SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Well, neither in UT2004. When I use secondary on the Minigun, it looks like the tracer isn't hitting my target, but my foe is actually taking damage. It doesn't have to be graphically realistic.

EDIT: Never mind, UT2007 should be realistic.

EDIT2: What am I talking about? UT2007 isn't a realistic game. It's ok to have tracers. >__< Think, Neil, think, stop working on homework and actually pay attention on the forums.

Kingman3

Jul 19, 2005
I agree with whoever says a sniper with rail-like tracer rounds (NOT necessarily a railgun tho').

So I say 75 dmg (150 HS), RoF of about 0.6/sec (LtG is 0.62).

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
0.6 seconds for sniper? That's the current RoF of the shock and everyone bitches about it. The current lightning RoF is 1.6 seconds, which is actually 0.4 seconds slower than Q3's rail. The lightning is fine as is, to be honest. It only needs a lengthier switch-away time and no splash damage child bolts.

The problem with the minigun tracers is they aren't representing actual bulletfire and are instead just a visual extra. Minigun traces are done instantly (even with the secondary fire) so you can't rely on the tracers at all because they are completely invalid.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Kingman3 said:
So I say 75 dmg (150 HS), RoF of about 0.6/sec (LtG is 0.62).

neilthecellist said:
Ok, I'm back to paying full attention *see prior post*, so regarding those values.... Wouldn't lower ones be more... effective? Then only good people would notice.

Yeah that is WAY too much dmg for that rate of fire. It would need to be higher than that.

EDIT: Ok you said 0.6/sec as in thats how many shots per second. The game lists it as 1.6 as in that's how often it fires. LG currently fires once every 1.6 seconds.

I would make it do 68 dmg, make it fire once every 1.67 seconds and give it this ability being discussed here...
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2047177&postcount=24

Last edited:

Lruce

Transcending to another level
Jun 14, 2003
I never really got off on the lightning gun mainly because I think it's just an arse weapon, gimme the razorjack over the lightning gun any day.

Didn't like the cheapness of the lightning effect also, just didn't seem menacing enough as a weapon for me and it looked and sounded kinda arse as well. Sniper rifle was a cool weapon in UT99 but yeah it did look out of place so what's stopping them from reintroducing it with a more high-tech look?

Lighning gun = arse
Sniper rifle (if done nice) = leet

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Unleashed said:
Didn't like the cheapness of the lightning effect also, just didn't seem menacing enough as a weapon for me and it looked and sounded kinda arse as well.

Exactly my problem with this weapon, the effects for it suck, both visuals and sound, someone should show Epic what a lightnong strike looks like!

That lighting bolt they have looks so crappy, it's f8cking transparent and flat shaded for godsake. Lighning looks like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7819856102531162079&q=lightning&pl=true

Kingman3

Jul 19, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
0.6 seconds for sniper? That's the current RoF of the shock and everyone bitches about it. The current lightning RoF is 1.6 seconds, which is actually 0.4 seconds slower than Q3's rail. The lightning is fine as is, to be honest. It only needs a lengthier switch-away time and no splash damage child bolts.

0.6/sec, not 1/0.6 sec

I do agree that a lengthier switch-away time is in order (but FOR CHRISSAKES, NOT AS LONG AS SNIPER).

And splash damage on a sniper gun is hella lame.