Jailbreak 2004c: Bug fixes we've got already, so what about features?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
Mychaeel said:
Hmm. Why did you change anything in JBToolbox.u? What did you change?
I changed JBEmitterBasket's replication of ColorRed and ColorBlue to clientside so that clients can set up what colour points they want to see flying around the locks. Then, I only need to add a checkbox to the GUI to set if the colours should be normal (ColorRed = red, ColorBlue = blue) or reverted (ColorRed = blue, ColorBlue = red). And if the GUI beacon was different in JB3 too (the dot pointing to the switch, pulsating faster if there are more people jailed), I'd change that as well.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
So, I've finished RC1 of JBAddonOvertimeLastChance. While testing I've noticed that though I can't release in overtime with the addon, switch plays opening animation and the message "jail is empty" is shown. At first I've tested it in 1x1, so looking at this I thought that I've coded something wrong and my "return false" doesn't do anything. This may confuse players when playing with the addon, so I suppose the message should be shown and anim is played only if player can really release the team. I'll start making the second the switch addon today and later will merge it.

2Tarquin - if you're about that post about CoolDude making the JBAdonJailFights, I've read it.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
_Lynx said:
So, I've finished RC1 of JBAddonOvertimeLastChance. While testing I've noticed that though I can't release in overtime with the addon, switch plays opening animation and the message "jail is empty" is shown. At first I've tested it in 1x1, so looking at this I thought that I've coded something wrong and my "return false" doesn't do anything. This may confuse players when playing with the addon, so I suppose the message should be shown and anim is played only if player can really release the team.

Yeah. I'd say you need to change the switch behaviour.
You could have the padlock vanish entirely when the game enters overtime. Or you could change the way it looks -- maybe change the basket emitter to a spherical swirl, a neutral colour for both teams, eg gold? Something so the padlock looks enclosed.
You'd need a message when players try to release too: "Overtime: your team can not be released."
We should maybe start a new thread for this one.

_Lynx said:
I'll start making the second the switch addon today and later will merge it.

Do you mean the switch toggle type ideas? I think those should be apart from Last Chance.

Last edited:

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Finished the base for Release Switch Flip - it works, but may be it needs some tweaking. On the padlocks, may be that "forbidden" sign that shown on the locked vehicles?

Last edited:

ChaosJester

May 26, 2004
as an non-gameplay affecting feature, a addon that would turn the release switch meshes into cans would be interesting.

KZXten

Apr 2, 2005
MD
I know I'm new to this and this thread, I am finishing a server (UT2K4) and have JB loaded. I was thinking as I played JB on another server ( I frequent Vortex's Fragfest which has JB loaded) that being jailed with nothing to do can be boring. As I was loading JB on my server I liked the JB Hammer from JBIII and found that it might be fun. I also ran three ideas that I had that sounded like fun or being funny:

• Funny - The big blow up hammers at the carnival with squeaky sounds when getting hit, maybe building up adenaline by fractions versus a point a hit. This could also be modified with a gravity type mod that an alt hit might swing from the side and knock the opponent across the jail and primary fire just hit on the head?!?!

• Fun - JB INVasion while in jail?!?! maybe too much

• Fun - JB SkaarjFest? Mutate to different monsters and have the royal rumble in jail, this could possibly be taken out side of the jail combining two fun game types JB SkaarjFest.

Just a couple more ideas.

Last edited:

dalton

Beware, I have 3 Brothers in Arms ;)
Nov 2, 2002
www.clanlessfun.com
Idea - Team Jailfight

If there is an equal number of prisoners on each side, let them all battle for freedom.
Dont know if this is possible in existing maps (due to no mapping experience), one problem I could come up with is that there are only two spawn points in any arena ?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
(I have not read all the thread, I hope I won't repeat...)
Another little idea that would be nice is Re-skining the playerStats screen (F3 key) to fit it with the Jailbreak HUD... ;)

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
All the people who've posted recently to say they're interested in taking on projects -- how are they coming along?

I should say that Jailbreak has a very loose team structure. There's no organizer to tell you to go ahead and do stuff -- just do it :)
So you sort of have to motivate yourself...
but you can post on this forum for feedback, ideas, help, testing and so on, and please do!

Lastly, prod me if you want news coverage of your project on the PJB site. With screenshots please if possible.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Well, I PM'ed Mychaeel links to the latest builds of two addons I'm working at. I'm not sure if you want these links to be posted on the public forums, but If you'll want - tell me. Both of them are working, but may be they need some polish. I hope I will have time to do it, as now I'm under risk of being recruited into our army without even finishing my education. What will happen - I don't know. I can tell what to expect only after 29th of April. If I'll disappear after that date - It's most likely that I'll be a soldier of the worst army ever for the next two years.

So, tell me, should post the links here or PM them to you?

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
_Lynx said:
So, tell me, should post the links here or PM them to you?

It's really up to you.
When we were developing the first release we worked in the private forum board, but now maps and things tend to be developed in the public forum.
It can be useful to get feedback from the community, as long as you make sure that they know what they are downloading is a beta version.

(I don't have access to UT200x at the moment :( )

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Two more ideas:
1. VehicleJailbreak maps should use a different prefix than standard maps (e.g: VJB-Oasis). There should not be any problem with the existing maps (Alarscia & Oasis) because they will be updated... :D

_Lynx said:
I'm not sure if ther's a way to set the round length via addon.
Mychaeel said:
Well, you can always simply respawn everyone after a certain time. UTJB 20x and Jailbreak III had that feature built-in as a fail-safe device when bots got stuck in their attempt to release the human player in offline games.
2. If the time limit for each round can't be changed with an addon, is possible adding a 'Round Limit' option in the 'Game Rules' menu, next to 'Time limit'?
Blocking the switches or respawning all players are good ideas, including both options would be cool... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Something that just struck me while thinking about the addons...
  • With so many addons affecting the release switch behaviour, conflicts may arise.
  • Also, don't forget that some maps have more than one release switch per team, some of which open the same jail, others of which open separate jails.

Mychaeel

ZedMaestro said:
With so many addons affecting the release switch behaviour, conflicts may arise.
As long as all of those mutators restrict themselves to the interface provided by JBGameRules, the worst thing that could happen is that one of two incompatible add-ons would simply not work.

If there were two or more mutators which do conceptually incompatible things with switch behavior, it'd be a good idea to set their GroupName property to the same value to make sure only one of them can be selected at the same time.

Ravu al Hemio said:
I changed JBEmitterBasket's replication of ColorRed and ColorBlue to clientside so that clients can set up what colour points they want to see flying around the locks.
Well... but JBEmitterBasket is purely client-side; replication doesn't apply (and, since that setting is supposed to be purely client-side, not a good idea to start with).

Okay, but leave the Nostalgic Switch Colour Swapping to me, okay? I think I've got a pretty good trick how to do it without playing too much with the code...
Quite simply, the SetDefendingTeam function should simply switch colors based on a configuration setting, say, Class'Jailbreak'.Default.bReverseSwitchColors. Adding the checkbox to the GUI should be done in core code, so I'd reserve that part for me to do.

I can give you CVS read/write access so you can add the necessary changes to JBEmitterBasket. Send me an email to mychaeel@planetjailbreak.com if you like.

Last edited: