UT or UT99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Even though I usually like to point this out to people who always refer to Unreal Tournament as "UT99" when they are typing about the game, I only do it just to be funny but in reality it really is UT99.

I mean, lets say you have a kid and name him [yourname] Jr. then you become Senior, but you aren't referred to as "Senior" until Junior comes around.

Therefore, Unreal Tournament is now referred to as UT99; since (Junior) UT2k3 was released.

Discuss.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
That's very true.

The only way to compare the difference between the versions is by calling it with the released date or by numerical order of their version to prevent confusion on people who never heard of the previous releases.

An example could be:

Unreal Tournament,
Unreal Tournament:Game of the Year,
Unreal Tournament:GOTY
--- as UT99 or UT1

UnrealTournament2003
--- as UT2k3 or UT2

UnrealTournament2004
--- as UT2k4 or UT2.5

UnrealTournament3
--- as UT3 only

This is the way I describe the games to people and they get it right away, and is the way I would understand it if I was a beginner as well.

These versions are not related to the patches they have gone through since all players are forced to patch/fix the game to play online in patched servers. It is just the best way to relate about the game we are talking about.

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well if the UT series still goes by the year naming system much like the Madden games, then UT '99 would still apply. But Epic switched the numbering system with the release of UT 3. To me UT 1 is the original UT game of the series much like the orginal Quake can be refered to Quake 1 to differentiate from the other Quake games. And I consider both UT2003 & UT2004 as the 'UT 2' series since there's not much of a major difference between the game engines generation-wise.

But if someone wants to say "UT 99" then it's no big deal... It's like saying "to-may-toe" or "to-mah-toe", either way it's the same thing. :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
UT1 or UT:GOTY, UT2003 and UT2004, UT3. People who don't like the 99 part are right - UT2003 idea was to make it sports-like, if that idea was in effect back in UT1 time, then it would be named UT99 officially. Besides, it makes sense to add 1 since it's the first game. You don't call Unreal U98, you call it U1.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
UT1 or UT:GOTY, UT2003 and UT2004, UT3. People who don't like the 99 part are right - UT2003 idea was to make it sports-like, if that idea was in effect back in UT1 time, then it would be named UT99 officially. Besides, it makes sense to add 1 since it's the first game. You don't call Unreal U98, you call it U1.

it was never known as ut1 so same logic in calling it ut99.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I like to call it the "Original Unreal Tournament Game Which Was Released In 1999 Otherwise Known As UT1 As It Was The First One", or "OUTGWRI99OKAUT1AIWTFS99" for short.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
it was never known as ut1 so same logic in calling it ut99.

UT. If you really need to point out the difference to UT200x or UT3, call it UT1.

Game names with release years in them are stupid. It's a good thing it was dropped for UT3.
And UT2003 was released late in 2002, btw. Following that logic, you'd have to call the first game "UT2000", right? ;)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
tag: ut99 - ut2003 - ut2004 - see a patten????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patten_(shoe)

Pattens are protective overshoes worn from the Middle Ages until the early 20th century. Pattens were worn outdoors over a normal shoe, held in place by leather or cloth bands, with a wooden or later wood and metal sole. Pattens functioned to elevate the foot above the mud and dirt (including human effluent and animal dung) of the street, in a period when road and urban paving was minimal.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I see, so you're out of arguments already? UT3 was initially code-named "Envy" and the "UT2007" production name was heavily criticized by the community. "UT3" is the third part of the UT series. (UT2004 is the upgraded second part)

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I'm not trying to convert you. I'm just stating my logic. It works for and makes sense to me. Personally I wish they had gone for the yearly updates. It would have been more fitting for a future sports game. It would have made more sense. Unreal Tournament 3: where's the tournament?

I certainly don't have to justify it to anyone other than me.

Plus I am not going to argue about the title of a ten year old game.
:)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'm not trying to convert you. I'm just stating my logic.

Logic? :D
aceattorneyinvestigatio.png

Anyway, UT1 wasn't really a sport game, at least not directly, that idea was mainly in UT2003 and UT2004, and then dropped for UT3 (although there they went to the too serious side indeed).

Hey, you're already arguing about it? :D

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
In other news: Loque has just slain his 99th opponent in the infamous meatgrinder tournament.

In other news: Ice weasel got cold feet when confronted by a stark raving mad lunatic totally bonkers drooling warcow entering the morbias arena with a sheep shaped weapon. He lost 10-0.

In other news: Nali no longer know what is up or down after Napali's gravity has gone berserk. Skaarj made good use of the confusion and filmed their clumsy, idiotic wandering about. Send it to Napali's funniest home videos and won first price: A gazillion million tarydium shards.

RIGHT ON!!

righton.jpg

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I remember reading somewhere when ut2003 was announced that the Epic guys described the first Unreal Tournament game by its year of release (UT99) since the second release was going by that. Of course, there was a big community argument about it but what can they do when the owners of the games can name them whatever the heck they want right. As for me, since I don't discriminate, I describe the games either way depending on which way the other person understands about their difference better, be it UT99 or UT1. It really makes no sense making childish arguments on whos right and whos wrong about the way they want other people to call it because they think it is the right way when this hasnt been an official matter by the Epic guys anyway.

So, you can call it any way you want as long as the other person knows and understands what you're talking about.