[Series] The Walking Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That neighborhood was probably the location where she turned into a walker. It would make since that she didn't "know" to move to another location.
In fact it is, the black dude says "she died on the bed in the other room" in the very first episode.

Why else would she have even come up to the house?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
In fact it is, the black dude says "she died on the bed in the other room" in the very first episode.

Why else would she have even come up to the house?
I forgot that she died in the house. Still, it does not stand to reason that she knows her family is there. Zombies only know that flesh is good to eat. They respond only to smells and sounds, evidently.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Wait, you're not talking about the mother zombie in the first episode? Cause that wasn't their house. They were just holed up in it for a little while.

That is true actually, but she still tried to open the door, like a normal person, rather than breaking down the door. It just seems like she faintly remembered something, if not only muscle memory.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
I forgot that she died in the house. Still, it does not stand to reason that she knows her family is there. Zombies only know that flesh is good to eat. They respond only to smells and sounds, evidently.

No. It is well established that the undead have vague memories of their life and will do things that they did in life. The girl at the gas station picking up the teddy bear - obviously a faint remembrance of what she used to do.

Darabont and Kirkman have repeatedly stated that they are following "Romero rules", and it is well established in his movies as well - particularly the original Dawn of the Dead where the undead are drawn to the mall because it was an "important place in their lives".

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Like Skold says, I don't think the idea is she knows something is there, but just faintly remembers the place.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
But where was this established in The Walking Dead? Did I miss something critical or do I need to be a ****ing zombie expert to know this? Sure, one could discern that this is the likely reason, but I saw nothing establishing this as fact.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The only hint of the zombies being able to probably recall something, in the comic book, is when one guy gets bitten and wants to be left behind near the city. So he could as a zombie, perhaps, find them again. He hoped doing so, but it's not completely sure he would be able doing so. iirc there's no real mention of the zombies recalling stuff and picking up items that remembered them of their past lives.

They just wandered about and bumped into each other and sometimes formed herds.

Last edited:
But where was this established in The Walking Dead? Did I miss something critical or do I need to be a ****ing zombie expert to know this? Sure, one could discern that this is the likely reason, but I saw nothing establishing this as fact.

I think it's just that the show (perhaps the comic too? Haven't read it yet) plays on very general zombie lore. The point is that there are probably a million reasons for why she was skulking around out there, and none of them are as good as "cus it's convenient." It's television, they needed a dramatic scene.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000

When Kirkman said in the letter column that he follows Romero rules and that it takes place in the same "world". i honestly do not know how this could be spelled out any clearer.

Edit: Clearer? more clearly? How anyone could miss this? Take your pick, it is well established nonetheless.

Last edited:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Sure, one could discern that this is the likely reason, but I saw nothing establishing this as fact.

Also, this is the whole point! The world this takes place in did not have "Night of the Living Dead". The rules are completely unknown to the survivors, and they often get them wrong (with fatal consequences)!

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
When Kirkman said in the letter column that he follows Romero rules and that it takes place in the same "world". i honestly do not know how this could be spelled out any clearer.

Edit: Clearer? more clearly? How anyone could miss this? Take your pick, it is well established nonetheless.
Okay, so it was NOT established in the show itself. There is my sticking point. Not every viewer is a fan of the comic or thoroughly investigates every facet of the series (to include the creator). Honestly, until you mentioned Kirkman's comments, I had no idea that he follows Romero's rules. To top that off, how I do I know the show follows the same rules (I have never read the comic)? After all, most movies make up their own rules as vehicles for propelling to story. In other words, about the only things that are consistent with zombies on most movies/shows are the fact that they walk around in a trance and generally attack people.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
So I really liked the first show, but I couldn't catch the two after that. I've been in NYC the past two weeks, and my hotel didn't have AMC :(. They also wanted to charge me for internet (screw that!). Anyways, I think I'm going to have to wait for one of those marathon runs or something.

SO USE SPOILER TAGS PLZ!

Last edited:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Okay, so it was NOT established in the show itself. There is my sticking point. Not every viewer is a fan of the comic or thoroughly investigates every facet of the series (to include the creator). Honestly, until you mentioned Kirkman's comments, I had no idea that he follows Romero's rules. To top that off, how I do I know the show follows the same rules (I have never read the comic)? After all, most movies make up their own rules as vehicles for propelling to story. In other words, about the only things that are consistent with zombies on most movies/shows are the fact that they walk around in a trance and generally attack people.

Understood. i guess my point is to just wait and watch. It really is being done well by people that are as geeky as us!

So I really liked the first show, but I couldn't catch the two after that. I've been in NYC the past two weeks, and my hotel didn't have AMC :(. They also wanted to charge me for internet (screw that!). Anyways, I think I'm going to have to wait for one of those marathon runs or something.

SO USE SPOILER TAGS PLZ!

k. How bout you stop reading threads about show you want to see but haven't. No one forced you to click this thread, nor told you about how Lori shoves an umbrella in Dale's eye socket. Idiot.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
k. How bout you stop reading threads about show you want to see but haven't. No one forced you to click this thread, nor told you about how Lori shoves an umbrella in Dale's eye socket. Idiot.

What? Dude, spoiler tags are there for a reason. It's just common courtesy. I'm sure you wouldn't want people who've read the comic ruining later parts for you. :p

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
So, psycho brother no.2 demands that the sheriff tells him where in the city psycho bro no.1 is, then sheriff's wife butts in & says something along the lines of "he'll do better than that, he'll show you". Said sheriff's wife then proceeds to spend the rest of the episode bitching about how he's leaving them again & how crazy he is to go back to the city, which was her fecking idea in the first place. :hmm:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
So, psycho brother no.2 demands that the sheriff tells him where in the city psycho bro no.1 is, then sheriff's wife butts in & says something along the lines of "he'll do better than that, he'll show you". Said sheriff's wife then proceeds to spend the rest of the episode bitching about how he's leaving them again & how crazy he is to go back to the city, which was her fecking idea in the first place. :hmm:

Dude. She said that because she knew he would do it anyway. Like the real world, every person here has a flaw and Rick's is he always has to be on a mission and be the hero. This is how he becomes the de facto leader of the group, but it will also lead to very disastrous results. Lori, on the other hand is a selfish bitch and shouldn't have married a police officer in the first place. Hopefully, she gets chomped sooner rather than later! :p