SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It does not destroy the sniper's advantage. Unless the game adds a huge blinking neon-bright arrow to any player with a sniperrifle it won't matter one iota how bright the trail is since you'd already be fragged.

Besides ... there's nothing stopping you from switching to an 'invisible' weapon using the LtG merely because of its zoom-feature.

Never mind that the long range kills are the least of your worries. At short range the visibility of the trail is of no consequence, which leaves you with an extremely lethal weapon that can't be countered except by artificial rules (like an extra long weaponswitch, low RoF) or scarce resources (ie : very few ammo-pickups).

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
JaFO said:
Sure ... but what good is a sniperrifle in a game if you aren't allowed to master it ?

As soon as someone has the skills to 'pwn' people that way they start screaming 'camper' and demanding the weapon be nerfed.

The sniper-lovers otoh will start demanding for higher damage, faster RoF, faster weapon-switch, etc as soon as they notice they can't 'pwn' as easily as they used to.

Of course it isn't limited to the sniperrifle. The flakcannon, biorifle, minigun, linkgun, redeemer, shieldgun, assault rifle, enforcers, etc. all get the same treatment. Those that like it want it to be even easier to use, while their victims would rather have it nerfed instead.

Neither is willing to consider a change of tactics. I guess that's human nature, but it sure sucks if every game is supposed to have the exact same weapon-balance simply because otherwise people won't be able to deal with it.

Here! Here! I must say I agree with you, never a truer word said. The reason I could have been more descriptive is that, my intension in saying it “stops campers” originally, was in my mind, meaning that the trail and flash that the lightning gun makes might put potential campers off, thus keeping the game moving and making it more enjoyable experience for the players. I haven’t a real problem with campers myself because once hit you always get a very good idea where it came from, again when I said it “stops campers” I was saying it in the light of the UT community as a whole might benefit from a weapon that once hit by gives you a very good inkling where it came from because of the flash but, as with all weapons, you will always get a good idea by the direction it throws you. To me camping and being sniped on is part of the game and was always gonna be especially when they introduced a “sniper” weapon, but maybe I just prefer getting up close and personal with an opponent so I can force feed them some Flak…..mmmmm…..Flak....

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
As much as I love hitscan I am fed up with it being so dominant in UT. Give us something projectile based that actually requires some skill to use.

In this age of low pings and high speed net connections killing someone with hitscan is about as hard as clicking an icon on my desktop.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
J_L said:
... thus keeping the game moving and making it more enjoyable experience for the players. ...
That's nonsense. Every player has his own idea as to what makes the game fun.
Some like sniping, some like suppressive fire, some like perfect hits against a moving target, etc.

I think the best way to stop snipers is by changing the scoring-mechanics in a way that it both rewards and encourages people to change their tactics.

The best example I can think of is Burnout. That racing-game has a reward-mechanisme that makes players seek out otherwise suicidal situations.
Metropolis Streetracing (or Project Gotham Racing for the Xbox-fans) has a similar mechanic that tries to enforce a 'clean' racing-style.

If anyone were to invent a scoring/reward-mechanisme like that for fps-games then we'd would have a good chance of getting the players themselves to voluntarely limit the non-rewarding tactics in the game.

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
JaFO said:
That's nonsense. Every player has his own idea as to what makes the game fun.
Some like sniping, some like suppressive fire, some like perfect hits against a moving target, etc.

Yes and my own “idea” is that it might make it a more enjoyable experience for others……this might not be the case but it just seems a lot of people I know and have spoken too feel the same……but obviously there’s different opinions out there, I’m only giving mine if you think its nonsense I have no beef because your entitled to think it.

Your idea of a burnout/gotham style scoring system is "nonsense"

Last edited:

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
I’m always at peace with all…I have a centered Chi…hummmm and I listen to Enya…:hmm: :D

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Well let's agree to disagree then ;)

'cause I still think that modifying the visual effects is not going to stop any snipers, simply because the weapon was designed for sniping in the first place.

You might as well try to find a way to stop people from using the flakcannon at short range. Unless you remove the flakcannon from the game or you radically redesign the thing so that if fills a different role ... but such a redesign will only result in people to switching to another weapon that can fill the same role (and then again and again ... ad infinitum)

You're only trying to eliminate the symptom ('camping') without even trying to eliminate the cause (long range fights offer low risc/high reward for the attacker).

