UT3 Patch 1.3 Is Out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
Everyone that bought the game has a right to express how they feel about it here, either it being bad or good. So, to the 'whiners' trying to defend the game is wasting their time complaining about the complainers. If people spent their hard earned money and didnt get what he had hoped for, then I can understand.

IMO, this patch was another hopeless attempt that still can't save this game. How many times have people complained about play game settings not being saved when you exit the game, custom bots, weapon drop feature, custom xhairs and so on...!? So much for the attention to instant action players that they claimed 'most' people are playing!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2171979 said:
Myself, I don't apologize for a damned thing I've said (and others have said) about UT3 that is actually true.

The prob on this forum is too much ass-kissing towards Epic, when the TRUTH is the emperor has no clothes.

Too bad the fanbwois can't get past those facts.

Know what guys? Maybe if more of you had the balls to speak up about a lousy product, we might even get a better one next time. But when you accept crap and call it "good", there's no excuse.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective then. We get comments all the time that the forums are entirely too negative. I think if you'll look around, you'll see that opinions posted on UT3 range at least 50/50. So on that count, you're dead wrong.

If you want to know my own personal opinion of the game, just read our review (I wrote the body of the review and staff opinions are sprinkled throughout). All the issues that were apparent at the time were mentioned. Let me sum it up:

BU Review said:
It (the first patch) does address a number of popular complaints and restore a few missing features, but there's so much more to go. The weak multiplayer interface is simply shocking. Not only does that part of the game not live up to the best that the industry has to offer, but it doesn’t even live up to past Tournaments. UT, released in 1999, was one of the first games to include an in-game IRC client and a community news page, both quite innovative for their time. Where are the innovations in this area in 2007? Yeah, half the people that bought the previous games never went online and all, but what about the other fifty percent? ...

...From a pure gameplay perspective, UT3 delivers in a big way. Consider it redeemed. However, it’s currently mired down in a boatload of functionality issues.

We don't squelch opinions, but we do ask that they are presented in a civil manner. People are fully aware of the good and bad issues of the game and they've all been addressed ad nauseum.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:lol: Not exactly......
More accurately, the patch is incomplete. I'm not talking about stuff that should have been included all along, like the demoguy fix for example. I am happy to wait for that fix, as long as it comes.
What i am talking about is a feature, promised to be in this patch, which is not in this patch.

You say no one else is experiencing my problem? Anuban is. But yeah only two people doesn't really mean much :lol: . I suppose that changes things a bit.
Don't forget that there are other errors in this patch which people are complaining about though.

Epic has tried to fix an incomplete game with an incomplete patch.
1. Epic has either lied and not included the screens
2. or It is just an error

either way, this is bad. Errors should be fixed by patches, not produced by them. This one probably hasn't been as thoroughly tested as epic would have us believe.
What I'm guessing happened is that the previews were fixed in beta 3 and then not refixed when they rolled back to beta 2 to make beta 4. I agree that they should be there, but I'm also not crying over them missing. At first, I couldn't even find the fix line, not sure why that belongs under Gameplay as opposed to map specific... (and maybe that is why they missed it too..).

So what errors are people complaining about with this patch? Other than the preview screens. I haven't had any trouble with it, if anything my game is more stable and the framerate is better. Even DeathBooger, who has had framerate problems since the game was released, posted the other day that the new patch fixed his problem. That's pretty good, imo.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
If we can't even be happy with the UT3 patches...
We better put our energies on what we don't want to see in the next UT instead of doing it here.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The framerate is a bit better and aside the problems I mentioned I don't have problems with the game, the other bug that annoys me may be also that sometimes udamage effect dissapears while switching over weapons, the one covering your gun, but that all sums up those bugs whih i have sometimes problem with, including linkgun one (with low fps as i said), menu one, krall hands one. I think that was all.

That doesn't mean i will not play the game because of these bugs. And these things which were promised to be in patch they really were there originally, as betatesters said, they probably backtraced it then and because there was not much space from the two releases of latest beta and this release, they didn't report it or betatesters were lazy or something or didn't notice, that happens damnit!

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
If they fixed several bugs in bonus pack maps, are they included into patch?

read: at least servers will install these three maps :)

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
The gameplay in Halo is almost as far from UT as you can get. Movement is much slower, weapons fire differently and are mostly hitscan, and you die ridiculously easily (particularly with things like sticky grenades and plasma swords).
I disagree. The gameplay in Halo compared to UT is certainly different, but to say it's almost as far away from UT as you can get is an obvious exaggeration. IMO the furthest away you could get would be through a tactical 'realistic' game - something Halo clearly isn't. UT differs from most FPSs when it comes to weapons and it's not like a projectile weapon is hard to come by in Halo. It's pretty easy to die in ut/ut3 too so I don't see how that's radically different from what you say about Halo - the only difference I see is that dodging in UT allows you to avoid fire.

