I'd like to understand what could "substitute" UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I thought Crysis had some of the most dynamic gameplay I've ever experienced in a single player fps... if you think the suit didn't change gameplay then you weren't using the suit properly. It played very little like Far Cry.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
That's a load of crap.
http://kotaku.com/351661/crysis-comeback-moves-1-million-copies
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/01/crysis-goes-platinum/

2 sources. I can find more but im lazy :p

It's not bias, I just don't like Crysis. I like plenty of other games, but I don't understand people who think Crysis is all that great. It's a terrible game. Use a better example like CoD4, I can get behind that.

CoD4 is not the best example. Sure its single player is by far the best I have experienced, but it doesnt even come close to touching the sheer openess of Crysis. There is points in CoD4 that I felt like exploring, but cant because theres magical "borders" preventing me from doing so. Hell Crysis has borders too, but done in a way that doesnt feel restricting. Go for a swim far in the ocean, get killed by a shark or blown up by a frigate. You can choose stealth, or Rambo like actions. Want to go up that moutain and bypass the village, go for it soldier. Yeah other games have demonstrated this sandbox way of gaming before, but Crysis just seems to do it slightly better.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I didn't say the game didn't go platinum, I said it didn't go platinum within a month. There is still no comment on whether or not that is units shipped or units sold, either.
CoD4 is not the best example. Sure its single player is by far the best I have experienced, but it doesnt even come close to touching the sheer openess of Crysis. There is points in CoD4 that I felt like exploring, but cant because theres magical "borders" preventing me from doing so. Hell Crysis has borders too, but done in a way that doesnt feel restricting. Go for a swim far in the ocean, get killed by a shark or blown up by a frigate. You can choose stealth, or Rambo like actions. Want to go up that moutain and bypass the village, go for it soldier. Yeah other games have demonstrated this sandbox way of gaming before, but Crysis just seems to do it slightly better.
I don't care about the openness of the game, I'm talking about how complete it is and how fun it is. There is no other explanation as to why CoD4's sales numbers blew both UT3 and Crysis out of the water (more than 4 times the sales of both).

I realize Crysis is showing off CryEngine2, but I can't see anything else in it. I think it's unfair to say someone was "using the suit wrong", I just played the game. The "exploration" parts felt like Far Cry. The gameplay pace and fglow felt like Far Cry. The AI felt like Far Cry. The story line felt like Far Cry. The only thing that changed in my view was the suit, and I didn't see that as an interesting or fun addition to the already somewhat boring gameplay of Far Cry.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
- Bioshock
- GRAW 2
- F.E.A.R. (Original PC version)
- Crysis
- STALKER
- Dark Sector
- Uncharted
- R6V2
- CoD4

I see UT3 as being significantly better than these games, or than what I've heard of these games, as the only one I've played is Bioshock. Bioshock was a good game, but it's not comparable to UT3 as it has relatively weak weapons, no deathmatch, and as I recall was slower.

I thought the only game in UT3's class is Quake, and Quake 4 has no bots and no flak cannon. Someone else mentioned a bunch of Quake-like games, like War§ow, but they aren't at the same level of graphical sophistication as UT3.

I guess the term "shooter" covers several different types of game, hence the difference of opinion, but where it makes sense to talk about UT3 it's not clear to me that there's a superior substitute. Of course there are games with better teamwork modes, better single player campaigns, and so on, but in the essentials for a carnage shooter it's at the top. It's not perfect, with network code issues, graphics glitches, model and aiming issues, the UI, and so forth, but I still prefer it to UT2K4, probably due to the graphics and increased lethality.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Anuban, are you sure you're not taking this off topic? As when UnrealGrrl talked about "other shooters", she clearly meant "other comparable shooters". Just because Bioshock is 1st person and with weapons as well doesn't mean it's comparable to UT3 in the slightest - and since we're talking about substitutes for UT, bringing other awesome but single player focused games like Bioshock or F.E.A.R. into the discussion doesn't help much bringing the discussion along.

Yes, we could stop looking for a substitute and digress into playing more other genres instead of "multiplayer-focused online shooter", like MMORPGS or single player shooters (both of which are equally far from the goal, one being multiplayer-focused and online, but not a shooter, the others being shooters, but not multiplayer-focused nor online), but it's not what the OP wanted, nor what the discussion was about before your post :)

Myself I'm a genre mixer anyway, guess I played WoW only for too long for narrowing my choice of games down to a single one for any prolonged period of time anymore. I also play TF2 a lot, UT3 whenever I can stand playing Suspense and Biohazard again (which is seldom I admit), and I'm looking forward to BF:Heroes and that Valve zombie game that I can't remember the name of.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Maybe because that's the genre we are discussing :)

Jumping back in time to respond to this. Why is it, though, that all of these alternative games are based off of Quake - and not UT? Virtually every other arena shooter out there has gameplay and movement systems ripped from Quake - why does no one copy UT?

