Creationist vs Evolutionist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
We have mountains of evidence, the problem is that people basically just say "nope, that isn't valid evidence."

As Bill Nye has said in the past, the whole creationism problem is isolated to the US, at least in the western world. Nobody important in Europe actually believes this stuff. It's being taught exclusively in religion classes, and if anyone makes claims against evolution/general science in the media, they become a laughing stock.

Sucks to be burger.

I think a huge part that has been played by creationists in the US is the fact that one of our core tents is freedom of religion, of which many of the original colonists escaped religious persecution in Europe. I don't see this as much a factor in European nations. I'm not excusing voluntary ignorance.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I think a huge part that has been played by creationists in the US is the fact that one of our core tents is freedom of religion, of which many of the original colonists escaped religious persecution in Europe. I don't see this as much a factor in European nations. I'm not excusing voluntary ignorance.

What do you think?

Dunno. I think it's a major display of arrogance, that christian creationists think their religion should be considered valid alongside science, while every other belief gets to stay in religion class.
Indeed, freedom of religion may be part of the mentality that makes creationists reason, that their beliefs should be in science class.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Dunno. I think it's a major display of arrogance, that christian creationists think their religion should be considered valid alongside science, while every other belief gets to stay in religion class.
Indeed, freedom of religion may be part of the mentality that makes creationists reason, that their beliefs should be in science class.

I think a lot of them don't grasp the difference between a laypersons day to day use of the word Theory & the definition when applied to the sciences.

http://thinking-critically.com/2010/07/08/theory-scientific-vs-laymans-definition/

Personally I don't care what the crazies think but I surely do object to them trying to use it to affect the education of others.
It's bad enough that when religion is taught in schools it is usually, 'ours is the real one - all the others are wrong' rather than, 'there are lots of different religions and we shall look at all of them impartially'.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
[GU]elmur_fud;2603308 said:
You may be right on some of that but you are pretty far off on a lot of it.

So your notion that all creationists are crazies is a bit bigoted. However those want to be in public eye for it most likely are.

Carbon 14 dating is rubbish in the terms of a definitive benchmark because there are multiple anomalies that can influence the amount of carbon 14 that could be present in the specimen being dated. (carbon14 levels can very due to natural gas, volcanic activity, geothermal gasses, and other localized phenomena that can skew results.) However, as you vaguely alluded to, carbon 14 providing a dubious timeline does not evolution disprove.

There really isn't any evidence that proves evolution. There is correlating evidence that supports it, but correlation doesn't imply causality. The same data that 1 group identifies as indicating a progressive linear micro evolution can be interpreted as having a common designer. Though beyond that data to indicate that the creation spoke of in Genesis or any other variation of the story happening is almost nonexistent and there is almost an entire lack of evidence that would factually dispute evolution. Other biblical events certainly... Conversely there are certainly plenty of issues that plague the theory of evolution but you will never see an evolutionist happily embrace it as evidence to the contrary.

History is full of examples of science dragging it's feet when it comes to change. So the comment "Scientists will be excited if you can prove them wrong on very basic things" and its mirror in the debate is BS. Rogue waves are a good example there. Not that you can expect Ken Ham to EVER change his tune, so by contrast though an extreme exaggeration IMO I wouldn't call what you said fundamentally incorrect.

Ugh. I want to point out the level of ignorance in this piece of steaming pile. I was trying to be good and keep out of it, but ugh.

First, your completely ignorant Carbon 14 strawman. First of all, while it is certainly true that environmental factors can mess with the amount of carbon, and potentially mess with dating, it ISN'T a real factor for Carbon dating that is confirmed, as the factors that can mess with it are known, and very easily controlled for (or else, if they can't be, there is an admission of uncertainty on the part of those dating things). Which would be a decent argument if it weren't so completely and utterly based on CSI Miami level knowledge. Carbon 14 is ONE of around 20 or so radiometric ways of measuring time, each with their own particular strengths and weaknesses (ie: carbon 14 is only good for around 50,000 years, but can provide guesses as to the individual year or decade, but Uranium-lead dating gives us a reach of a few billion years, and there are plenty in between, as well as things that have even shorter useful halflifes than C14). What we have done, SO MANY TIMES, is crosscheck multiple types of dating that not only eliminates potential confounding factors, but it ALSO provide corroboration (as well as various other kinds of geological sciences to boot).

