ATI Crossfire Takes On Nvidia SLI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
ATI fires the next blow in the battle of video technology with their Crossfire solution. Unlike ATI's rival, Crossfire will not depend on game specific profiles will work with almost any Direct3D or OpenGL game, but it will require specific motherboard support. Anandtech has an in-depth look, complete with benchmarks. HardOCP and Tech Report have previews as well. (Thanks, Shack)

Looking at all the features, if performance ends up equal or in ATI's favor, we have to consider CrossFire the more interesting solution. The flexibility of easily using multiple displays along side multi-GPU performance combined with the option of enabling higher quality AA (including rotated grid SSAA) is impossible to ignore. Add to that the ability to upgrade existing hardware without needing an exact match and we are sold.

... The performance of the solution was equally impressive; at 1024x768 the dual GPU CrossFire setup improved performance by 49%. At 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 the performance went up by 72% and 86% respectively. We had our doubts that ATI would be able to offer performance scaling on par with what we've seen on NVIDIA's SLI but these initial numbers, despite being run on early hardware/drivers, are quite promising.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Based on those pictures, I hope that ATI has a good legal department. Last time I checked, that kind of video card linking was patented by 3dfx, aka nVidia.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
ah.

Well the actual physical linkingof the cards is almost identical.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Royall said:
100% more price for less than 100% more performance. Why would anybody actually spend so much money on video cards? Just one of those should run any game just fine!
Some people (like me ofcourse) want to be able to run UE3 games at 1600x1200 14xAA (6xAA+6xAA+2xSS) at a very liquid smooth frame rate. ;)

BTW, 2xSS is Supersampling which basically will render the game at 3200x2400 (1600*2 and 1200*2) and shrink it down to 1600x1200 to fit on your monitor and give you SUPERIOR quality (such as the sharp Malcolm wallpaper we saw).

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Royall said:
100% more price for less than 100% more performance. Why would anybody actually spend so much money on video cards? Just one of those should run any game just fine!

Not necesarily.
One of the ideas is that you can buy 1 card now, and have good performance.
Once newer games become available, requiring better hardware, you can get another card which will have dropped in price by then, and add it.
Of course this won't mean twice the performance, but it won't be twice the price either, and it could end up being cheaper than getting a whole new card with similar performance (alone).

A friend of mine voiced a concern about availability of older cards, which is something that could screw this thing up of course...

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Retodon8 said:
A friend of mine voiced a concern about availability of older cards, which is something that could screw this thing up of course...
No worries... Just buy the card when its just about to get extinct, even if you dont and its not available, just buy the cheapest video card out on the market and itll prolly be under $100 at that time. ;)

jb

May 22, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Bazzi said:
Wasn't it internal on the voodoos?

The V5 5500 and the V5 6000 (for all 3 of them that every got out) had their SLI built into the PCB. The Voodoo1s and V2 had to use pass through cable very simular to ATIs method.

The thing that I like is the extra FSAA modes we get as I enjoy a nice AA image :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Royall said:
Congrats. You have tunnel vision.

Once I get to redoing my computer, I'll probably be sticking with ATI and this Crossfire setup. Of course, that probably won't be until next summer... Wonder what kind of things they'll have come up with by then. :eek:

The super tiling or whatever they called it sounds very nice and makes perfect sense. Leave it to ATI to out-do nVidia as usual. ;)

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
Royall said:

Then why does anybody buy an Athlon 64 CPU bigger than 3000+?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
'cause everyone believes they want to have a bigger e-penis ;)
// ---
Crossfire appears to be the technical superior system compared to SLI, but time has proven that technical excellence doesn't have to be a succes ...

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
hal said:
One thing to note... the ATI solution is compatible with a range of cards - not just an identical card.

THAT is kickass!

Having to have identical cards is the one drawback of SLI.

I'd imagine, though, that having two cards that were not the same "strength" would cripple the faster card, making it to run only as fast as the lesser card. Is this correct? or does Crossfire use the full resources of both cards? (I haven't been able to look further into this yet)

If the stronger of the two different cards was handicapped to the level of the weaker card, then there's really no advantage other than convenience.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
My understanding is that if a card has 16 pipelines and is mated with a card that has, say 12, then both will utilize 12. The thought is that one card would always just be waiting on the other. It's more of a convenience thing.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
So then there wouldn't be any reason to buy an ATI-Pretty_Good_Card today and then a few months couple it with an ATI-Much_Better_Card, when two ATI-Pretty_Good_Cards would do just the same.

Kirin[SC]

恐いハチミツボイ
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville NC
www.saphiria.net
I kind of like this in a way ... with this setup, I could buy a Radeon X800 now then when the next graphics cycle comes along, I could buy the next Radeon up, giving me two Radeons to play with, one better than the other. Then when the next cycle comes along, the next Radeon will replace the X800, while the X800 will be a budget card by then.