Bulletstorm Postmortem With Cliff B

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Pfft Duck Nukem

DarkEmperor, Epic helped PCF in the development of the game
I guess.

12 days cometh

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
postmortem (lit. after death) makes no sense to do right upon release. "development reflrections" seems more sensival. That term has always bugged me lol.

Leak

Sep 1, 2008
Linz, Austria
postmortem (lit. after death) makes no sense to do right upon release. "development reflrections" seems more sensival. That term has always bugged me lol.
Well, they shipped the gold masters to the CD pressing plant so they can't make any further changes (modulo patches)...

But yeah, they should call it "postpartum"... :lol:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Among other things, Cliff and Epic seems to have taken a few lessons from UT3.

Yep.

1. No PC-Demo anymore. It makes things worse.
2. UT3 had versus-gametypes ... hm, let's remove it so that this game does better
3. UT3 had you carrying a full arsenal ... let's remove it so that this game does better
4. It now has GFWL instead of gamespy to satisfy the customer even more.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Bulletstorm isn't UT3 (what's up with Deathmatch being in every ****ing game? Aside that, it won't work in Bulletstorm), and point 3 is extremely subjective. Even your infamous Duke Nukem Forever puppy is more restrictive about weapon carrying.

And if anything, those gameplay decisions are probably made by PCF.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Bulletstorm isn't UT3 (what's up with Deathmatch being in every ****ing game? Aside that, it won't work in Bulletstorm), and point 3 is extremely subjective. Even your infamous Duke Nukem Forever puppy is more restrictive about weapon carrying.

And if anything, those gameplay decisions are probably made by PCF.

DNF isn't my puppy. I am highly sceptical about it. But no potentially good game can be as screwed as a game from EPIC nowadays with all the mistakes they make. Their engine is great though.

I wish PCF had chosen a decent company to have it produced.

(I can forgive the GFWL inclusion though as rumours from inside sources say that Steam integration wasn't working properly.)

This is what EPIC and their more recent games did to me. I was once one of their biggest fans, mapped for the games, defended UT2003 as if I ran BeyondUnreal and had to defend UT3. Even mapped for UT3 and tried to like it (several attempts) and I had bought an XBox360 just for GOW. (OK, I sold the Xbox a few days after).

(I had a different name back then ... never was banned anywhere though)

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I guess I'm going to disagree with "no game can be as bad as a game from EPIC". They are not anything super but they still make cool stuff. But yea, GFWL sucks ass.

But heh, opinions
Then, how many companies make games that meet always the gamer's expectations fully?

P.S: UT2k3 was developed by DigitalExtremes, not Epic.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
2. UT3 had versus-gametypes ... hm, let's remove it so that this game does better
3. UT3 had you carrying a full arsenal ... let's remove it so that this game does better

I don't think either of these points make any sense in the context of the skillshots / high score chasing of the game. VS certainly wouldn't work if the game is ping-ponging between normal and slow mode every time someone whipped out their leash. Also, how would skill shots work? It's becoming very clear the developers are reinforcing skillshots play in every facet of the game. This isn't the standard get from point A to point B type of campaign design. The team based Anarchy mode and score chasing Echo mode makes a lot of sense in the context of the game's design.

While the game forces you to wield a smaller arsenal (despite there being a number of weapons in the game) there's a lot of environmental death options. Limiting your options forces you to think and be creative with your kills. Again, this reinforces the skillshot system and game design.

(You should read this impression on RPS. It made everything about this game "click" for me.)

The last FPS I played was Borderlands with it's 4 weapon slot design. I didn't mind it, and I certainly won't mind a limited carrying space in this game.

Well that's certainly better than Gamespy. I'd prefer Steamworks, but I can see why they might opt for GFWL over Steam right now.

Last edited:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Yep.

1. No PC-Demo anymore. It makes things worse.

You oversimplify things a bit. Reasons are different.
MarkRein said:
RT @Aldrikh @MarkRein what about the PC? <-I'm still pushing for one. There just wasn't time to get one prior to launch.
http://twitter.com/MarkRein/status/30019408713752576

...no arsenal? There are manifold ways to use simply one weapon.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Don't take Mark Rein seriously.

And about the 3-weapons + Leash inventory size, after playing the demo I see where the devs were going. Feels like the Devil May Cry 3 system: upgrade your weapons and strategically choose the ones that you're better at using - in the sense of how good are you at making score points with it - or better for the level you're going to play.

This game got one great gameplay system and good replayability too.