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
I think the point is that some n00bs seem to really enjoy hiding in somewhere dark area and snipe for some frags.

This has been more blanaced with longer waiting for the next shot. But it`s nice to see the lightning so you can see much faster were the sniper hides.

If it`s a good sniper he won`t give you a chance to see were he is but the position of a camper can be discovered more easily.
So personally I`d prefer the LG over the SG.

Surely there are some muts killing all sniper weapons from a map but it wouldn`t be the same UT-gameplay without the long-range-weapons any more (I know that there are many other factors for the UT gameplay but defending a base with snipers is definitaly one of it)

When I use a Sniper Rifle (or Lightning gun) I do this for some headshots at shorter range. (Dodge-Jump-Sniping was still more fun in UT IMO) I don`t like camping at all. When the situation ingame requires it (or the teamcaptain orders it) I certainly will do some snipping, but that`s somehow boring

Last edited by a moderator:

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
JaFO said:
Well let's agree to disagree then ;)

'cause I still think that modifying the visual effects is not going to stop any snipers, simply because the weapon was designed for sniping in the first place.

You might as well try to find a way to stop people from using the flakcannon at short range. Unless you remove the flakcannon from the game or you radically redesign the thing so that if fills a different role ... but such a redesign will only result in people to switching to another weapon that can fill the same role (and then again and again ... ad infinitum)

You're only trying to eliminate the symptom ('camping') without even trying to eliminate the cause (long range fights offer low risc/high reward for the attacker).

I agree with MäxX and that’s all I was agreeing with in first place. I never suggested changing the lighting gun only that it might be better keeping it to help “others” and when I say it might help others I’m talking, Noobs and Reasonably Good Players…they will always outweigh the Masters because there’s most defiantly more noobs being born everyday than there are masters, and so I simply said it might help them, and so I supported to keep the lighting gun just to make the game fun for “all levels”, end of story…

I agree to disagree…

Peace.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
MäxX said:
If it`s a good sniper he won`t give you a chance to see were he is but the position of a camper can be discovered more easily.
So personally I`d prefer the LG over the SG.

Yeah, I hate those shieldgun snipers. :p

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
From the victim's point of view the one that fragged him/her will always be the 'master' even though he might only be a n00b in the grand scheme of things.

MäxX said:
When I use a Sniper Rifle (or Lightning gun) I do this for some headshots at shorter range.
That's the #1 reason for wanting to eliminate the sniperrifle-class of weapons ... if you won't use it for sniping at all then what reason is there to keep it ?
All 'you' really seem to want is an insta-gib rifle ...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
They don't need to get rid of it, they just need to balance it so it's not as effective at said ranges. Increased RoF and Switchaway time would be a good start.

I can see the trace on the cSR just fine most of the time. Only slightly harder to see then the LtG trace IMO.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
I'm surprised that 25% of the community want the Lightning Gun to go (I can't imagine anyone not liking the LtG [then again most of the people who don't want the LtG either don't want the sniper class overall or want a completely new gun *which is fine by me too]), but technically anything more than 66% is an overwhelming majority. Clearly, the 75% who do like the Lighning Gun (me included) would get their wish granted by Epic in a democratic world that this is not, unfortunately.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I still think most people who want the LtG back are assuming it's instead of a "Sniper Rifle."

I don't want a "Sniper Rifle" (bullet sniper, whatever), and would rather an LtG, but would also rather something new considering the multitude of factors we discussed in another thread about this I started when this forum was new.

My priorities are definately:
1. Something new.
2. Lightning gun.
3. Classic Sniper Rifle.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Why is there all this talk about camping....what game types do you guys play that a. its effective to stand still more than 10% of the time, and b. you allow yourself to be repeatadly killed by an immobile person....with only a sniper rifle......

HarrySpanner

coool
Jan 26, 2006
usa
imageevent.com
my priorities are:

1. lightning replaces sniper
2. have both

but ænubis, if you could elaborate on what this new SR would be like, i would be perhaps willing to change my list to:

1. lightning gun and new sniper
2. ltg
3. new sniper
the order of this list could change depending on the pwnage factor of the new sniper :p

@sachiel yer i agree that 75% is overwhelming and i think that epic would do well to look at this post

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
My priorities would be :
1 new gun
2 redesigned lightning gun
3 remove sniperrifle-class of weapons from the game (or at least remove it from maps that don't support sniping)