StaticMesh is black

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
Static meshes use vertex lighting rather than the per-pixel lighting of BSP. If you've 'buried' parts of the mesh in something else, like BSP or another mesh, then the vertices of the mesh aren't receiving light info and therefore think they're in shadow. Thus, you're mesh turns black.

There are some other possibilites but this is the most common reason.

Hope it helps, good luck!

-AV

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
CyberSirius said:
Actually,it's lightmaps for BSP.

Yes....

Stastic meshes use vertex lightning (from triangle formation) while the walls have per-pixel lightning that can be changed from the surfaces propreties.

Member: Hammer said:
Hello,

my staticmesh is just black if i use lighting.
wtf ?

Hammer HL2/1 user you are?

Try subtracting a room and put a light inside that room with the stastic meshe in it. Instead. If you think that what i just said is stupid and you have made a map but ONLY one stastic meshe is black. Try force visibility zone in it's propreties.

Last edited: