Request for comments on a new M203 aiming method

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GruntX

Ruperts Handle war. Grunts Do war.
Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
100..? :) 200..? :hmm: 300..? :confused: 400..? :( ****!!! :mad:

We need a useful way to estimate range. One can learn how much of a man is covered by the front sight at some ranges. This works in the real life because our real eyes do not use pixels. This does NOT work in a computer game because it depends on pixels. In INF, this only work at around 50m to 150m. At 150m, this does not work with the Sig. We need a rangefinder to make a freeaiming laddersight accurate.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
keihaswarrior said:
There is no reason why it can't be breathing control and tilt aiming at the same time. It isn't like you really need to steady your breath when using a nade launcher anyways.

Exactly! For the most part the breath control on the M203 seems superflurious, Besides that Beppo has already shown that it is possible to stack multible mutators on the ALT-fire key this would just be one more.

Streaks, the thing I don't like about the way the HK is done now is this, the range on the weapon is instant. IMHO this kind of speed in adjusting the range is unrealistic. Hit a button and boom your right on the same range every time. This eliminates the need to adjust the weapon to gain the right distance and takes user skill out of the equation. The other thing is that the distance is always exactly in 100M increments. What if I need to adjust to 150M? I would have to fudge the aim to compensate. Again, Unrealistic.

What I am suggesting seems to me to be a natural progression of the FreeAim tm system. The idea is to give the user the control he or she would have IRL. I think this sytem given a short amount of time would become as second nature as the freeaim system now.

Streaks

Crunchings and munchings!
Mar 25, 2001
VA
www.incomeforliving.com
Hrmm....well I will give you the in-between range bit, it's always been cumbersome to me as well. However, I _never_ use the sites on the nade launcher. I simply have become used to it's trajectory :) Though, I would begg to ask, what do the sights on the real weapon look like? If they are represented realistically in the game, why change them?

My only real hangup with the M203/HK is that (much like true sniping) maps aren't always designed well for them. Often they are used against ONE guy.....and here I thought it was an anti-squad weapon or a room cleaner. :)

I'd toss this one in the pile right behind "need a way to aim frags ;)

Streaks (just rib'n ya)

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Some of the more recent maps are a lot bigger e.g. RTK, and can actually use the 40mm for what it was meant to be used for. I use the 40mm for room clearing quite extensively. Unfortunatly this requires that I not be in close proximity to the room I want to clear as the grenade has to have a certain amount of distance to arm.

Of course this is what hand grenades are used for. Unfortunatly there is no way to aim grenades so that they don't bounce off the door or window frame.

Maybe I should have pointed this out in the "INF's already pefect and being able to aim is for wussies" forum :D

N'kEnNy

Aug 1, 2003
I live here, Really.
www.ns-co.net
I don't really use the 40mm launchers in infiltration. (mostly because its silly to see everyone using it. But thats beside the point) So I'm afraid I cannot provide any real input regarding your improved aiming method suggestion.

Your aiming suggestion assumes the weapon uses the "leaf" sight correct? I've read there is also a Quadrant sight avalible. How does this work IRL and how would a Quadrant sight translate into Infiltration?

Link to some site or forum thread which discusses this would be highly appriciated.

Streaks

Mar 25, 2001
VA
www.incomeforliving.com
jayhova, you make it sound as though frags are difficult to aim in INF! All ya gotta do is sneak up on a party of guys and throw the frag over the wall next to them.....*bang* instant dead fireteam! Of course you gotta nail yourself in the process because of the frag landing at _your_ feet, but hey! :lol:

;)

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Well if u want to shoot an accurate nade, you would hold your breath and slightly correct your aiming while doing so, which means u can't have it tilt the weapon instead of aiming it.
I think u should be able to use the mouswheel, or just not make it analog, as soldiers IRL don't really use it like that, or at least aren't taught to.
Another note - the quardant sights, although included, are almost never used.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
You've pretty much got the picture Streaks. The problems with tossing grenades in INF is that not only can you not tell where you are aiming, due to the freeaim feature, your point of aim changes as you hold down the button. This means that even if you are aiming at the right spot to start by the time you are ready to throw the arc may be too high. While tossing a grenade over a wall is a trivial task for real people, in INF chances are that you will wind up tossing the grenade straight up.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
jayhova said:
You've pretty much got the picture Streaks. The problems with tossing grenades in INF is that not only can you not tell where you are aiming, due to the freeaim feature, your point of aim changes as you hold down the button. This means that even if you are aiming at the right spot to start by the time you are ready to throw the arc may be too high. While tossing a grenade over a wall is a trivial task for real people, in INF chances are that you will wind up tossing the grenade straight up.
I think most people agree that the simplest way to solve it would be to eliminate free-aim or make it fixed after the pin is pulled when using M67 grenades.

-- Back On Topic: jahova's idea rox.

Streaks

Mar 25, 2001
VA
www.incomeforliving.com
Well, I might poke fun at the nades, but after a while I've gotten to be quite good with them. Oh sure I had to frag myself and a lot of my buddy-bots, but now I can hit a window 60% of the time at least (though currently I am turbo rusty). It's gotten to where I actually prefer the instinct style of freeaim. I go and play other games that use the "pull and throw" method and think they are ghey :D INF allows you to moderate JUST the right ammount of energy to hurl the frag. Nothing beats air bursting one right over someone's bunker :D :D

Streaks