Bullet holes on targets

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

C.E.R.T. Boy

Warden of the UMC Nuthouse
I've been wondering about this for a while. Whenever I go to the shooting range and try out the targets I never see any bullet holes. (No comments about my accuracy please) I selecet decals to on, use High world and skin textures. Still no bullet holes... I am playing in software mode though. Could this be my problem?

Someone please let me know.

Thanks

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
It's funny, I've been posting about this for a while, and no one ever said it like that.

The answers were either:

"switch to OpenGL, it rocks!" or
"what are you doing in software, how can you play INF?!" - that's from a moderator :p

The few people who were actually helpful didn't know, they thought you had to SetDecals=True in the INI (I checked, and it's set to True).

And then you come out of left field and say no decals in software, ever...where did that come from? :) Any idea why that is?

[L]-Damodred

C.E.R.T. Boy

Warden of the UMC Nuthouse
So what's the real answer?

Thanks to both of you for your response and your candor.

Even without the bullet holes and blood splatter Inf is the best thing going out there.

Any one else has any thoughts about this or my other post on tweaking my anemic video card please chime in.

Thanks again guys.

C.E.R.T. Boy

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
I may be wrong but I believe that its down to your "min required framerate" setting. If your framerate drops below this then existing decal disapear in an attempt to up the framrate.

Try setting it to 0 and give it a whirl. Also actually lowering graphical settings may help as that will raise the framerate.

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
no, the framerate trick doesn't work. The slider is at 0.

Apparently you just won't see bullet holes (decals) in software. Someone said this in another thread here...

With the d3d guy, he might be able to do something with that framerate, and looking in his INI to see if Decals=True.

Finally, to the spoiled person in there - actually, software gives the game a nice warm color effect. I tried d3d and everything's flattened, pastel-like, dull and looks like crap. My card doesn't do opengl. I cannot upgrade the card (laptop). Like many people, I currently don't have the funds to buy a $2,500 desktop machine. Finally, I believe in the concept of gameplay above graphics. Any further questions?

I can also send you some screenshots, and I guarantee they're not horrible :)

[L]-Damodred

Tommy Atkins

Older, but no wiser
Mar 17, 2001
UK
Same prob

I thought it was just me not being able to hit the target...

Happened under my Voodoo 3 2000 & under my GeForce 2 MX, both in D3D and Glide. Still haven't been able to fix it, and I've already tried the suggestions posted so far...

Shouldn't this be in Troubleshooting?

icee

May 17, 2001
Visit site
i have a similair problem i was in d3d tho...i see a few bullet holes, but not every round makes a hole, even when i stand right up there and pound away with the mp5 only about 1 in 5 shots leaves a hole....

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
Yep same here. Even when its right in front of me some shots never seem to leave bullet holes. Is it possible that some shots arent getting registered?

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
I've ran INF in Glide, D3D and WickedGL(OpenGL) on my Voodoo3/3000 but so far never in software render. What I've found is:

A. Only about 50% of the bullets left the hole decal below min fps. Around 5 out of 6 leave it above minimum.
B. The time duration they stay is dependant on your framerate. When I had my card on a 450MHz the holes faded in a few seconds but now that its on a 1Gig they seem to stay forever.
C. Unless the puffs of dust/smoke were added in 2.85.5 I never saw them on my old computer just the sparks so that must also be fps dependant.

Think I'll give software a try just for kicks and see what it looks like:)

Edit>Tried software and no bullet holes firing 150rds pointblank on the target range. Only the sparks showed. My guess is no decals for software render. And your right DredDamo at 1024res it looks pretty good in software mode.

Have to disagree on a new desktop costing $2700 though I just built mine for US$701.

Last edited: