CTF-Egyptian-Harbors-2004 conversion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
Error unzipping the .ut2 file :(

Verify on your end that it's OK, then try re-uploading it.

BIG-MICK

Jan 6, 2003
scotland
Visit site
Lise said:
Error unzipping the .ut2 file :(

Verify on your end that it's OK, then try re-uploading it.

Hi Lise ...I Moved my own map file ..and downloaded the zip from the posted link ...extracted the map and played it!.. works fine!

Had a lot of downloads and your's is the first reported Error I have had!
may be you copy was corrupted in the downloading :(

Lise

Mar 16, 2004
My take:

The outside runs too slow. :( I have my settings on all normal on a GF3 Ti500 and it's unplayable outside... I don't get that on other maps. The outside seems a bit "cluttered" too - maybe you could tone it down a bit?

Also, why no pretty particle effects for the boosters?

I love the teleporters though - I'll let others figure out what they are :D

It needs polish, Mick, but it could easily be a good map. I like the whole "bouncing around the harbor" idea.

Oh, and the skybox jitters when you turn. :hmm:

Last edited:

BIG-MICK

Jan 6, 2003
scotland
Visit site
Lise said:
My take:

The outside runs too slow. :( I have my settings on all normal on a GF3 Ti500 and it's unplayable outside... I don't get that on other maps. The outside seems a bit "cluttered" too - maybe you could tone it down a bit?

Also, why no pretty particle effects for the boosters?

It needs polish, Mick, but it could easily be a good map. I like the whole "bouncing around the harbor" idea.

Oh, and the skybox jitters when you turn. :hmm:

Thanks for trying it Lise I know it isn't perfect! but I still like it
I will try and answer some of your comments

The low frame rate issues in the central harbor were stated in the read-me
as I said their I made the harbor too big and open and it was a absolute nightmare to optimize..But I wanted to make it authentic and these Egyptian harbors were just that large open areas so I had to go with that ..The frame rate from then on controlled what I had to add Namely The clutter and I agree with you the harbor is cluttered .
It Could be mostly down to the addition of the large Monoliths in large numbers in the red base and to a lesser extent in the blue base these don't look good and restrict visibility...But most importantly where solely put in place to house large anti-portals which were a necessary evil ...to combat the low frame rate...Likewise I started the map with lots of nice particle effects but had to remove them from the final build again because of FR.
So the moral of this story is!... When you make your maps stay clear of large open areas with lots in view as you will have to battle this tooth and nail for every frame.

PS you may have noticed in the preview picks the screens of the symmetrical version which is clutter free thats because both bases are sunken to a degree and where easier to screen with less obtrusive anti-portals so please give it a look when it comes out

Last edited:

Lise

Mar 16, 2004
Well, either way go through the map again and look for ANYTHING unnecessary. Cut down on the number of polygons and it'll be playable.

Again, I like the concept, but this map needs further optimization for non-hardcore.

BIG-MICK

Jan 6, 2003
scotland
Visit site
Lise said:
Well, either way go through the map again and look for ANYTHING unnecessary. Cut down on the number of polygons and it'll be playable.

Again, I like the concept, but this map needs further optimization for non-hardcore.

The map has been optimized as far as the design will let me go Lise apart from distance fog which spoiled the map completely.

Every static mesh has a blocking volume in place it has more anti-portals than you can swing a cat at! the cull distance on the Statics are set as low as they can go without having nasty pop-up ...All areas are Zoned
And the only BSP's in the central harbor are the ship hulls and a three of the rafts as I wanted to keep the shadow detail on certain areas and SM and decent shadows don't mix
And I didn't want to lose any of the detail on the ships as they are what the map is all about.
And lastly the setting on the large FluidSurface are set so low as to almost negate the water effect.to cut down on FR impact.
So as far as optimization is concerned it's all been done.

Had I had a more closed enviroment FR would not be a problem! but the design is what it is and FR was always going to be a problem for some.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I only have the UT2003 version

custom music fits (also in Idolworship-SE), obviously you're in Egypt with egyptian stuff (looks very good) and even boats; nice skybox, obelisks and idols as well as paths in and around bases (hard to maneuver in dock area); my bots can't defend, so I have to send them out and I defend to win (I can win the other way but it is a lot harder).