This means that there is no "dubious timeline" because it IS NOT being constructed off of a C14 analysis, but rather from multiple sources that work together for independent confirmation. No one even mentioned Carbon 14, and it certainly wouldn't be any use at all in confirming the age of the earth (except as to how accurate it is in hundreds of thousands of instances, and how that can be correlated with other types of dating for confirmation), yet you've decided to start saying how it's rubbish? Thanks? This is like responding to an argument about how it should be easy to fix an engine with the right tool and you telling us how rubber mallets do a terrible job at getting screws in place.

Now onto your evolution malarky: Evolution has been proven again and again and again and again. I know how much people love to throw up the quote that correlation doesn't imply causation, but it's fucking stupid. Correlation does not NECESSARILY imply causation. This is what was obviously meant (it is an enthymeme), and yet people treat it like it's the gospel when they want to ignore plain facts. The theory of gravity is a series of observations that have been made that can be used to make accurate predictions that can be tested in the lab and in the real world. It is, in fact, a bunch of correlations that DO imply causation (if I loaded the hand gun, pointed it at the person's head and pulled the trigger, that DOES imply that their is a causative relationship to that person's brains being removed through kinetic force from the loving enclosure of their skull). Likewise, the theory of evolution (same terms, same grounds as gravity) has been tested and tested and tested and found to be definitively sound.

But WAIT A SECOND, may you say, there are people that have argued about multiple, different sorts of evolutionary theories that don't all match! It's true. There is, for instance, Darwin's main, original theory that evolution is a (more or less) linear line of gradual evolution on one hand, and Steven Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium (in which there are long periods of stability in a population and then a very quick surge of change, followed by more stability, etc.) on the other. They're different! But the thing is, while they are certainly different, they are different in the way that Newton's Gravity and Einstein's Gravity are different: there are, in fact, different ideas, and they even have fundamentally different beliefs about the ways in which the world should be understood, but they BOTH show you an accurate trajectory of a thrown baseball, they BOTH are very useful--and in fact, in most applications, gravitational calculations are done with Newton's equation, even though it has since been proven wrong, as it's less computationally intensive and the results are essentially the same. Why is this? Because while the minutiae is still not entirely understood, 99% of what is happening IS, and we can document it to an insane degree, model it and have remarkably accurate predictions, etc. The disagreement is on the tiny percentage. So it is with evolutionary debate. There is still lots we don't know, but that lots we don't know is the tiny stuff of filling in the absolutely tiniest details, as the fundamental principles are known, documented, debated, discussed, experimented on, confirmed, reconfirmed, etc. There is evidence on the fossil level, there is evidence on the genome level, there is evidence on the observational level, and they all point to and corroborate the data. IT IS PROVEN. Yes, just like Newton's Gravity there are flaws that mean that super fine levels of information elude us (and without relativity, we wouldn't have a QUITE as accurate understanding of the movement of planetary bodies, but we would still have a fucking incredibly amazing one), but just like Newton's Gravity, the fundamental understanding is there, proven and solid.

Finally: there are TONS of evolutionary biologists that are CONSTANTLY challenging evolution. Not the facts as we know them, because they're fucking facts, they are verified a million times over and understood, but the tiny minute details that drive the systems, in how things act and interact, etc. within the main strictures of biology. People are putting forward new propositions and others are arguing with them based upon the evidence and they are trying to throw out the old system for a new one, much (again), like when Relativity came in (and there were tons and tons of people before Einstein bucking trends--they just weren't right), and should there be a better, more useful, more helpful, better held up theory (or theories) than we currently have, it will be swiftly adopted as the evidence comes in.

Anyone can choose to believe or not believe in god as they will, and they can find a section in the bible that will "prove" them right (You mention Genisis and how it seems to confirm our understanding of geology, for instance, but you fail to acknowledge that there are two accounts: one in which (gen 1:1-26) it goes 1) earth 2) light 3) water 4) land 5) plants 6) seasons + sun/moon 7) animals 8) man and woman (together), and then A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ONE (Gen 2:4-in which it goes 1) heaven and earth 2)dirt with some mist coming out of it 3) man 4) plants 5) water 6) the animals 7) woman), but the bible is written in a way that is completely, and purposefully vague and contradictory. It can neither confirm nor deny anything, even the basic order of what came first, man or animal, man and woman as a pair or woman as an afterthought, is in question in the first 1,000 words. The text is MERELY for belief and moral instruction. It has zero use as a geological record, and while, again, someone can certainly believe that all of evolution was guided by god, there is zero way, ever, to prove it. We CAN prove evolution, through the scientific method, research and confirmation, but you can ONLY EVER choose to believe or not that God was in charge.