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
After opening the patch up, I'm wondering how the search lights and black boxes were fixed, there's no updated map files besides Morbias inside the patch.

I see no more black boxes, but the search lights are still borked for me.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I disagree. The gameplay in Halo compared to UT is certainly different, but to say it's almost as far away from UT as you can get is an obvious exaggeration. IMO the furthest away you could get would be through a tactical 'realistic' game - something Halo clearly isn't. UT differs from most FPSs when it comes to weapons and it's not like a projectile weapon is hard to come by in Halo. It's pretty easy to die in ut/ut3 too so I don't see how that's radically different from what you say about Halo - the only difference I see is that dodging in UT allows you to avoid fire.

Sir_Brizz probably meant that UT3 and Halo are far different mostly because the Weapon System in both games are totally not the same.

If that isn't the same, most of the game isn't the same.

In Halo; the particular Weapon System also change the Health System. Basically in UT3 you rush and shoot. In Halo... spot your enemy, throw your grenade, break the shield, headshot the guy to finish him off. That's it. The other particular and ridiculous fact is that the Halo Weapon System is mostly based on the range of each weapon. So each weapon is useless against another... not in UT3. UT3 is mostly balanced... so it's all aobut the skill and not just about what weapon you have for the right situation :lol: .

I would call that "2 very different games", but yes there are similarities. You already mentionned the movements... +1

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
What I'm guessing happened is that the previews were fixed in beta 3 and then not refixed when they rolled back to beta 2 to make beta 4. I agree that they should be there, but I'm also not crying over them missing. At first, I couldn't even find the fix line, not sure why that belongs under Gameplay as opposed to map specific... (and maybe that is why they missed it too..).

So what errors are people complaining about with this patch? Other than the preview screens. I haven't had any trouble with it, if anything my game is more stable and the framerate is better. Even DeathBooger, who has had framerate problems since the game was released, posted the other day that the new patch fixed his problem. That's pretty good, imo.
Well, i agree with all this. The patch is definately good. My game does indeed run better. I also can't be bothered to go and quote the other errors that people are talking about, so you win there. :lol:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
So what errors are people complaining about with this patch?

Other than what has already been mentioned by many others here, right now my biggest prob is the random freeze-ups/crashes I'm getting. They're worse now than on 1.2 , since I can't play more than about 5-8 min. before it freezes again - in at least 4 different maps and MP or SP before I got fed up and haven't started the game since.

I've deleted/re-installed this game more than I've ever done any game, and done everything I know to do but still it's focked. I don't know if it doesn't like my 4 gigs RAM instead of 2 (like someone else here has found out) or what, but that would be ridiculous for a high-end game nowadays. It could be a newish GPU and the drivers (I'm on Cat 8.7), but I doubt it's that since 1.3 crashes way more than 1.2 did.

Seriously, there's no excuse for this **** 9 months on.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2172471 said:
Other than what has already been mentioned by many others here, right now my biggest prob is the random freeze-ups/crashes I'm getting.
If you are 100% sure that it's not due to faulty hardware or adware/viruses then it might have something to do with Fraps and RivaTuner!
I know the guy who made RivaTuner rejects any possibility that RivaTuner could lead to crashes just by being there, but fact is, that my crashes stopped
when I uninstalled RivaTuner. I didn't even revert the changes I made with it. I just got rid of it. If you have RivaTuner installed and you don't need (e.g. for fan-control) then try uninstalling it, just to see if it helps.
I also got crashes when I had Fraps running. Simply disabling it solved the problems, but what good is it if I can't run it? So I got rid of that too. Try deactivating it first to see if it helps.

In no way am I blaming RivaTuner or Fraps. I am just reporting my experiences and whether this is due to other problems on my machine, software conflicts no one can be blamed for or shoddy programming is up to the developers of those programs to find out. Try it and see if it helps.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
"dude with unreadable nick" is seriously awesome.

you kidding?? thats what it says.. but even the patch is bugged.. it didnt fix that

There are, when you get a Spree award (which is a good thing if you ask me).

And so the searchlights in the BP CTF map. Mutators also remain.

Last edited: