The Making of Out of Hell

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The newly-launched Instant Respawn website talks with the creator of the UT2004 TC Out of Hell about his seven year long solo mod experience. Here he talks about the motivation behind starting such a project:

"I was fresh out of computer animation school and had gotten a job at a local company as an environment modeler. I was scared to be honest because I didn't feel that I knew enough. I knew how to model and animate (and not well, mind you) but nothing about the actual game-making process. When it came time for me to perform, I did so poorly and eventually was tasked with working on HUD elements for the project. Again, my inexperience and lack of knowledge really made things difficult and I was eventually let go. After that had happened, how could I apply at any other company with my level of skill where it was?" he explains, "This is why I took it solo, to force myself to learn it."

C+R

Sep 30, 2004
Thinking back, out of the 12+ courses that was part of the program, I only really needed about 4 of them. When I graduated, they only started to introduce a game making program but before that, I didn't realize games had their own map editors. I thought levels were built in a 3D modeling program and imported. :D I should have done more on my own though, hell, by the time I graduated in '98 I didn't even know what an alpha channel was. :D

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
Wow. That's some dedication. I admire people with the drive to do stuff like that. It reminds me of how it felt to be young (as opposed to old and burned out like I am now).

m00naY

May 21, 2008
Texas
The game looks cool. I haven't d/l it yet. But I do plan on checking it out. And that really is some dedication. Good work. :)