Creationists are all complete, and utter idiots. I don't mean that they have a low IQ (though a very strong majority do), but rather that they ignore what has been proved and independently confirmed because they don't want to see it. By this I don't mean that all religious people are idiots, nor that a belief that God created everything is idiotic, but I DO mean that anyone that denies the easily (and often) proven, documented, corroborated, vigorously debated (from within, as in, scientific debate) and pushed forward (as science is) fact of the theory of evolution (by which I mean: all creationists) is undoubtedly idiotic.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
The problem, which Nye pointed out a few times in the debate, is that that is not all there is to it. There are those who want to change public school curriculum to teach intelligent design along side or instead of evolution. There are those who wish to have prayer back in the classroom, and essentially turn us all back in time to the pre-evolutionary 1800's I suppose. This could, in turn, put America further behind academically in the science/technology realm.

As near as I can tell, these are separate issues. It's one thing to think that the universe came about a mythological way, and it's another thing entirely to try to call that science and have it taught in science classrooms. I think we ought to be careful not to mix up the two arguments.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
These are two very stupid things to say for a single post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transitional_fossils

I hope you realize that the phrase "it is only a theory" is American vernacular and to actually get to the point of a a theory a shit-load of evidence is required. Guess what? Gravity is also a theory. Know how it became a theory? Because we have a shit-load of evidence to back it up. Are there still some uncertainties? Sure (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25598051). However saying "gravity is only a theory" would do no more than make you sound idiotic.

Try and comprehend for a second that not a single transitional fossil discovered has been out of place in location, species, or time of origin. Together the fossils form an extremely cohesive timeline for evolution over time. What you are saying is a complete misunderstanding of the correlation vs causality in terms of science. The scientific process will never certainly determine causality. The scientific process however, will allow a testable prediction (hypothesis) to be made, then expect evidence to support it. When enough evidence exists to support a given hypothesis, it can be safe to assume that that hypothesis is correct. It only becomes a fallacy of assumption when evidence starts to pile up against a certain hypothesis or theory. Given that no single fossil or piece of evidence has contradicted evolution at this present time, but in fact have supported it, evolution can be a safe causal relationship.

Ugh. I want to point out the level of ignorance in this piece of steaming pile. I was trying to be good and keep out of it, but ugh.

First, your completely ignorant Carbon 14 strawman. First of all, while it is certainly true that environmental factors can mess with the amount of carbon, and potentially mess with dating, it ISN'T a real factor for Carbon dating that is confirmed, as the factors that can mess with it are known, and very easily controlled for (or else, if they can't be, there is an admission of uncertainty on the part of those dating things). Which would be a decent argument if it weren't so completely and utterly based on CSI Miami level knowledge. Carbon 14 is ONE of around 20 or so radiometric ways of measuring time, each with their own particular strengths and weaknesses (ie: carbon 14 is only good for around 50,000 years, but can provide guesses as to the individual year or decade, but Uranium-lead dating gives us a reach of a few billion years, and there are plenty in between, as well as things that have even shorter useful halflifes than C14). What we have done, SO MANY TIMES, is crosscheck multiple types of dating that not only eliminates potential confounding factors, but it ALSO provide corroboration (as well as various other kinds of geological sciences to boot).

This means that there is no "dubious timeline" because it IS NOT being constructed off of a C14 analysis, but rather from multiple sources that work together for independent confirmation. No one even mentioned Carbon 14, and it certainly wouldn't be any use at all in confirming the age of the earth (except as to how accurate it is in hundreds of thousands of instances, and how that can be correlated with other types of dating for confirmation), yet you've decided to start saying how it's rubbish? Thanks? This is like responding to an argument about how it should be easy to fix an engine with the right tool and you telling us how rubber mallets do a terrible job at getting screws in place.

