UT3 CTF-Retro Beta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
I started this back in February and gave it a long break until last week, when I felt like mapping again :D It's very near completion, but there are still a few details and bugs to fix.

The level is based on a London Underground tube station; inspired by the film "creep", photos of abandoned tube stations, and my own visits to London. The tracks down either side of the level make for a risky path, as trains pass by every so often.

Hope you enjoy it, any feedback is appreciated :)

Download: ctf-retro-beta.zip
You'll need the titan pack to run the level, some of the new assets are used.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
wow looks amazing in the screenshots :) thought of putting in a train that passes through every now and again, would add to the realism alot and make it more interesting. :p but it does look stunning. i made a train station map once, little things like toilets and benches/bins just make it seem like it was actually alive once.

ha looked at your portfolio and was like.. OMG that was one of my favourite maps.. OMG and that one.. xD no doubt this is of equal standard :p

J112

Very Superstitious
Dec 16, 2005
I love the atmosphere you've created, you've got that creepy subway station feel down to a tee. The details really make the level for me, like the work that's gone into the posters to age them. Looking forward to the final.

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
It's a fun map. I do like the visuals and the layout.

One thing I noticed is that you have a ladder mesh, but no actual way to climb up it. What's the deal yo?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Loving it. This level proves that superhighpoly meshes aren't necessary to make an awesome atmosphere. :tup: The only thing I noticed is the Red Team has 2 LinkGuns and no Bio, and the bots are sometimes having trouble at those narrow bio paths. Other than that I think it's all right. The underground theme was a great idea and it fits the CTF concept very nicely. Good job! :)

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
Hello Ms. Hazel!

I've always been a fan of your maps, and this one is really cool too! I really like that it is uncluttered and you can actually see something apart from an assault of static meshes and bloom! Also it has some color apart from industrial browns!

Hmmm... if I had to really nitpick, I would say three things.

1) Some posters look a little bit anachronistic... like the "pony shoes" poster looks more like something for the 40s instead of a relatively modern train station. The "shark in the park" poster on the other hand looked perfect! If all the posters maintained that same GTA III/Vice City modern pop culture ridiculousness they would fit very well!

2) The control/fuse boxes with many multicolored buttons look really low res opposite higher res stuff around them. A higher res texture would really help!

3) I understand the effect that you are trying to give to the posters, where their glass cover reflects the flickering lights, but since the light sources directly above them don't flicker, the effect looks a bit weird. This last point is very minor, though, and it might be just me seeing it that way!

Other than that, the map is fantastic and it brings back memories of UT99!

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks for the feedback everyone :) The ladder has been removed and the missing bio rifle is fixed.

Just in case you miss it, the level has been renamed to CTF-Strand and released here:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=186253

3) I understand the effect that you are trying to give to the posters, where their glass cover reflects the flickering lights, but since the light sources directly above them don't flicker, the effect looks a bit weird. This last point is very minor, though, and it might be just me seeing it that way!
The posters are meant to be back-lit by flourescent lights, so they flicker a bit.