I wouldn't have to keep replaying the lower level matches just to retry the one I'm stuck on.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Mhh to be honnest i never finished the single player thing. I just hate playing against bots since their aiming system is awfull. I don't know, try turning auto aim on and see if it works in 'campaign' mode.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Tell them all to "Search and Destroy." Bots act like idiots when they cover. They may still follow each other, but they will be doing just what the other bots are doing, and if they have the advantage they should do better. Your best bet is to follow them and be the smart one.

If you finally give up, type "killbots" in the console at the start and let time expire. Oddly enough killbots is not considered a cheat.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah, what nuttella said sounds like a decent idea, I guess. I, like Kantham, severely dislike playing with bots and never bothered to finish the single player campaign. Granted, I did try, but it gets to the point where even novice bots have transformed into godlike ones and it's impossible to win without a proper team of thinking humans playing along side. I never had trouble with the DM parts, but with the ladders where teamwork made or broke the day, I would lose every time because my team would let me down time and time again.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Get bots with good accuracy values and set the bots covering you on "search and destroy" in deathmatch

wdreamsmaycome

Dec 28, 2005
thanks, search and destroy helped a lot, given how many times the 2nd team caught up towards the end (enemy bots often go killing spree, my bots no way) I used killbots and FINALLY passed that stage.

thanks everybody for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Turns2Ashes said:
I never had trouble with the DM parts, but with the ladders where teamwork made or broke the day, I would lose every time because my team would let me down time and time again.

You're starting to sound like Dark Pulse :lol:

It's mostly a matter of giving the right orders, which is really simple: Attack! Never ever let them defend (except in AS of course.)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
wdreamsmaycome said:
thanks, search and destroy helped a lot, given how many times the 2nd team caught up towards the end (enemy bots often go killing spree, my bots no way) I used killbots and FINALLY passed that stage.

thanks everybody for your help :)

Welcome to the forums! :)

Try not to use the "killbots" command. The Single Player Campaign CAN be beaten, as many of us have done it. By taking the easy way out, you're robbing yourself of some very good training and experience. If you get stuck on a particular part (and there are many levels ahead of you much tougher than that one), simply try different tactics and strategies. You'll be amazed what you can learn.

Good luck!

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Renegade Retard said:
Welcome to the forums! :)

Try not to use the "killbots" command. The Single Player Campaign CAN be beaten, as many of us have done it. By taking the easy way out, you're robbing yourself of some very good training and experience. If you get stuck on a particular part (and there are many levels ahead of you much tougher than that one), simply try different tactics and strategies. You'll be amazed what you can learn.

Good luck!
As usual, Ren is right. Cheating won't give you any satisfaction for actually winning the game. These guys can be a drag rather than helpfull quite often, but with a few basic commands bound to keys you don't currently use, you can at least make sure they're doing something.

Go to Settings - Input - Speech binder, and bind one or more of the following:
"Attack"
"Hold this position"
"Cover me"
"Search and destroy"

Most people here will argue that the single player is only a fraction of the fun you can have with this game, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work. This game is meant to be played online, and in emergencies, you can always play any map you want in Instant Action. So don't keep trying until you're tired of the game alltogether :)

PS: the bots' intelligence is based upon your own strengths in the earlier levels, so they are set to play better than you, no matter what your skill level.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Renegade Retard said:
Added to sig. :D

:clap: :lol:

You never mentioned the level, wdreamsmaycome but if it's AS-Mothership you have my sympathies. That damn level nearly drove me to distraction and I lost thousands of credits because of it. But, listen to Ren's advice as it's really worth your while sticking with it ;)

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Remember, ALL proper bots (Colbalt, Jakob, Lauren etc.) while a lot more expensive to keep, are well worth it. Also a lot of Cats (custom models and skins, look at SkinCity, a good example is the Cats Remix Pack) can be used as team mates. Having a Cat at the start will serverly boost your team's skill, as they are usually near Godlike in skill. You may wind up with a whole crew of Cats by the end, that's how much they may help.

Another Skin that has Sp support is Bleodsion (JuggMaleA), allthough I'm not 100% sure he's a bot, but hey, at least you can be him.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
When playing SP-mode without any custom skins try to get some good ones via the Bloodrites (Lauren and as many Bloodfist teammembers as possible). That should do the trick. @ the end you can also recruit Malcom, Brock and Xan.
The first time I`ve beaten the game I had Malcolm, Brock, Lauren, Xan and Cobalt in my team.

It`s also a good idea to download (or make) some custom skins with good/godlike powers to have some advantages.
I created a team which I used for playing through the entire game (wualification TDM excluded - there can only be 1 or 2 efforted @beginning)

I agree with all others that cheating is not helping you having more fun with a game but there are some dirty tricks I figured out:

* BackUp all your original xplayers.upl(s) and open it via notepad. In it you can lower the skills of all (wanted) bots to make them cheaper.
Start the SP-ladder game. Before selecting your team, quit UT2k4 and copy your backuped files over your changed.
Reload your Ladder game and è voilá you can efford each bot you want - UT saves the csalaries in the SP-game! You can even make the bots pay you for beeing in your team!
Alternatively you can raise the skill of the bots you want to have for a godlike team and lower the skills of your adversaries

* You already know that "killbots" command, ofcourse you also know "addbots x" eg "addbots 7" - for 7 bots?
I use it for the first boring deathmatches to get the matches more exciting, eg 2 further bots in the first match make things more interesting.
Of course you can use the "addnamedbot" command to insert certain bots - eg "addnamedbot malcolm"

* In retailversion finals have at least 2 more frags than the "boss". When getting killed simply don`t respawn and wait for your victory - IMO a very dirty trick which doesn`t work any more after installing the latest patches

Be advised such tricks may ruin the game fun, it`s always better to reach things without cheating it just makes ppl feel happier IMO

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Also, Hide's KouRyuu army is SP compatible, with at least Tyrant and Popo being team mates, and all 3 being selctable for your character.

Note: Haven't seen if the TrueKouRyuu (extra upls, makes KouRyuu move and dodge like lightning, instead of standard Robot abilitys) is selectable as a team mate, if you want to try yourself find the KouRyuu review and it'll be attached to the main review.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Renegade Retard said:
I'll be right on that when these 50+ work weeks slow down. :p

I'll probably be here until at least 8 pm tonight. :(
You had me puzzled there for a second...I first thought you meant the BU forums with "here"...but then it dawned me you probably mean your job.