Now onto your evolution malarky: Evolution has been proven again and again and again and again. I know how much people love to throw up the quote that correlation doesn't imply causation, but it's fucking stupid. Correlation does not NECESSARILY imply causation. This is what was obviously meant (it is an enthymeme), and yet people treat it like it's the gospel when they want to ignore plain facts. The theory of gravity is a series of observations that have been made that can be used to make accurate predictions that can be tested in the lab and in the real world. It is, in fact, a bunch of correlations that DO imply causation (if I loaded the hand gun, pointed it at the person's head and pulled the trigger, that DOES imply that their is a causative relationship to that person's brains being removed through kinetic force from the loving enclosure of their skull). Likewise, the theory of evolution (same terms, same grounds as gravity) has been tested and tested and tested and found to be definitively sound.

But WAIT A SECOND, may you say, there are people that have argued about multiple, different sorts of evolutionary theories that don't all match! It's true. There is, for instance, Darwin's main, original theory that evolution is a (more or less) linear line of gradual evolution on one hand, and Steven Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium (in which there are long periods of stability in a population and then a very quick surge of change, followed by more stability, etc.) on the other. They're different! But the thing is, while they are certainly different, they are different in the way that Newton's Gravity and Einstein's Gravity are different: there are, in fact, different ideas, and they even have fundamentally different beliefs about the ways in which the world should be understood, but they BOTH show you an accurate trajectory of a thrown baseball, they BOTH are very useful--and in fact, in most applications, gravitational calculations are done with Newton's equation, even though it has since been proven wrong, as it's less computationally intensive and the results are essentially the same. Why is this? Because while the minutiae is still not entirely understood, 99% of what is happening IS, and we can document it to an insane degree, model it and have remarkably accurate predictions, etc. The disagreement is on the tiny percentage. So it is with evolutionary debate. There is still lots we don't know, but that lots we don't know is the tiny stuff of filling in the absolutely tiniest details, as the fundamental principles are known, documented, debated, discussed, experimented on, confirmed, reconfirmed, etc. There is evidence on the fossil level, there is evidence on the genome level, there is evidence on the observational level, and they all point to and corroborate the data. IT IS PROVEN. Yes, just like Newton's Gravity there are flaws that mean that super fine levels of information elude us (and without relativity, we wouldn't have a QUITE as accurate understanding of the movement of planetary bodies, but we would still have a fucking incredibly amazing one), but just like Newton's Gravity, the fundamental understanding is there, proven and solid.

Finally: there are TONS of evolutionary biologists that are CONSTANTLY challenging evolution. Not the facts as we know them, because they're fucking facts, they are verified a million times over and understood, but the tiny minute details that drive the systems, in how things act and interact, etc. within the main strictures of biology. People are putting forward new propositions and others are arguing with them based upon the evidence and they are trying to throw out the old system for a new one, much (again), like when Relativity came in (and there were tons and tons of people before Einstein bucking trends--they just weren't right), and should there be a better, more useful, more helpful, better held up theory (or theories) than we currently have, it will be swiftly adopted as the evidence comes in.

Anyone can choose to believe or not believe in god as they will, and they can find a section in the bible that will "prove" them right (You mention Genisis and how it seems to confirm our understanding of geology, for instance, but you fail to acknowledge that there are two accounts: one in which (gen 1:1-26) it goes 1) earth 2) light 3) water 4) land 5) plants 6) seasons + sun/moon 7) animals 8) man and woman (together), and then A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ONE (Gen 2:4-in which it goes 1) heaven and earth 2)dirt with some mist coming out of it 3) man 4) plants 5) water 6) the animals 7) woman), but the bible is written in a way that is completely, and purposefully vague and contradictory. It can neither confirm nor deny anything, even the basic order of what came first, man or animal, man and woman as a pair or woman as an afterthought, is in question in the first 1,000 words. The text is MERELY for belief and moral instruction. It has zero use as a geological record, and while, again, someone can certainly believe that all of evolution was guided by god, there is zero way, ever, to prove it. We CAN prove evolution, through the scientific method, research and confirmation, but you can ONLY EVER choose to believe or not that God was in charge.

Creationists are all complete, and utter idiots. I don't mean that they have a low IQ (though a very strong majority do), but rather that they ignore what has been proved and independently confirmed because they don't want to see it. By this I don't mean that all religious people are idiots, nor that a belief that God created everything is idiotic, but I DO mean that anyone that denies the easily (and often) proven, documented, corroborated, vigorously debated (from within, as in, scientific debate) and pushed forward (as science is) fact of the theory of evolution (by which I mean: all creationists) is undoubtedly idiotic.

