BeyondUnreal ut2003 video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Technical Advisor?

DaBeatard said:
np on the dl.
TWD has asked some very good questions. What format/codec and size do the videos to be edited together get captured at? This definitely needs to be answered. Also, do we eliminate the hud and crosshairs etc for czpture?
More importantly, who is going to edit this together? That person should probably choose the format.
Also, if I decide to submit anything for this, it most likely will not be some crazy shot from a FragBU. I've seen enough 'trick shots' and 'trick jumps' to be bored to death with them. If I submit something it will be a scripted sequence like that 'Attack the Alpha' video was.
Sound effects and music I can help with.

OK... I'm not much of a player (I can beat 1on1 Godlike and sometimes win Masterful against multiple SuperBots but hey) but I'm good at video editing/compression :)

If you want good quality and codecs that everyone has then use DivX505 and VBRmp3 (LAME or something) at around 576x432. If you want supreme quality, lower filesize and decide to include codecs in the video's package then use DivX with ogg vorbis for the audio (muxed into an *.ogm). All video must be encoded in two pass as well. I see sooo many video with a low CBR when they could have used a two pass and got much better quality for the same filesize.

Fraps 2.0 is out as well! :D (Just noticed) And sound is captured with video in this version. YAY!

Features
Sound is captured along with the video.
High speed capture codec allows for recording games up to 1024x768.
Frame-skipping support, movies always run at the correct rate.
Full gamma correction on screenshots and movies. No dark captures!
Half-size record option lets you play in hi-res without chewing through disk space.
Ability to disable the overlay, and a hotkey to switch corners!
Much nicer user interface.

www.fraps.com

Unfortunately for me... until November I'm on 56k so until then I can offer myself as advisor only to the technical process if you want me :)

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
If many different videos are going to be edited together, should we compress after capture or not? Because the final edited piece will be compressed again, right? And compressing an already compressed video will lower the quality. Or am I way off base on this?

I wish I could have said that with afew less 'compressed'-s, but whatever

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
DaBeatard said:
If many different videos are going to be edited together, should we compress after capture or not? Because the final edited piece will be compressed again, right? And compressing an already compressed video will lower the quality. Or am I way off base on this?

I wish I could have said that with afew less 'compressed'-s, but whatever

You're not way off base at all. However, unless you have limitless storage you will need to compress your fraps (or similar) captured footage. When doing this however, you must use a codec which is (a) As lossless as possible (b) Can be read properly by Premiere.

Premiere can have problems reading mpeg4 variants like divx or xvid so you must use something like intel indeo 5.11.

I'll research and find out a good intermediate codec for you ;)

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
OK, found one!

Suitable intermediate codec test results[/U

Original footage captured by Fraps
640 x 480, Uncompressed, 38 secs, 424mb

Footage dropped down and compressed (lossless)
576 x 432, HuffYuv2.11 codec, 38 secs, 303mb

This means that whoever cuts the movie will have to do it all themselves unless they have a t1 line or something. They will need to get the demos with a good job-spec as to when the good shots are. They can then capture, trim and (lossless) compress each scene.

If people want, the editor could then upload a heavily compressed version of the day's shots to some webspace so we can all see.

I just did a quick test and found that a two second shot will be about 10mb which is more managable if people are desperate to cut and compress their own shots.

Something to chew on anyway... :)

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
FragBU Friday July 18 As usual, they will stay there for 1 week. 22.3 mb.

Is anyone dl'ing these and pulling clips?

@poopshoot. Thanks for the info.

If this video is going to happen it would be nice to know if anyone is capturing or atleast noting where cool stuff is.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I tried doin the fraps on my computer but it didn't work too well. There are two absolute musts from the last string.

In the face3 map I do the jump off the edge shoot the combo down and then hit the jumpad land by the pyramid and hit the combo (first try too). I've done it before, there might be a demo out there of it but whatever.

In grendal keep scumgrief does a impact hammer jump onto the bridge and then does a falling combo onto me.

Both maps were towards the end like within the last 5, I'm not sure where exactly they were I'm still downloading.

poopshoot: can you fraps these two and then compress it to something nice for us?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
dont forget my headshot on rev on citadel through a popped combo!!

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Alright...since no one seems to be willing to do any actual work on this, I'll have a go at it. Here's the deal- If you can frap some stuff on your own that's great. Set the camera up all nice and pretty and get a good capture. If you can get sound, even better. No music please, and no HUD or crosshair on the video capture (unless you really want it). If you can't capture somethin yourself then you need to tell me EXACTLY when and on what map the shot is, and whether you want first or third person pov. I am not going to sit in front of my computer for ten minutes watching you run around, and then another ten minutes to set the camera right, and then another ten until I can capture it. If you want a nice shot do it yourself.
Once you have a captured shot pm me a download link or find me on the fragbu irc channel and give me the file(s) there.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Fraps is easy to setup. You need to have some codec's installed to record the vid. You then need to run UT2k3 at 640x480 resolution. Crank up the details and make try and keep the FPS at around 25-30 min.

Set Fraps to record at at least 25 fps and you should be fine.

Once you've got the vid recorded load up virtualdub and resave it into a more suitable codec(ie, divx5 or so).

You can trim the vid with virtualdub if you happened to record too early or didn't stop it soon enough.

methodfx

-04-
Jul 29, 2003
i can frap stuff....but when its all done, it ends up being like 500 mb for 10 secs of recording =\

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
]x[isspoopshoot after all those times i've read past your name i am amazed to see how long it took me to catch on. YOUR NAME IS HILARIOUS!