Unreal Engine 4 Free for Schools

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
In a rather generous move, Epic Games announces that Unreal Engine 4 will be free for schools and their students by signing up (and being approved, no doubt!) at the UnrealEngine website. Certainly putting your tools in the hands of the next generation of designers is a good thing.

Some highlights:

• Leading Platforms. Use Unreal Engine 4 for all major platforms including PC, mobile and VR.
  • For Artists and Designers. Build complete games with Blueprint visual scripting, no coding required.
  • For Programmers. Study, examine and extend Unreal Engine 4's multimillion-line codebase through the GitHub community.
  • Learning Materials. In addition to the tools, features and code, Epic provides free tutorials, extensive documentation, AnswerHub support, complete sample projects, wiki and forum access, as well as weekly livestreams because open access to the engine, information and the people behind it all is the best way to learn game development.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
In a rather generous move, Epic Games announces that Unreal Engine 4 will be free for schools and their students by signing up (and being approved, no doubt!) at the UnrealEngine website. Certainly putting your tools in the hands of the next generation of designers is a good thing.

Some highlights:

• Leading Platforms. Use Unreal Engine 4 for all major platforms including PC, mobile and VR.
  • For Artists and Designers. Build complete games with Blueprint visual scripting, no coding required.
  • For Programmers. Study, examine and extend Unreal Engine 4's multimillion-line codebase through the GitHub community.
  • Learning Materials. In addition to the tools, features and code, Epic provides free tutorials, extensive documentation, AnswerHub support, complete sample projects, wiki and forum access, as well as weekly livestreams because open access to the engine, information and the people behind it all is the best way to learn game development.
Free for schools, free for schools, omg.
That reminds me of the time when I last went to school and I bought their hype about the technologies and new education methods and it turned out to be one big brainwash and blown out shit. Before it was about google, now it's unreal engine. BWAHAHA no thanks. I'll stick with the old shit.
I pity today's students. I saw it all happening slowly and slowly. And this will be our only dish before students and criminals start running europen union again! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Wow, that escalated quickly.

I think this is a great idea and a classy move for UE4. This next generation coming up will use things like this like we used cartoons and penmanship. I already see a huge change in the daily exposure that my kids have versus what I did at their age. Tools that seem complex to us will be a part of their daily use because that will be the norm for them.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
That's great news, I remember the shitty freeware software my school could afford which would hardly run on the donated computers we had. I was lucky to have an actually functioning pc at home.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Epic's handing free stuff out like candy it seems.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's awesome that they're doing this but... I hope they have the finances for all of this.