Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I remember seeing this booth set up at The Showdown LANFest 2007, in San Jose, CA. Since then, I havn't seen anything about it.

Does it still have that annoying glow in the wall where your team mates are? Or a map with radar? That idea was very dumb IMO.

The concept wouldn't work without it. Part of what makes L4D fun is how streamlined all the information is. The music is used to alert you of incoming rushes or nearby bosses, the facial expressions and postures shows how much health a character has, a character who needs saving will cry it out and be highlighted, and you're always - always able to tell where your teammates are. It all works really well for it's purpose.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I preordered it and have played the demo for the whole weekend, its really good :)
The graphics arent as good as, lets say UT3, but it feels very solid both gameplay wise and the rest.

I never thought i would enjoy playing this short demo as many times that i have :)

Now, hurry up 18th Nov!

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The graphics arent as good as, lets say UT3, but it feels very solid both gameplay wise and the rest.

It's Source, it still has its limitations, but compared to what Source looked like back in 2004, it's damn amazing. I don't like how the shadows dither out though, looks pretty bad.

I shot a video of the first 4 minutes of subways, but can't quite seem to upload it to YouTube :(

edit: looks like DailyMotion works :D

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
More gameplay-footage :
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/690825/Left_4_Dead_DirectFeed_Gameplay_Footage.html

I'm guessing there's only one human in this team as the rest look like pretty basic AI.
And as for the zombies ... part of their behaviour can be forgiven (they're zombies), but there's bits and pieces of their behaviour that feel like cheating instead of zombie-like behaviour.

The overall gameplay looks rather limited (altough I'm sure it's fun in an Invasion/Horde-sort of way on-line against the AI) and the layout of the maps does look confusing at times, but that's probably the best one can achieve when trying to model a city in a non-open world game. Heck ... this game would be completely insane if they really had an open-world instead of linear maps.

It's not on live! yet unless the usa got it first and the rest of the regions are on the waitinglist.

And as for the Steam-version ...

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Just played through once offline, and damn that was fun! I so didn't expect what was coming in the room with the minigun, and afterwards realised why it was put there.

Can't wait for the full game to arrive!

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
More gameplay-footage :
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/690825/Left_4_Dead_DirectFeed_Gameplay_Footage.html

I'm guessing there's only one human in this team as the rest look like pretty basic AI.
And as for the zombies ... part of their behaviour can be forgiven (they're zombies), but there's bits and pieces of their behaviour that feel like cheating instead of zombie-like behaviour.

The overall gameplay looks rather limited (altough I'm sure it's fun in an Invasion/Horde-sort of way on-line against the AI) and the layout of the maps does look confusing at times, but that's probably the best one can achieve when trying to model a city in a non-open world game. Heck ... this game would be completely insane if they really had an open-world instead of linear maps.

It's not on live! yet unless the usa got it first and the rest of the regions are on the waitinglist.

You make an awful lot of critique for not having played a public demo that's available to the.. you know.. public.

The gameplay is heaps fun and is something entirely new. I've played the demo maps probably 30 times now and it's still fun as heck and doesn't feel repetitive. It's challenging in the very best sense of the word on the hardest difficulty.
And yeah the zombies are zombies. They will try to attack pipe bombs, and don't know how to open doors so they will bash through them instead. I haven't experienced any "odd" behaviour on them and you'll find it challenging to break their pathfinding with how they vault over obstacles, climb walls, give or take trying to stay out of your view and breaking down obstacles for some of the bosses.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
More gameplay-footage :

Have you even played the game yet? Cuz everything you just talked about is totally wrong. Please play the game first before you go shooting your mouth off about it.

I'm loving this Demo so far, but I can understand the criticism about limited gameplay. This isn't any kind of in-depth puzzle/shooter hybrid or anything. :)

BUT if you want some sweat inducing, bawls to the wall "WTF WAS THAT?!? *BOOMBOOMBOOM" horror/shooter fun this is the game for it!

I only wish I could try spawning into a game as a zombie.

Think I'm gonna search around for some links to see if this is gonna have a full out editor. (Updated Hammer or something?)

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Yeah, and it's pretty damn useful. Without it, the game would suck, because sometimes you will never know if people are ahead of you or behind you.

That's something I found to be unnecessary in a horror game. It would ruin some of the fear factor.

I suppose I'll try the demo.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The demo is incredibly mindless fun. Think Serious Sam but with Zombies, I mean that level of insanity in many parts and just plain run and gun, balls to the wall, etc. the whole time you are playing. I've played through the demo several times on varying difficulties and it can get rather crazy. For example, try Advanced on Level2, but just hang around the beginning instead of progressing on. Eventually the witches find you, and eek gads that is insane. I'm really looking forward to the full version.

the only thing that really bugs me terribly is the flashlights. And by that I mean the fact that if you turn your flashlight off you can't see squat, even if people around you have them. You can't do more than tell that they have them on, and it can be really aggravating particularly when you are running around the witches.