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
Jumping back in time to respond to this. Why is it, though, that all of these alternative games are based off of Quake - and not UT? Virtually every other arena shooter out there has gameplay and movement systems ripped from Quake - why does no one copy UT?

Since Quake 3 movement system is much more rich and complex than UT's. In UT3 you have dodges, walljumps and if you want tricky things you can do some extremely hard bunnyhops (with no speed gain), but nothing else. In Qwaek games you have variable speeds (you can gain speed with strafejumping), you have some nice tricks to pull out on stairs and ramps, and so on. That's why Quake 3's Defrag maps (bunnytrack-like maps) are mostly based on movement, while UT BT maps are based mostly on obstacles and moving stuff.
Warsow took some elements from UT. There is a "special" button that acts like a dodge when pressed together with a directional key and that lets you perform a walljump (though different from UT's) when you're close to a wall.

I don't want to comment on Crysys, but I would just like to point out that
Anuban said:
- In Farcry you play a dude who is basically some regular joe ... in Crysis you are part of an elite paramilitary squad with the coolest special ops suit ever made

- Farcry you fight some mercenaries and some genetically created monsters ... Crysis you fight against Korean soldiers and aliens

- None of the weapons you saw in Farcry make an appearance in Crysis
are rather poor differences. Leaving away the suit powers, it's like saying that UT and UT3 plays TOTALLY different because in UT you are fighting Thunder Crash dudes while in UT3 you're fighting mostly Necris dudes (with different names too!), and because there isn't a Ripper and all the other weapons looks different.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
As for Crysis ... well not only do I think it is an excellent game with tons of ways to play (so much more creative and open then any UE3 shooter game on the market save maybe Bioshock or Mass Effect if you want to include RPGs) but so do the vast majority of the critics and an overwhelming amount of gamers based on both sales and user scores ... Crysis has remained in the top 10 on Gamespots forums since before it was released. Sales of over a million copies is damn good for any game but especially for a PC shooter. UT3 won't even come close to that number on the PC ... it doesn't matter how many other UT games they try to bundle it with to make it less expensive.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/931665.asp

So when I see that 38 recognized reviewers have given the game 90 or higher and not one single score out of 56 is less than an 80 I already know that other people who say it is isn't a good game are just pissed that Crysis kicked UT3s teeth in (and yes these two were the two most anticipated PC shooters of the year and one did well on that Platform and one did fair ... some would say it did poorly in comparison). And also folks who say it is nothing special and then say that UT3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread (or is better than Crysis) obviously don't know what they can do or maybe they don't know how to play this game in a creative way.

Im just gonna respond to this one little bit! I saw reviewers bias towards this game before it was even released with it getting more covers on magazines than UT3.

So before you quote numbers, review scores etc. You might appreciate that some people didnt like the game for their own reasons and not because someone else told them not to like it.

Its got nothing to do with creativity in the way you play otherwise I would be using that same statement for the reasons why you dont like UT3. Oh but UT3 doesnt allow for anything because its a linear game right?

I just wonder why people stick around here and say they dont like UT3 when they could be doing that over on the crysis forums. What keeps you coming back here if it isnt UT?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I love warsow and have been playing it for a decent time, I guess I first started a little more than a year ago, and since UT3 was fun but didn't offer the kind of play I was looking for (for example, playing in populated servers that weren't Biohazard, 32 players) I started playing more and recently.

One downside is that there is a large portion of the warsow players that are not really able to keep up with the game's speed and difficulty, and as such only play ica on funpark. While that certainly is fun, it really takes away from the game. About half the servers I see are running funpark-ica.

As for comparisons, I still think UT as a series is better than warsow in some areas. For instance, the movement in Warsow is pretty versatile, but most of it relies on strafejumping and bunnyhopping, thus requiring large open spaces or maps with paths consciously laid out to be bunnyhoppe through.
While you can make huge jumps and quick turns easily in warsow, it's only really versatile when it comes to large open spaces with some obstacles in it.
This opposes UT's movement that is very much focused around quick movement over short distances, making for much more intense CQC. (better ability to dodge on close range, other than rocketjumping and other 'tricks')
CQC in warsow is mainly spamming shotgun and laser gun at each other, which isn't really challenging because once you rob the other guy out of his speed, he can't go anywhere anymore fast.