:rolleyes: Let me rephrase what I said about dating since I apparently confused you people.

Ken Ham claims dating is invalid because it doesn't always provide 'accurate' results. My point however was that it was his argument that was invalid due to the function that dating (of any type) fills, and that providing that contamination didn't occur, the results wouldn't have been inaccurate but more akin to anomalous (in the case of his fossilized wood) but an anomaly doesn't automatically disprove anything.

I called carbon 14 rubbish at doing something it isn't going to do, that is all. I didn't call it rubbish. I singled out carbon 14 because I have heard Ken Ham speak in the past, when family members decide I should watch something they are just sure I'll love(simply because it has to do with geology), and that has always been his focus. As I have said before in this thread I didn't watch the debate all the way through (and most likely didn't retain the majority of what I did watch) so I had no reason to suspect he changed his tune at all.

As far as where exactly I was going in that evolution paragraph even I am confused. I think it had to do with micro vs macro evolution and the standard scientific interpretation contrasted to creationists but my wife was rushing me so we could get on the road early enough in the day to take a road trip to relatives. My ability to type and form coherent thoughts goes to hell when rushed... so Let me quote some of what I was basing my thoughts off: From wikipedia.

The term "macroevolution" frequently arises within the context of the evolution/creation debate, usually used by creationists alleging a significant difference between the evolutionary changes observed in field and laboratory studies and the larger scale macroevolutionary changes that scientists believe to have taken thousands or millions of years to occur. They accept that evolutionary change is possible within what they call "kinds" ("microevolution"), but deny that one "kind" can evolve into another ("macroevolution").[14] Contrary to this belief among the anti-evolution movement proponents, evolution of life forms beyond the species level (i.e. speciation) has indeed been observed multiple times under both controlled laboratory conditions and in nature.[15] In creation science, creationists accepted speciation as occurring within a "created kind" or "baramin", but objected to what they called "third level-macroevolution" of a new genus or higher rank in taxonomy. Generally, there is ambiguity as to where they draw a line on "species", "created kinds", etc. and what events and lineages fall within the rubric of microevolution or macroevolution.[16] The claim that macroevolution does not occur, or is impossible, is not supported by the scientific community.

Such claims are rejected by the scientific community on the basis of ample evidence that macroevolution is an active process both presently and in the past.[6][17] The terms macroevolution and microevolution relate to the same processes operating at different scales, but creationist claims misuse the terms in a vaguely defined way which does not accurately reflect scientific usage, acknowledging well observed evolution as "microevolution" and denying that "macroevolution" takes place.[6][18] Evolutionary theory (including macroevolutionary change) remains the dominant scientific paradigm for explaining the origins of Earth's biodiversity. Its occurrence is not disputed within the scientific community.[19] While details of macroevolution are continuously studied by the scientific community, the overall theory behind macroevolution (i.e. common descent) has been overwhelmingly consistent with empirical data. Predictions of empirical data from the theory of common descent have been so consistent that biologists often refer to it as the "fact of evolution".[20][21]

Describing the fundamental similarity between Macro and Microevolution in his authoritative textbook "Evolutionary Biology," biologist Douglas Futuyma writes,
“ One of the most important tenets of the theory forged during the Evolutionary Synthesis of the 1930s and 1940s was that "macroevolutionary" differences among organisms - those that distinguish higher taxa - arise from the accumulation of the same kinds of genetic differences that are found within species. Opponents of this point of view believed that "macroevolution" is qualitatively different from "microevolution" within species, and is based on a totally different kind of genetic and developmental patterning... Genetic studies of species differences have decisively disproved [this] claim. Differences between species in morphology, behavior, and the processes that underlie reproductive isolation all have the same genetic properties as variation within species: they occupy consistent chromosomal positions, they may be polygenic or based on few genes, they may display additive, dominant, or epistatic effects, and they can in some instances be traced to specifiable differences in proteins or DNA nucleotide sequences. The degree of reproductive isolation between populations, whether prezygotic or postzygotic, varies from little or none to complete. Thus, reproductive isolation, like the divergence of any other character, evolves in most cases by the gradual substitution of alleles in populations. ”

