2k4 and Maya

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Few problems with Maya

First of all I can never get the doc server to start so I have been w/o help for a few months now. When I start Maya I get the message: Warning: Unable to start DocServer

When exporting meshes I ahve discovered that there is no collision for Karma so vehicles and ragdolls go through them. I am using PLE and have the exporter set up and supposedly I can export my visible geometry and collision model at the same time as long as I name the collision node MCDCX_MeshName. This never works and whenever I try it, I get the message export complete, but when I crack the Static Mesh browser and look at the mesh it's got the mesh name in the left pane, but there is no visible mesh and the info at the top of the window has it listed as having zero polys...

I've tried swapping positions in the hierarchy, I've tried exporting seperately but always the MCDCX_ causes the zero poly thing.

History is deleted on all objects, and the exporter help says all I ahve to do is prefix the node name and UED will know to apply it as a model for whatever mesh has that surname.

So far the only way to get collision has been to export my visual geometry, then export the collision model in the same way, place the collision model in the level at the appropriate spot. And since you can not convert to brush something directly imported from Maya PLE, I create from selection a new mesh of the collision model version of the mesh to myLevel, delete the collision version, then place the new mesh, convert to brush, delete the new collision mesh, then save as collision for my visual mesh. When you have thirty meshes to import you wouldn't believe how incredibly time consuming and confusing that process is when you get half way into it with namesand renames to keep track of and how far you've gotten lol...

Can someone hook me up with the knowledge to do this in one shot?

-\Zeta-

Rave-0-Lution
May 22, 2004
canada
so u installed the plugin? in the Cd play???

ho yea .. i gess its normal.. u may aply the Colision yourself .. or import as .ASF

hem .. im just messeed whit this ..

i got maya .. i can make stasic meshe ? .. but .. how i can see a tutorial? lol .. im just tired .. in 2k3 .. there it was a page to find where i can get started ..

my question is : HOW CAN I IMPORT MESHE MAYA 5.0 VIA UED2k4 3.0
(no tutorial for this on net so sorry to not responding to ur question )

BTW: i play ur map all the time .. ONS

Last edited by a moderator:
ColdFusion][? cool thank you :D

If you want to export objects from Maya, then you need to get a plug in. Which one you get depends on whether you are using the complete or the PLE version. PLE only accepts plug-ins written specifically for it. (which is why I can't export an ASE file :()

I need a little more back ground on what your position is before I can help you more. I'm sure I can get you hooked up though. It's easy to do, but it's just obscure.

Are you using the PLE?
Did you get the 2k4 DVD special edition?
I'm not sure if the PLE came with the other releases of 2k4.

I solved the doc server problem. I went into administrative tools and looked under services and for some reason the help server was disabled... So I just changed it to manual and it works just fine.

Still haven't sussed collision models. I also need to figure out how to export vertex colors as well, but it seems there is some step I am missing during export. I can get the vertices colored in Maya, but UED doesn't recognize them. It only recognizes the white and applies that to the whole object.

-\Zeta-

Rave-0-Lution
May 22, 2004
canada
i bought the 6 cd version and i installed the 2k4 plugin for maya 5.0

Attachments

• mayaversion.JPG
    mayaversion.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ut2k4.jpg
    ut2k4.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 50

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
Sometimes Maya Help works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a PITA, but if you want it to always work do this: In Windows Explorer or My Computer go here: C:\Documents and Settings\[current user]\My Documents\maya\5.0PLE\docs\UT2004 Help

When you open maya is there a UED Export shelf? If so the rest is pretty much cake.

The easiest way to export a mesh is to open the level you want it to go in.

Then click over to the Export shelf in maya, highlgiht the object you want to export then hit the export static mesh button on the Export shelf, a dialog box will pop up asking you for package and group and mesh name. If you already have a map with a myLevel static mesh, then scroll down to myLevel for package. If not, then you can pick create new package and type myLevel and click ok, then for group whatever you want and name whatever you want. hit ok

You will see a message at the bottom right of Maya telling you if it was successful or failed.

-\Zeta-

Rave-0-Lution
May 22, 2004
canada
sandorski said:
Sometimes Maya Help works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a PITA, but if you want it to always work do this: In Windows Explorer or My Computer go here: C:\Documents and Settings\[current user]\My Documents\maya\5.0PLE\docs\UT2004 Help

no .. not there :( ..

i guess the installer has bug .. becauz i haved help whit maya ple4.0 ..i dont understand .. if the help for 2k4 maya is not so heavy .. can u plz seend me to hidraultra@hotmail.com

-\Zeta-

Rave-0-Lution
May 22, 2004
canada
sandorski said:
[current user] is the User you are logged in as in WinXP.

yes .. like i sayed .. its not there! .. only maya folder i got is the docs for maya like the file .. the is no help comme whit it .. i know what u are trying to tell me but i can't open the help file .. (there is no one on my comp) and whit maya 4.0 for 2k3 .. i haved those .. i dont get why .. but if U Got this folder ... can u e-mail me this in a rar file? .. thx

Ultraspec_x

Aug 19, 2005
This is what worked for me..

When I hit the help button inside Maya, and I am on 7.0 now, I get the errormessage cannot connect to localhost 4449..yada yada yada..
I just opened up internet explorer & typed in the address Maya could not connect to. I got an FTP type connection where it shows you the folder
Maya 7 us english, whatever and opened it up, & whalla, there it was..hope this helps anybody, because I couldn't figure it out after long searching on the web..any questions about what i mean just reply back..;)

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Ya thats right,now i know why I skipped maya, all for apple computers,and they throw in those bugs and not do anything about it,help server? i mean thats rediculas,and what pushed me to the limit, i had to install quiktime,,hell i trashed maya in like 3 times of running,was just so stupid about the help problem.
i got bit torrent instead...........