Also, most warsow weapons are fairly bland compared to UT's.
In UT terms, Warsow weapons are:
-gunblade = impact hammer of sorts with nowhere near the (feeling of) power that the IH has.
-riotgun = boring, weak flak cannon without cool gib effects or *thump* effect.
-grenade launcher. Only really useful when someone is in mid-air or coming around a corner. No big boom, just a little *plink* hitsound and a tiny flash.
-rocket launcher with decreased damage and splash radius, faster than UT counterpart. Only single-rocket mode, so none of the triple-rox goodness.
-plasma gun = basically a link gun primary-only gun. Near useless outside 1on1, due to low fire rate and small hitboxes.
-laser gun = link gun secondary beam with insane damage and slightly longer range than UT. Also goes empty in about a second and a half on stock ammo.
Really easy to hit with due to low movement speed in CQC (which is really the only time you'd use this).
Electrobolt = a sort of sniper/shock rifle hybrid, without the coolness of combos.

All in all, I'd say UT's weapons are far more interesting. These are just balanced (mostly) and not really particularly fun. Most need a bit of boom thrown in before they start feeling like weapons instead of laser-tag toy guns.

Still though, warsow's dedicated community and higher speed (and the fact that I can strafejump while boatloads of players can not:lol:) definitely make it worth playing to me:)

edit: When UT3 was just released I was planning on porting one or more warsow maps to UT3 because of their nice designs. Now it seems I will be doing it the other way around :)

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I just wonder why people stick around here and say they dont like UT3 when they could be doing that over on the crysis forums. What keeps you coming back here if it isnt UT?

People like you Mons. ;) And btw recognizing the game has still has some issues that need resolution IS NOT the same thing as disliking the game. I don't recall saying that I dislike the game ... only certain elements of it. As for Crysis I don't have anything more to say about it.

I don't want to comment on Crysys, but I would just like to point out that are rather poor differences. Leaving away the suit powers, it's like saying that UT and UT3 plays TOTALLY different because in UT you are fighting Thunder Crash dudes while in UT3 you're fighting mostly Necris dudes (with different names too!), and because there isn't a Ripper and all the other weapons looks different.

WTH are you talking about? Poor differences ... what? The fact is they are major differences and I was using them to show how the two games are nothing alike ... NOTHING. Location is a BS standard to use to say that a game a basically the same as another one. So I pointed out some real differences in the game. What the heck does UT and UT3 have to do with what I am saying ... they are the same series ... they have the same basic weapons (looks different? Of course they look different, this is 8 years later ... the names are the same so you know you are playing another iteration of UT ... essentially the same game now with updated graphics and vehicles ... even the races and team names are the same with just minor changes) ... the theme is the same ... UT3 is the Third in the series, so I fail to see the point you are attempting to make.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
People like you Mons. ;) And btw recognizing the game has still has some issues that need resolution IS NOT the same thing as disliking the game. I don't recall saying that I dislike the game ... only certain elements of it. As for Crysis I don't have anything more to say about it.

Oh I just figured because you made two big posts on the topic as to why every other game on the market is better than UT3 that you didnt like it.

So while you say now there is some issues you would like to see resolved, that is stopping you from liking UT3 or using these other games as a substitue for UT. Which is actually what this topic is about btw.

I guess some people dont have a substitute for UT3, like me. Others do, just a damn shame they feel the need to shove their ideals down our throats every chance they get.

No I dont like Crisys either, I think its a boring piece of dog turd. The UI does nothing for me either, they could have spent thousands more manhours on the UI and I would still think the gameplay is more recycled garbage than UT3. Im not even going to start on AI in other games, Bioshock, Crisys (farcry), Halflife 2... All a load of **** compared to what the developers were saying and what I expected from them. Oh but its "cinematic" like I give a stale piece of dick cheese!

Anyways yeah offtopic but I just thought I should even up with alittle counter rant. Im just sick of people treating UT3 like a dartboard, Im not denying anything but think twice before trying to tell someone what their opinion is!

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I haven't tried power struggle in a while, but I got quite annoyed with the lack of weapon balancing in Crysis. It might be fixed now, but back at release, you could dominate a server by buying rocket launchers, noobtubing groups of people with them, and thus scoring enough money to buy 5 rocket launchers next turn.
Add to that the endless Gauss-rifle cloak-camping in bushes on top of a mountain, and you've got 3/4 of the server not contributing to the game in any way.

Might have changed, however.