— Douglas Futuyma, "Evolutionary Biology" (1998), pp.477-8

"As critics, the creationists remind us that the theory of evolution is indeed a theory, subject and in need of much scrutiny and reevaluation. As scientists, however, the creationists offer us an alternative to evolution that amounts to an unfalsifiable hypothesis. For in the study of macro- and microevolution the evidence for or against the operation of a superior being is simply not observable, and testing for the operation of a superior being is beyond the means of scientific inquiry. Ultimately, therefore, creationists leave scientists with no possibility but to continue to study the history of life as being controlled by materialistic mechanisms. This is not the same thing as saying that the Darwinian account of evolution is "true," but that it does continue to be the only theory that has held up to the types of investigations that lie within the domain of science."

Biology,
Villee, Solomon, and Davis
Saunders College Publishing
1985, p. 105

So basically I am saying evolution isn't proven. Why would I say that when you so vehemently said it was and basically called me an idiot for thinking such? Well when you prove something you take away the ability to question it... Technically one should never use the word prove/proof when dealing with science (yet again another artifact of haste)... Even as you admitted, there are still plenty of gaps and contradictions and as that last quote shows even scientists who are proponents of evolution agree there is plenty to question. There is plenty of evidence, the vast weight of scientific evidence is on the side of evolution, but that still doesn't make it 'proven' no matter what a high-school teacher on a game forum says.

Now to get back to my devils advocate routine: Creationists would say that those gaps are evidence of it being a flawed theory and that much of the evidence can be chalked up to intelligent design.

Beyond that though what evidence do they have? Well the testable aspects of creation would be:
  • The idea that all life does not share a common ancestor.
  • The description of natural processes that would inhibit the origin of life from occurring naturally.
  • The description of natural processes which would inhibit major evolutionary change.
I'll let you know if I hear any evidence for those things.

People resist change. Even scientists. I cited rogue waves as an example. A more closely correlated one might be the history of the theory of evolution itself. Scientists didn't jump to embrace Darwin's work. The scientific community at large didn't embrace it for quite some time. Blood letting and smoking used to be prescribed by doctors. The very notion that man could break the speed of sound required proof for most of the world. For another modern day example string theory took the better part of a century to flesh out and gain mainstream acceptance. Scientists by nature are cautious and aren't quick to get on any bandwagon. I find it graphically naive to assume that they would embrace any new science with the cavalier childish enthusiasm implied repeatedly in dealing with this debate. Small changes/advances are more readily excepted for certain. But drastic changes take time.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Can science prove why humans are logical thinkers as opposed to the vast majority of animal life on Earth? Why, not how, did the human brain evolve to its level of intelligence where others did not? Can science prove why we question our world, our universe, whether or not we have a "creator"?

How much more logical can you get then food = eat and cosy = nap ?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
[GU]elmur_fud;2603412 said:
So basically I am saying evolution isn't proven. Why would I say that when you so vehemently said it was and basically called me an idiot for thinking such? Well when you prove something you take away the ability to question it... Technically one should never use the word prove/proof when dealing with science (yet again another artifact of haste)... Even as you admitted, there are still plenty of gaps and contradictions and as that last quote shows even scientists who are proponents of evolution agree there is plenty to question. There is plenty of evidence, the vast weight of scientific evidence is on the side of evolution, but that still doesn't make it 'proven' no matter what a high-school teacher on a game forum says.

Now to get back to my devils advocate routine: Creationists would say that those gaps are evidence of it being a flawed theory and that much of the evidence can be chalked up to intelligent design.

Beyond that though what evidence do they have? Well the testable aspects of creation would be:
  • The idea that all life does not share a common ancestor.
  • The description of natural processes that would inhibit the origin of life from occurring naturally.
  • The description of natural processes which would inhibit major evolutionary change.
I'll let you know if I hear any evidence for those things.

People resist change. Even scientists. I cited rogue waves as an example. A more closely correlated one might be the history of the theory of evolution itself. Scientists didn't jump to embrace Darwin's work. The scientific community at large didn't embrace it for quite some time. Blood letting and smoking used to be prescribed by doctors. The very notion that man could break the speed of sound required proof for most of the world. For another modern day example string theory took the better part of a century to flesh out and gain mainstream acceptance. Scientists by nature are cautious and aren't quick to get on any bandwagon. I find it graphically naive to assume that they would embrace any new science with the cavalier childish enthusiasm implied repeatedly in dealing with this debate. Small changes/advances are more readily excepted for certain. But drastic changes take time.

