UT3 DM-Grinder [PC for now, PS3 cook later]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
Name: DM-Grinder

Version: Beta

Compatibility: UT3 patch 1.2 and 1.3

Description: A remake of the classic UT map, Grinder

Comments: This was on the "not yet done" DM remake list over at BU, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Yes there is a BSP remake of this already but this is my version of it, UT3-ified.

Screenshot:

Credits: Elliot "Myscha" Cannon for the ORIGINAL grinder (Of course I made a few layout changes) and Pinnacle for the Post process inspiration.
Homepage: http://www.devmods.com
Download for PC here:

http://files.filefront.com/DM+Grinder+Betarar/;11530498;/fileinfo.html

I hope I didn't forget anything before submitting this :)

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Well did forget to give due credit to the Epic level designer that made this in the first place...

So it can just me myself and I on credits...

also the colors aren't working that well bright spots dark areas no balance on the lighting..

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
Hmm perhaps that bright spot is the light for the weapon pickup reflecting on the wood, perhaps I can do something about it. And yeah, we're on patch 1.3 and still no fixes for the editor bugs so far...

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I agree with Mozi, those overpowered lights over the shadows ...mm...very unbalanced ...you can test by manipulating the light radius instead the color lights and same time reduce only a bit that shadows,, anyway interesting map
and

"Credits: Me, Myself and I"

No offense mate...Reminds to an Jim Carrey movie ....I dont recall perfectly what was the movie name, anyway I think there was an original author in this map? If so you should put the first author name dont you? :D

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
Hmm perhaps that bright spot is the light for the weapon pickup reflecting on the wood, perhaps I can do something about it. And yeah, we're on patch 1.3 and still no fixes for the editor bugs so far...

Looking good, but yea. The lighting is really overdone.
The 'molten steel' looks much better than the fire coming through the grates too. I like the changes to the center ramp to (into a jump pad.)
Still lacking in effects though imo, and texturing is to universal in the map as their is little variations in area's that could use some. (like the crescent hall)
Oh and just to point out incase you didn't notice, the hall in the original is crescent shaped not rectangular.

Anyways goodjob. :D

Crayfish

Jun 30, 2008
Bret, this level is just gorgeous. It looks like it was designed by the same architect who build the bridge in Suspence! Unlike the other posters I don't see why a level cant run with this stark strip artificial lighting look, I'd say the main problem with 80% of 3rd party maps is washed out, low contrast flat lighting. It looks great to me, maybe tone it down, but not by too much.
Just a couple of minor aesthetic tweaks that imho would really finish this map off nicely:
grindercritda5.jpg

Other than those, maybe a few weeds growing out from the edges of the floor would tie in well with the creeper growing up the walls and help break up the stark line where the dark brick walls meet the light floor boards.
Fantastic work, really looking forward DMing on the final release of this.

btw Bret whats with the pseudonyms and the non map-linking signature, faux modesty? You maps are great, so let people know, especialy when you've made the only really high standard War map..

Crayfish.

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
The credits are meant as a joke, but eh whatever. Thanks for the suggestions crayfish I'll work on those when I have time...

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
DM-Grinder-RE

First some quick comments on the UT and UT2004 versions, then this revised edition for UT3.

DM-Grinder (for UT) >> lots of stuff going on with lava below and space sky above, ramps, z-axis, varied lighting, good bots, good gameplay.

DM-Grinder2k4 (for UT2004) >> darker theme, strange colors, no curvy flak room that I liked in UT version, purple sky, better lava, other weapons/items changes, good gameplay.

DM-Grinder-RE (for UT3) >> no preview shot that some people like; still no curved flak room like the original but I understand this is actually remake of the UT2004 version. Two shock rifle pickups is kinda strange and I would have preferred a second flak cannon.;) Nice details, trim, effects and colors that somehow look better than the UT2004 version. I liked the meshes, visuals, lighting, edges, gritty appearance and brick textures.;) What's bloom and PP?;) Mine's off so no problem there.:) Layout works with good bots and makes for good and fun gameplay!