UT 99 Running Choppy with XP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ninnghizhidda

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks, I'll try the refreshrate trick this evening.
As for high FPS demands, I have them for two main reasons. First reason is input smoothness, which is much higher on, say, 150 FPS than on 60 FPS. Second one is not gameplay-related, but even more important. You see, my brother played Crysis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout 3 on this particular PC, and all these games performed surprisingly nice for such an old rig. Then why a 10 years old game works so bad on a PC quite able to handle Crysis at 1680x1050 and average settings? This is unfair.

Ninnghizhidda

Mar 11, 2010
Why would you ever need more than 60 FPS anyway? Anyway, you can try running memtest86+ to see if your RAM is OK (leave it on overnight, one pass doesn't say much), and run Prime95 Torture test for a day to see if your CPU is OK.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that I've already done that extensive Memtest scan a month or two ago. I suddenly found my PC unable to boot, so I've checked my RAM (every single module separately) several times in a row. I had 2.5 Gb RAM (2x256 + 2x1024) before, but decided to get rid of two smaller modules, because RAM bandwidth was a little bit higher that way. No module was proved to be damaged though, so I think it was just some dust in a memory slot.

I also think I should try to run some old version of 3DMark on my system to estimate how should it feel in old games. 3DMark2001SE would be the best, I suppose.

Ninnghizhidda

Mar 11, 2010
Does the desired framerate option in UT do anything?
The only effect from this option I remember is removing gibs/decals when framerate becomes too low. I've tried altering this option once again, but my framerate didn't change at all.

Modifying my refresh rate didn't help either.

Ninnghizhidda

Mar 11, 2010
Here are the results of 3 independent runs of 3DMark2001SE. As you can see, everything is not that bad:
21339 marks @ 640x480x16bit (obviously CPU-limited test)
20369 marks @ 1024x768x32bit (more GPU load)
19273 marks @ 1680x1050x32bit (max. GPU load without AA and AF in this ancient benchmark).

Looks like my system is not friendly to Unreal Engine gen. 1 for some reason.

Attachments

• 640x480-16-details.PNG
    640x480-16-details.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1024x768-32-details.PNG
    1024x768-32-details.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1680x1050-32-details.PNG
    1680x1050-32-details.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 5

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ninnghizhidda, I stopped playing UT precisely for the problems you're having. I wasn't a bad player at all but it was difficult having a decent game with clanmates on the same level with the bad performance I was getting from a new PC.

I finally found out that it was a problem with the newer graphics cards and I've heard of problems with multicore processors since. There are some workarounds like changing drivers and changing affinity settings to one CPU but these solutions aren't perfect.

Some will say that there are flaws in the way the game was written but I suspect that it's more to do with the efforts Epic made to make the game as innovative as possible before release. Imo, some standards that were supposed to be upheld were broken with release of new hardware and/or software support.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Wow, it took me a while I realized you've changed your nick, Azura :con:

Ninnghizhidda, I don't know if you're just having bad luck or something else, but I'll give some of my recommendations that may help.
First and foremost - don't use any of those "registry tweaks" - they usally just don't have any effect. I had very similar system configuration a while back and I ran UT successfully with great performance.
You did't mention exactly what Direct3D9/OpenGL renderer versions you used so I assume they were latest from here: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
Be sure to set your FrameRateLimit to something like 60...80 and not exceed 100 because otherwise it tends to give you some graphical glitches (especially in particle effects & animations). Configure your RefreshRate to match your display settings, experience has shown it affects overall smoothness (e.g. if your LCD is set to 75Hz and UT is (auto)configured to run at 60Hz, game feels choppier, of course it varies on different displays)
I'll post my current INI settings, but since you're after performance and not eyecandy you can set most of those options false. More information about each setting here: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/settings.html
Code:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=62
SwapInterval=0
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseVertexProgram=True
UseCVA=True
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=75
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
UseTNT=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-0.500000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=ATI_GPU
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

Ninnghizhidda

Mar 11, 2010
Hm, this is interesting, partially because there is a link to an entry of Microsoft KB I was not aware of. Thank you very much! I'll try this as soon as I get home.