Let me address again where you are very wrong. Evolution IS proven, just like gravity is. Gravity was proven hundreds of years ago and yet there was debate about it, there were different theories put forth, and eventually a different theory of the proven entity was adopted instead of it. Here is your problem: you seem to think that a fact, or something that is proven is 100% right all of the time. It is an understandable, but foundationally naive assumption. A fact is only true as long as we agree that it is true. Facts change all of the time. For instance, the atom was for a long time thought to be the smallest building block in the universe (hence its name), and it was proven to be so--and then new information and new proof came along that said that there were smaller things. Scientists use words like fact, proof, proven, etc. all of the time because it tells us that it has been set forth in theory, tested, retested and independently confirmed to be true--and while there is a possibility that this will be upset in the future, it IS what is known to be true at the time, and thus we can move forward with that certainty to build more models. And while we can always get into a pedantic argument about semiotics and the meaning of words, my point isn't to do that, but rather that my point is that when I say things like proven, I mean to say that it is proven in the same way that gravity is proven, not in the way that a gallop poll "proves" something. Perhaps you would rather a different word, and that's fine, but the intention here is clear: All logical, rational arguments support with models, evidence, observation, etc. that evolution is true, much like with gravity, and though, like gravity, we don't know everything about it, we are as certain about it as we can be on ANYTHING.

To make the claim that evolution isn't proven is to imply that gravity is "just a theory." To imply that because there is still debate, and therefore we can't trust our models is literally to imply that because there is still debate about gravity (and there is still VERY VIGOROUS DISAGREEMENT about it), and that there are gaps in our understanding of gravity (of which there are very big ones), we can't launch a rocket to the moon. It is fundamentally a terrible argument that chooses to focus on an arbitrary, non-helpful definition of a word in order to ignore a mountain of evidence.

And I'm a college professor. Ass. (In literature, rhet/comp and creative writing). On a gaming forum.

As for your devil's advocate routine: it is asinine. The gaps in our understanding are tiny and tell us simply that we need to continue to gather data and study the mountains of evidence gathered and to be gathered in the future; to say that the gaps prove Intelligent Design is like saying that the gaps in our understanding of gravity proves that God is hugging all things together. If you would like to believe that these gaps support an idea of god creating everything, feel free, but it is entirely a belief and it has no basis, support, evidence or logical connection to science in any way, shape or form. Additionally, your bullet points in NO WAY point to this evidence being necessary to a creator, but are really rather arbitrary (as are all creationist arguments). Further, are you saying that if any of your points for creation are shown to be false that this is definitive proof that there is no god?

And you're right: scientists don't just jump onto a new idea: they require proof. And then this proof has to be independently tested and argued, etc. Evolution, by the way, is not a case in which it took a particularly long time. Within 20 years of On the Origin of Species (many reports would put it within a single decade, but I'm being conservative here), his evolutionary model was accepted by the LARGE majority of biologists. There were, in fact, MANY ideological arguments and various claims/fights about details, but the theory as a whole was tested, retested, confirmed and accepted as true remarkably quickly.

You're obsessed with rogue waves, for some reason, but this is a bad argument. For one, there was no theory as to how a rogue wave could come about, which was then found to be solid and with data to prove it, rather, it was something that sailors would talk about alongside mermaid sightings and the bermuda triangle, and which didn't fit other models. THIS IS WILDLY DIFFERENT. It's true that there was a problem with models of wave creation, that have had to be adjusted multiple times, and which were done so based upon, you know, documented evidence of the rogue waves, but it is NOT true that scientists ignored provable evidence and testable theories. Likewise with bloodletting and cigarette smoking: You're going back to an era before there was even a scientific method, but rather only anecdotal evidence built upon traditions of listening to ancestors (bloodletting) and further anecdotal recommendations based upon philosophical ideas, rather than physiological data (smoking). There are certainly other cases of data not being accepted very quickly, and science can indeed be cautious, but you're being silly by claiming that this is any any way, shape or form comparable to creationists. This isn't a group needing evidence from multiple sources and confirmation from multiple sources to be convinced, which may take time, but rather a group that has been given hundreds of thousands of independent confirmations and which has simply decided to ignore it and wildly distort the findings in intellectually reprehensible ways.

Again: there is literally nothing about creationism that is rational, scientific or arguable in an intelligent way. Also again: this doesn't "prove" there is no God, nor does it "Prove" that God didn't have a hand in setting all of these processes into place--this is because this is a BELIEF that can be superimposed upon any type of evidence you want however you want, according to your particular religious text and religious background.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
elmur_fud, you still fail to understand that until a reasonable hypothesis against evolution is proposed and backed with compelling evidence, the core tenets of evolution are basically proven. Is it still possible that it can be overturned in the future? Yes. However it is not anywhere remotely reasonable to question it. Let me repeat: Evolution is at the point where it is no longer reasonable without sufficient evidence to question it.

From Wkipedia:

From the American Association for the Advancement of Science:

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world. The theory of biological evolution is more than "just a theory." It is as factual an explanation of the universe as the atomic theory of matter or the germ theory of disease. Our understanding of gravity is still a work in progress. But the phenomenon of gravity, like evolution, is an accepted fact.[15]

Note that the term theory would not be appropriate for describing untested but intricate hypotheses or even scientific models.

From http://nationalacademies.org/evolution/TheoryOrFact.html :

In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term "fact" to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.

The problem moreover is not our definition of theory, but the exploitation of that idea to insert logical fallacies in promotion of a religious idea.

If your concern is that evolution cannot be "proven" in the sense it is not completely developed to the point where there are no more questions to be asked and every single uncertainty is certain where no holes are left to plug, then I must remind you that nothing we have is that complete. What you are looking for is a "Theory of Everything" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything#G.C3.B6del.27s_incompleteness_theorem ), which may be impossible for humans to even grasp, yet achieve.

Now, if you are singling out Carbon 14 dating because it cannot single handily prove anything (nothing can) and because Ken Ham mentioned it, then you really should stop listening to Ken Ham. If anything can be proven, it is that he is not a reasonable source for information and he should not be used as a fall guy in an argument. Surely you are smarter than he is in terms of this debate.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
How much more logical can you get then food = eat and cosy = nap ?

Hmm...I think it comes down to individuals looking for answers to more meaningful questions than why do I eat, at least in the philosophical and religious context. Science already has the basic answer to those other two questions.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
What if there is no answer and no reason? Who told you that there always must be reason? Cause yes, but not necessary a reason. Currently we are like ants that wonder if this world ever end somewhere, but unlike ants world, our universe is much bigger place. Even if good existed he/she/it would not care about one single rock out of infinite number of others. More effective solution is to prepare rules for universe that can create intelligent life than to manually create such life. Why you creationists believe that we humans are so important and unique that god himself itself or herself created us out of mud? Once people like you believed that earth is flat and center of universe, and they burned anybody who did not agreed. Now you all happily use airplanes and satellite tv, gps. I bet most of you will use genetically created medicines even if science that made them is wrong. Why all those religious people are such big hypocrites everywhere?

Also why everybody assumes that god is a male, does he have penis, did anybody seen his penis?

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
The answer and reason are based on individual perspective and experiences, which is science cannot directly apply. Individual actions and responses are not always going to explained by science, nor will science explain why random occurrences happen to an individual.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
The answer and reason are based on individual perspective and experiences, which is science cannot directly apply. Individual actions and responses are not always going to explained by science, nor will science explain why random occurrences happen to an individual.

Wow, what a load of bullshit.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Belief and knowledge are two separate things. How else would you explain that not all scientists are atheists? Surely you aren't saying that those scientists who have a personal or religious faith are uneducated. A recent study (2010) showed that of the 1700 scientists involved, with almost 300 interviewed, spirituality plays a part in the lives of almost half of that group. It doesn't mean the individuals are all religious, as in believe in a supreme being of some sort; they believe in a power greater than themselves and that belief does not directly conflict with their work.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hmm...I think it comes down to individuals looking for answers to more meaningful questions than why do I eat, at least in the philosophical and religious context. Science already has the basic answer to those other two questions.

Maybe it also comes from pink creatures having to find inventing solutions to avoid getting eaten by predators superior in strength. Our nervous system is much more developped then other animals.